• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post DEC - getting out of the house

Mediman14

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a DEC. For me, staying home is not exactly a great thing as I get into my own head. I know I could earn 20k without being penalized. I have the opportunity for a casual job but I am not sure if I could physically maintain what is required for that job. My occupational therapist was trying to pint me into a volunteer position of some sort. The volunteer positions are meaningless to me.

Depending on the reasons for your DEC, have you considered cadets? Could be volunteer, CI, possibly even CIC. Bring experience to the table, limited hours, familiarish environment. Physical requirements are pretty light. And a chance to bring light and understanding to young minds. And bring some light into yours.

Not quite “casual”, but since the focus appears to be doing something occupational rather than financial, its in the volunteer spectrum without being strictly volunteer.

Of course, if you don’t like kids, teaching or have serious PTSD, it might not be for you, but cadets is crying for people to run QM, do Admin or even run units. Having a clue about how the Regs do things might help with understanding the bureaucracy and red tape, leading to a net benefit to the unit, and a sense of accomplishment because, DEC or not, you’re the guy who gets things done. On a limited work schedule.

I'm not familiar with the acronym DEC.

What geographic area do you live?

Also, could you start a business and keep the money within the corporation (pay yourself $20k and then leave the rest in the business). I know someone who is doing that.

I'm not familiar with the acronym DEC.

What geographic area do you live?

Also, could you start a business and keep the money within the corporation (pay yourself $20k and then leave the rest in the business). I know someone who is doing that.
DEC - Diminished Earnings Capacity basically unable to make 66% of your pre release salary.

Yes, it is possible to do that as long as you incorporate.

Depending on the reasons for your DEC, have you considered cadets? Could be volunteer, CI, possibly even CIC. Bring experience to the table, limited hours, familiarish environment. Physical requirements are pretty light. And a chance to bring light and understanding to young minds. And bring some light into yours.

Not quite “casual”, but since the focus appears to be doing something occupational rather than financial, its in the volunteer spectrum without being strictly volunteer.

Of course, if you don’t like kids, teaching or have serious PTSD, it might not be for you, but cadets is crying for people to run QM, do Admin or even run units. Having a clue about how the Regs do things might help with understanding the bureaucracy and red tape, leading to a net benefit to the unit, and a sense of accomplishment because, DEC or not, you’re the guy who gets things done. On a limited work schedule.
I am afraid that I probably would not be able to part take in cadets. I am not sure if my Med Cat on release would be ok. After having three hip surgeries, spinal surgery, shoulder surgery and a bunch of MH diagnosis I might be limited.

Can’t speak to what condition you’ll be in, but it costs little to ask. Probably, or might are the operative words. After all, you’re just doing recce, not implementing the battle plan. YMMV. Cheers!

Out of curiosity, what do people who got DEC normally have for % of disability? I am at 80%. Would this put it in the realm of possibility?

It isn't based off of % of disability. Read thru the criteria below.

I'd like to know what criteria for mental health do you need to have to get DEC. I'm currently on my 2nd rehab plan, recently found short term employment (on my own, no help from pcvrs) but am struggling with anxiety related to the job. I have had another mental diagnosis which I could apply for and then include in this rehab plan but I feel like any day now, my CM is waiting to shove me out of rehab (I've had so little support) and I will be out of IRB and unable to finish my short term contract (and unable to be referred for DEC). I just don't know what criteria I need in particular to get a DEC for mental/stressor related conditions.
Any advice most welcome.

this is great even I might look into this. thank you for sharing this piece of intel.

I'd like to know what criteria for mental health do you need to have to get DEC. I'm currently on my 2nd rehab plan, recently found short term employment (on my own, no help from pcvrs) but am struggling with anxiety related to the job. I have had another mental diagnosis which I could apply for and then include in this rehab plan but I feel like any day now, my CM is waiting to shove me out of rehab (I've had so little support) and I will be out of IRB and unable to finish my short term contract (and unable to be referred for DEC). I just don't know what criteria I need in particular to get a DEC for mental/stressor related conditions.
Any advice most welcome.
I can't speak for the mental health aspect there are people who have DEC due to mental health though. If you have another condition put it in right away as it will only stand to support you in other benefits including a DEC decision.

I would make sure any issues such as anxiety in your current position is noted by a medical professional and what treatment if any and what they have to say about you working or continuing to work or not is noted. This will all help with any future DEC decision.

I can't speak for the mental health aspect there are people who have DEC due to mental health though. If you have another condition put it in right away as it will only stand to support you in other benefits including a DEC decision.

I would make sure any issues such as anxiety in your current position is noted by a medical professional and what treatment if any and what they have to say about you working or continuing to work or not is noted. This will all help with any future DEC decision.
Thanks very much for your helpful comments. I'm hoping my psychologist can mention these very things.

Back