• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Yep, but 2 CMBG pers are getting more money, some Edmonton pers will get less money.

Trade you $100 bucks a month for $100 in gas to go to a Costco or anything other than a Canadian Tire/Walmart.

Trade you $100 bucks a month for $100 in gas to go to a Costco or anything other than a Canadian Tire/Walmart.
You're gasing up at the wrong spot my friend 😉

Oasis Fuels
(613) 625-1355

Oasis Fuels - Google Search

You can also secure your "medicinal" needs while you're there 🤣

Also, gas in Victoria is way more expensive than Pet, about 40 to 50 cents more 😉

Now all we need are landlords to charge the monthly allowances on top of their rent knowing CAF members get this benefit. I don’t see many junior members having enough cash, nevermind being approved enough, to purchase in the highest CFHD areas. They’ll likely have to rent and that’s when landlord shenanigans start.

Now all we need are landlords to charge the monthly allowances on top of their rent knowing CAF members get this benefit. I don’t see many junior members having enough cash, nevermind being approved enough, to purchase in the highest CFHD areas. They’ll likely have to rent and that’s when landlord shenanigans start.
Ahhhh yes, you've discovered the secret 😁

It would be even better if a few enterprising individuals with some inside knowledge started a business 😉 similar to how certain people rent IR properties exclusively.

Might be worth investigating as an investment 😁

I don't see where you're going with this.

Edmonton is losing PLD, Pet never had it. Pet troops are getting a straight-up pay raise, while Edmonton troops will be getting a pay cut, or a lower pay raise.

I'm in Ottawa, I'm one of the people that's making out like a bandit from this, so I'm not coming at this from a personal gain/loss perspective. In reality, come 1 July a S04 Cpl posted to Ottawa will make $20 more a month than I do as a S03 PO 1 right now.

Edmonton is losing PLD, Pet never had it. Pet troops are getting a straight-up pay raise, while Edmonton troops will be getting a pay cut, or a lower pay raise.

I'm in Ottawa, I'm one of the people that's making out like a bandit from this, so I'm not coming at this from a personal gain/loss perspective. In reality, come 1 July a S04 Cpl posted to Ottawa will make $20 more a month than I do as a S03 PO 1 right now.
The plan makes so little sense, it's obvious it was designed by our Government 🤣

The plan makes so little sense, it's obvious it was designed by our Government 🤣
In fairness to the CAF, I'm glad to see Ottawa become more affordable for Jr. pers, it was ridiculous for the last three years. I'm less thrilled for the MCpls and Sgts in the NCR who will only be making slightly more than their Cpls. I think that a Sgt S04 will make about $280 more than a Cpl S04 based on the new pay and HD. Seven years minimum of advancement, and significantly more responsibility, for $280 more a month before tax.

Tin foil hat: Is this a cunning plan?

My granddaughter, new Cpl Clk in Edm, living off base. My grandson, MCpl in Kingston living off base, and my son in law, MWO Kingston, paying a mtge who is ready to retire.
It does seem like FRP by other means.

Trudy mentions above that this is a gut punch to those with 8-15 in whether in Q‘s or on the economy. Couldn’t agree more.
When stokers were offered FRP in ‘94, the intent, other than the peace dividend malarkey, was to reduce the bloat within those years of service. So a ton of LS who weren’t moving up due to promotions to MS being frozen and career restricted PO2s who couldn’t or wouldn’t advance. The career restricted members jumped at it (why not..a golden handshake) as did a lot of senior bods for the same reason, including the youngish CPO2 streamers who were the future of the trade.

For some reason, the brain trust thought that LS with 8-12 years in would jump at it. They didn’t. Why would they? Back then, a LS likely had a wife, mortgage and a couple of kids. Why walk away from steady employment?

it’s this disconnected mindset between Ottawa and the coal face that I can’t wrap my head around. They were out of touch back then in encouraging the middle to stay. Seems like it’s no different now.

Is there a plan to build more PMQ’s then?
That’s a hard question to answer, since CFHA hasn’t published an ‘annual’ report in 3 years — but in fiscal year 2019/20 , the last year for which a report is available, they constructed 12 units and demolished 21, for a net loss of 9 units. The year before was much busier, with 41 new builds and 161 demolitions.

So, yes, some new ones are being built, but others are being demolished much much faster.

At least they will be able to rent without having 7 roomates. Landlords already know about PLD if they bother to research, which most don't even in military towns. Doesn't change the rental market.

From running the numbers most Jr members are getting significant (hundreds more per month) extra money to be able to actually survive . The more established members who make 80-90K are the ones who are generally going to break even or in some cases lose a bit (in a high PLD area). But their pay raise is higher which will likely make any PLD loss a wash.

Now there is the PMQ changes as well. Where they were getting PLD (yes PLD applies to members living in PLQ's) and will no longer see that. In Esquimalt thats a hit of about $9600 per year, which oddly enough will equal out from the pay raise of approx $10,000 per year for most salaries over the next two years. But Q's in Esquimalt are significantly cheaper than living on the economy so you're not going to get subsidized twice.

