• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

That was the normal for pay increases in the past. They are pushing this as an Economic Increase with a full Pay Increase to follow and really trying hard to sell it. I expect it to be the same as you mentioned but they are sure putting a lot of effort into convincing us otherwise. There are also lots of queries on how people are taking it. This is a top down push so originating in Ottawa with briefs to be passed on down the chain.

That was the normal for pay increases in the past. They are pushing this as an Economic Increase with a full Pay Increase to follow and really trying hard to sell it. I expect it to be the same as you mentioned but they are sure putting a lot of effort into convincing us otherwise. There are also lots of queries on how people are taking it. This is a top down push so originating in Ottawa with briefs to be passed on down the chain.
Regardless of what people are saying, smart expectation management is to not expect anything more until 2026.

That way, if for some reason the word from your CHRA is correct, it's a pleasant surprise.

He also pointed out that the TB doesn't care if the CAF is short 7K or 17K pers, there is no appetite to address it via compensation.

i knew it matthew perry GIF

I think there may be some foot-in-mouth-itis happening in comms from Ottawa. There's a reason why some things are best reduced to writing.

My CO briefed the Sqn that “the General” said there would be a top-up if the unions get over 10%. I didn’t ask which General but assumed they were at the Wing HQ getting the same brief from Ottawa via Teams or similar that all CTs got the afternoon to announcement was made.

This “there could be a top up” message is believed at the Col+ level and being briefed as genuine to Sqns, to my at least.

PS will not get more than 10%. Some PSAC unions have settled for less already. And despite the larger part of PSAC making noise, my feeling is the membership has no interest in a strike.

PS will not get more than 10%. Some PSAC unions have settled for less already. And despite the larger part of PSAC making noise, my feeling is the membership has no interest in a strike.

My sister is fed PS. She said at a recent family event that basically, most of her co-workers feel strike pay is too little and some would cross the line cause “they have bills to pay”. Words to that effect.

I also heard CRA is asking for 30%. Wow.

My CO briefed the Sqn that “the General” said there would be a top-up if the unions get over 10%. I didn’t ask which General but assumed they were at the Wing HQ getting the same brief from Ottawa via Teams or similar that all CTs got the afternoon to announcement was made.

This “there could be a top up” message is believed at the Col+ level and being briefed as genuine to Sqns, to my at least.
In my experience "the General said" had as much weight as "CJOC said", ie none. When scratching a bit deeper one finds that "CJOC" was an angry uninformed Capt, and 'the General" was the same Captain invoking words they thought they heard the General say...

My sister is fed PS. She said at a recent family event that basically, most of her co-workers feel strike pay is too little and some would cross the line cause “they have bills to pay”. Words to that effect.

I also heard CRA is asking for 30%. Wow.
Pretty much everyone that reports to me is feeling the same way. I might just take a short term class B to teach on a course or something if it comes to a strike. The govt could just lock everyone out as a tactic if they really wanted to play hardball and if they feel the membership is not with the union.

Disaster. Everything this country does is a disaster.

I dunno...

Stuff like this is pretty good - in more ways than one ;)

Biden’s chocolate gift an ‘unbelievable’ moment for its Syrian-Canadian creator​

A lighthearted moment during U.S. President Joe Biden’s visit to Canada on Friday involving the gifting of a chocolate bar meant so much more to the Syrian-Canadian whose company created the treat.
70c8fc80

Tareq Hadhad, CEO of Peace By Chocolate in Antigonish, N.S., told Global News he was in disbelief after watching Green Party Leader Elizabeth May give Biden a “Peace Bar” during a welcoming ceremony in Ottawa.

“This is absolutely unbelievable. Totally unbelievable,” said Hadhad, who was invited to Friday night’s state dinner at the Ottawa Aviation Museum as a guest of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“This is a moment for the history books for our family and we are incredibly honoured.”

I think this policy hit where it needed to. We need the newest members to be able to live on the economy and not starve. For those of us that have 12+ years in, we should have already been established and we should be able to maintain a decent QOL with this raise. There is no one size fits all solution, and I think they hit the right priorities. With that being said, I do feel for anyone in Victoria that lives in a PMQ, this is policy is going to hurt.

