• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

Yes. And some others just suck at their jobs and, through years of supervisory neglect, develop a sense of entitlement to continue to.
Or the other option. milk the system from day 36 on the job. and clearly there are some kids who have received the briefing on this move. interestingly. my job's return volley, which i sort of don't blame them, is they get a doc to counter their doc. whilst tied up in process some of the "sick" end up not getting paid. the sad part of this, is some of the folks, are really unwell. and get boned the same way as the malingerers (alleged or actual) is shit. no straight line here.

Sad that the CDE/collateral damage estimate (‘the #’) isn’t zero in these affairs…both civilian and honest members of respective forces.

In Canada we still have a ways to go to figure this out. Body cams are new here and few police have them yet. It will take years for legal departments to figure out acceptable standards for public interest disclosure.
Any departmental policy I have seen on this (which, admittedly, isn't extensive) indicates that if a person is a subject in a recorded image they can make an FOI request. It will take the courts a while to sort out the 'reasonable expectation of privacy' implications. I would think venue will have a lot to do with it. There is generally no right to privacy in a public place but inside a home may be considered differently. They will also have to consider potential evidentiary impacts, disclosure, SIU (Ontario), etc.

Any departmental policy I have seen on this (which, admittedly, isn't extensive) indicates that if a person is a subject in a recorded image they can make an FOI request. It will take the courts a while to sort out the 'reasonable expectation of privacy' implications. I would think venue will have a lot to do with it. There is generally no right to privacy in a public place but inside a home may be considered differently. They will also have to consider potential evidentiary impacts, disclosure, SIU (Ontario), etc.
If any cop is caught doing something bad on camera they could always just get a doctor's note not to show up in court :D

It's the same thing in the CAF.

Someone with MELs so severe they can't work because they can barely stand but they can post pictures of themselves off-roading and pushing stuck 4x4s out of the mud. Or post pictures of themselves standing for 8 hours on a boat in a fishing tournament. I may or may not have bumped into someone skiing this week who is on sick leave because they're practically disabled.

The detective wouldn't have a difficult time getting the psychologist to explain that performing in a thrash-metal band helps his mental health.
It's really not surprising from the OPS.

Yup I've seen this too.

Meanwhile, The Peelers are under the microscope:

Independent review says London police sexist, racist and homophobic​

Report was commissioned after Sarah Everard was raped, killed by officer​

London police have lost the confidence of the public because of deep-seated racism, misogyny and homophobia, according to an independent review commissioned after a young woman was raped and killed by a serving officer.

The Metropolitan Police Service, which has more than 34,000 officers and is Britain's biggest police force, must "change itself" or risk being broken up, the report published Tuesday said.

"It is not our job as the public to keep ourselves safe from the police. It is the police's job to keep us safe as the public," said Louise Casey, an expert on victims' rights and social welfare who led the review. "Far too many Londoners have now lost faith in policing to do that."

The findings ratchet up the pressure for a major overhaul of the Metropolitan Police after a series of scandals involving its treatment of women and minorities. In a preliminary report released in October, Casey found that the department had failed to properly vet and train officers, and had allowed officers to remain on the job even after they were accused of domestic abuse or racial harassment.

Part of the problem is that there is a culture of denial in the department, with leaders adopting a "we know best" attitude that leads them to dismiss outside critics, the review found. Funding cuts, along with the decision to close local police stations and effectively end community policing, also contribute to the situation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/london-police-review-sexist-racist-homophobic-1.6785298

Jesus Christ

OPP officer guilty of sexual assault on unconscious woman and recording it to 'teach her a lesson'

A judge found Jason Redmond made a video of the assault to 'prove' the victim had a drinking problem and 'to show that anybody could rape her'

Redmond, who has been on paid leave from the provincial police service since 2015 after being involved in a local drug trafficking operation, was charged with sexual assault in 2021.

Redmond pleaded guilty to a pot-trafficking charge and was found guilty of forging documents in 2018, but was not given jail time for his crimes.

He has remained on paid leave from the force ever since. On Wednesday morning, an OPP spokesperson confirmed that despite his several convictions, Redmond is still employed.

Sexual assault
Drug trafficking
Forging documents
Does cocaine

Still a cop. I'd like to get the name of this guy's lawyer.

Jesus Christ

OPP officer guilty of sexual assault on unconscious woman and recording it to 'teach her a lesson'

Sexual assault
Drug trafficking
Forging documents
Does cocaine

Could I borrow this guy's union rep for a couple of days.

