• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How often do ACSO or Pilot deploy and how long? Is everyone in the military required to do a tour?

Reaction score
I applied to both these positions and I was just wondering how long these roles spend time away from home, and how often are they deployed? Just want to give my partner an idea on how much time we will be apart in the future (besides training).

I also heard about "tours", from my understanding these are at minimum 6 months long deployments. Will I eventually be required to do a tour?
Not that I don't want to deploy but I just want to know what to expect.

What happens if I also pass AEC test at the aircrew selection test, will that be a position be offered to me as well?

Short answer: every career in the military is different.

That's particularly true in Air Ops trades, as the platform you operate will determine how things go. ACSO on a helicopter vs fixed wing is a huge difference; pilot of fighters vs pilot of transport fixed wing vs pilot of Chinooks will all also be radically different.

I applied to both these positions and I was just wondering how long these roles spend time away from home, and how often are they deployed? Just want to give my partner an idea on how much time we will be apart in the future (besides training).
As @dapaterson says, it wildly depends. But I would tell your partner not to expect you around most of the year, unless you're on Search and Rescue (SAR) who don't deploy as much or as long - their mission is to respond to domestic search and rescue tasks.

I also heard about "tours", from my understanding these are at minimum 6 months long deployments. Will I eventually be required to do a tour?
Not that I don't want to deploy but I just want to know what to expect.
If not SAR, then yes you'll probably go on a tour either on the aircraft, or as ground support staff for the aircraft. Tax-free money (and extra money) is pretty good.

What happens if I also pass AEC test at the aircrew selection test, will that be a position be offered to me as well?
Depends if they're hiring. They're usually hiring.

Deployments, tours are not always 6 months long. Aurora crews deploy sometimes as little as a week or as long as a slightly over 3 months in crew flying positions (that’s over the last decade or so).

There are times when you could deploy for longer, as part of a HQ, Task Force or even a coalition Combined Air Ops Center.

Good luck!

Some Maritime Helicopter aircrew are routinely averaging more than 220 days/year away from home base. On the other hand, some are not away from home at all.

It is so wildly variable that there really is no good answer to the OPs question.

Back