For the Spec 1 aircraft maintainers….. they always come across as the most entitled cry babies. You follow a book and torque some bolts, maybe change an electronic card. You can’t even use a power tool to takeout or put in a screw because you are too stupid not to strip it, so only an ACS tech can perform that function. Any problem that isn’t listed within your book, needs to be approved by an outside agency or company because of the stakes involved. They assume the risk and you are simply a parts changer and, rightfully, someone comes behind you to confirm your work, because again, the stakes are high. Yes, you had one course that was 12-14 months long, then you did a QL4 that is 3+ years like every other technical trade. The only difference is you need to do a new QL4 every time you go to a new aircraft, big deal, that just means your skills are not as flexible or transferable as other trades. It has nothing to do with the quality of the tech or their “smarts”.

To be honest, the above isn’t my usual tone, but I think it is equivalent to marking every supply tech as a “bin rat” and my description of a maintainer is more accurate than your description of a supply tech. You ignore all of the technical functions they are responsible for. Large contracts, procurement, supply chain management, brigade level planning etc. etc. I maybe missed a little cursory knowledge you need to have on turbines and testing procedures for them, that again, you can and must read out of a book to perform.

I am not within the logistics branch, but I am well aware of how important and versatile they become as they progress past the rank of Cpl. We all have a roll to play in the big wheel, the key is to not overinflate your head so it gets ran over as it turns.

I think this policy hit where it needed to. We need the newest members to be able to live on the economy and not starve. For those of us that have 12+ years in, we should have already been established and we should be able to maintain a decent QOL with this raise. There is no one size fits all solution, and I think they hit the right priorities. With that being said, I do feel for anyone in Victoria that lives in a PMQ, this is policy is going to hurt.

For the Spec 1 aircraft maintainers….. they always come across as the most entitled cry babies. You follow a book and torque some bolts, maybe change an electronic card. You can’t even use a power tool to takeout or put in a screw because you are too stupid not to strip it, so only an ACS tech can perform that function. Any problem that isn’t listed within your book, needs to be approved by an outside agency or company because of the stakes involved. They assume the risk and you are simply a parts changer and, rightfully, someone comes behind you to confirm your work, because again, the stakes are high. Yes, you had one course that was 12-14 months long, then you did a QL4 that is 3+ years like every other technical trade. The only difference is you need to do a new QL4 every time you go to a new aircraft, big deal, that just means your skills are not as flexible or transferable as other trades. It has nothing to do with the quality of the tech or their “smarts”.

To be honest, the above isn’t my usual tone, but I think it is equivalent to marking every supply tech as a “bin rat” and my description of a maintainer is more accurate than your description of a supply tech. You ignore all of the technical functions they are responsible for. Large contracts, procurement, supply chain management, brigade level planning etc. etc. I maybe missed a little cursory knowledge you need to have on turbines and testing procedures for them, that again, you can and must read out of a book to perform.

I am not within the logistics branch, but I am well aware of how important and versatile they become as they progress past the rank of Cpl. We all have a roll to play in the big wheel, the key is to not overinflate your head so it gets ran over as it turns.

I don’t know what experience you have with maintainers but your post above is right out of it.

There is a serious shortage of maintainers that has an impact on day to day functions of the entire CAF, domestically and deployments. Maybe you’re not aware of that, I am and it’s not something the RCAF and Div Comd’s are laughing at.

So they follow CFTOs. So? That’s a good thing. No one wants aircraft slamming into the ground.

For the record, what’s your trade?

I don’t know what experience you have with maintainers but your post above is right out of it.

There is a serious shortage of maintainers that has an impact on day to day functions of the entire CAF, domestically and deployments. Maybe you’re not aware of that, I am and it’s not something the RCAF and Div Comd’s are laughing at.

So they follow CFTOs. So? That’s a good thing. No one wants aircraft slamming into the ground.

For the record, what’s your trade?
Ahh. My trade is better than yours blah blah blah.

I can pretty much guarantee that my last MOSID was the one this forum would least respect.

Ahh. My trade is better than yours blah blah blah.

I can pretty much guarantee that my last MOSID was the one this forum would least respect.

Not at all “better than yours” stuff. I’m not a maintainer, never was but that post doesn’t reflect what they do or the importance of them doing it correctly.

I know a lot of techs, goes with the territory and they do some damn fine work. At my current Sqn, the Engineering Flight is likely the busiest but most understaffed.

Back