Jesus Christ

Sexual assault
Drug trafficking
Forging documents
Does cocaine

How the hell he’s still on a paid suspension after the earlier conviction is beyond me. Ontario police chiefs badly need an expanded power to suspend without pay where there are credible allegations (ie, charges) of serious criminality.

Disciplinary proceedings (necessary to fire) will go on hold while criminal matters are before the courts, so as to not screw up criminal trials. But he should have been turfed quickly after his earlier trafficking conviction.

What a POS.

I have a friend in that detachment. Both he and the other member (mentioned in the human rights article) are generally described as a waste of oxygen and will milk all of this for as long as possible. One problem for the detachment is that the positions cannot be backfilled, so they run short.

Redmond is still on the payroll because the PSA says unpaid suspension can only be invoked if he is sentenced to a "term of imprisonment". A new Act that would change that has sat unproclaimed since the the Conservatives took office.

What would be interesting to know is whether his Association is funding his defence. Indemnification in criminal matters is on a case-by-case basis and when I was involved, struggled mightily with. There are both financial and professional ethics involved in the decision making. He (they) would likely be on their own for the human reights complant. Unless things I have changed since I was in, it would not fund self-initiated actions.

Someone with MELs so severe they can't work because they can barely stand but they can post pictures of themselves off-roading and pushing stuck 4x4s out of the mud. Or post pictures of themselves standing for 8 hours on a boat in a fishing tournament. I may or may not have bumped into someone skiing this week who is on sick leave because they're practically disabled.

The detective wouldn't have a difficult time getting the psychologist to explain that performing in a thrash-metal band helps his mental health.
It's really not surprising from the OPS.
Firing these types is an immensely satisfying feeling!

When this happens it should be addressed to the Medical Section for reassessment. Sometimes MELs can be lifted earlier when there is evidence such as pictures and videos or eye witnesses indicating that the issue has changed. I am aware of one case where the mbrs 6 months MELs were lifted early in just such a case. Where you do have to be careful is that we usually know what the MEL is but not always the cause so it may be that the member can do some things that we wouldn't think but is good. Example is exercise at own pace - maybe one day the member can run a marathon and the next they can barely walk due to their back arthritis flaring up.

How the hell he’s still on a paid suspension after the earlier conviction is beyond me. Ontario police chiefs badly need an expanded power to suspend without pay where there are credible allegations (ie, charges) of serious criminality.

Disciplinary proceedings (necessary to fire) will go on hold while criminal matters are before the courts, so as to not screw up criminal trials. But he should have been turfed quickly after his earlier trafficking conviction.

What a POS.
im sure the O Dots are trying to get rid of him, but that can take years if he and his lawyer fight it tooth and nail and all the way, why......to keep getting paid as long as possible. so ya. something better is required, but will need certain provisions to ensure cops charged criminally for doing their jobs dont lose their houses vs. this guy who should have been had his pay held back on conviction for trafficking.
I have a friend in that detachment. Both he and the other member (mentioned in the human rights article) are generally described as a waste of oxygen and will milk all of this for as long as possible. One problem for the detachment is that the positions cannot be backfilled, so they run short.

Redmond is still on the payroll because the PSA says unpaid suspension can only be invoked if he is sentenced to a "term of imprisonment". A new Act that would change that has sat unproclaimed since the the Conservatives took office.

What would be interesting to know is whether his Association is funding his defence. Indemnification in criminal matters is on a case-by-case basis and when I was involved, struggled mightily with. There are both financial and professional ethics involved in the decision making. He (they) would likely be on their own for the human reights complant. Unless things I have changed since I was in, it would not fund self-initiated actions.
you called it. the police association is compelled to defend the police act side of the officer's case. so - clown's like this drag it out forever trying to cash in until they finally either throw in their cards and quit, or get convicted. a better system is needed for these types of bad apples.

We were just talking about a union in another thread. Imagine trying to administratively release a CAF member if a union were involved…

We were just talking about a union in another thread. Imagine trying to administratively release a CAF member if a union were involved…
trying to toss a cop is no simple task due to our having an association to defend the members.......ps. not unionized.......otherwise you would see cop strikes..........I am sure that if CAF went union or association (can you imagine - overtime while deployed or on ex) the end result would be similar........

The union I was in would tolerate almost anything. After probation.

But, become a public disgrace - you were fukt.

Not the same thing at all......LEO's get accused of illegal activities by every low life criminal, lawyer, social worker, etc. There needs to be more levels of protection for all the frivolous accusations they endure, but of course the scumbags that should go quick, get to hide their slimy asses behind that protection. A necessary evil....

If this was a 'normal' employee, they'd be long, long gone.

Back