@FSTO there are some significant plans to build more PMQ's. Right now they are looking at private public partnerships, where the military provides the land and the buisiness builds and maintains the property. In Esquimalt they just bought out two floors of the new appartment development adjacent to the base to use as Q's. That's the sort of thing that going down. Also there is discussion that Q's will be scaled to your ability to pay, so like the PLD if you're a CPL you'll pay less and if you're the Chief who has been living in Q's for 12 years while your wife lives downtown in a house. You can GTFO and make room for those who are less established (true story). That guy is probably the first person to show great leadership by letting the troops eat first.

Here's how this is going to shake out. People are going to do their own math. They are going to decide where they are at for pay, and from there figure out if retirement or civi jobs are the way to go. There is an entire package of changes that are coming and people are going to have to decide if it works for them or not. I know that there is a silent majority who are completely fine with this, frankly lots of people are still bitching without knowing (fear). That first paycheck, without backpay is going to be the telling point. And of course a lot of it will be obscured by IPC increases, promotions combined with the pay increases, so it will be tough really knowing until the calculation is in black and white.

it’s this disconnected mindset between Ottawa and the coal face that I can’t wrap my head around. They were out of touch back then in encouraging the middle to stay. Seems like it’s no different now.
It's not so much Ottawa, as the LCol and above who make more than $50K/year more than WO/PO 1s. Most of them are so far removed from the troops making less than half of their pay, that they can't see their issues, or view it as "Well, they should have been officers. Those high school dropouts should be glad to have a job at all.".

It's not a knock on the individuals, but the longer you're removed from the lifestyle, the less you "get" it.

I was reading about someone who has knowledge of how Australia apparently handles these types of pay and benefits for their military, a bump for everyone regardless of rank and a pay raise to keep up with inflation. Why does every benefit we have, have caveats or otherwise strings attached to keep everybody so frigging unhappy.

I'm saying Petawawa has an incredibly high cost of living for junior members that matches Edmonton but with the added burden of no city amenities. By all rights Edmonton should have had PLD reductions years ago after the crash if we were properly adjusting PLD rates annually. I'd argue the housing issues in Petawawa get close to what Cold Lake was experiencing during the oil boom, except there's at least some PMQs here (but almost no civilian rentals) to shoulder some of that burden.

I'm saying Petawawa has an incredibly high cost of living for junior members that matches Edmonton but with the added burden of no city amenities. By all rights Edmonton should have had PLD reductions years ago after the crash if we were properly adjusting PLD rates annually. I'd argue the housing issues in Petawawa get close to what Cold Lake was experiencing during the oil boom, except there's at least some PMQs here (but almost no civilian rentals) to shoulder some of that burden.
Ah... So, things sucked in Pet, screw Edmonton. No wonder the CAF is beating potential recruits away with a stick...

The troops collecting PLD aren't responsible for the CAF's inability to manage PLD, but they will be the ones to suffer.

Ah... So, things sucked in Pet, screw Edmonton. No wonder the CAF is beating potential recruits away with a stick...

The troops collecting PLD aren't responsible for the CAF's inability to manage PLD, but they will be the ones to suffer.
I am legitimately curious as to how you’d tackle this issue with the constraints that were placed upon people in charge of this project? Not saying it is perfect but any solution is a lose-lose.

I am legitimately curious as to how you’d tackle this issue with the constraints that were placed upon people in charge of this project? Not saying it is perfect but any solution is a lose-lose.
I'm not suggesting I could come up with something better, but I'm damn sure I could get the message out in a better way. The CAF, and some members here have been pretty tone deaf to the reality facing hundreds/thousands of CAF members.

Having a BGen brush away CAF members concerns in a media release is dumb. For a BGen making $182K a year, a couple hundred dollars a month isn't a big deal, for a Cpl making ~$70K with a couple of kids, it might be the difference between car maintenance, and the kids getting to participate in afterschool activities.

Generally in a vertical hierarchy (i.e. any other employer) you get paid more the higher your rank in the organization.

You generally achieve higher rank and status by investing time and energy in to the organization.

When I left the CAF, I was on an apprentice wage in my new career until I was certified. As soon as I was certified, my pay tripled overnight.

It's called putting in your time and earning your keep.

The CAF literally took money out of the pockets of skilled workers and redistributed it to unskilled workers. Workers that are also unproven, it's asinine 🤣

Generally in a vertical hierarchy (i.e. any other employer) you get paid more the higher your rank in the organization.

You generally achieve higher rank and status by investing time and energy in to the organization.

When I left the CAF, I was on an apprentice wage in my new career until I was certified. As soon as I was certified, my pay tripled overnight.

It's called putting in your time and earning your keep.

The CAF literally took money out of the pockets of skilled workers and redistributed it to unskilled workers. Workers that are also unproven, it's asinine 🤣

They call this ‘equitable treatment’. The fact that the people they’re screwing over were once poor pte‘s themselves means nothing.

From Reddit:

‘Once this comes in, I’m going to probably be making the same as I am now with losing pld. The true pay raise will be from the civvy union raise, which will probably be a fail too.’

There are still a shocking number of people who think that this raise is just the ‘pre-raise’ for the real one coming after the unions finish negotiating. Sharp messaging there, shipmates…

Back