• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 CAF Recruiting Ad

Wow. We are right back to past problems and that is really stupid. The CAF is the master of making the same mistakes, over and over again.
It's not a mistake, it's tradition!

But yes.

At least with the remote work/hybrid work that reduced in very real terms people's commuting costs which really helped. Not feasible for everyone or all the time, but coming in a day or two a week vice 5 does help save money so that's been helpful.

It's not a mistake, it's tradition!

But yes.

At least with the remote work/hybrid work that reduced in very real terms people's commuting costs which really helped. Not feasible for everyone or all the time, but coming in a day or two a week vice 5 does help save money so that's been helpful.
Agreed

I think this is key; affordability is the issue, not necessarily base pay.

If you are going to move around frequently with a job, even as a very juniour person, being able to afford where you are posted is critical.

WIth @Furniture example above, it's particularly brutal for junior folks in the NCR where there is zero PLD, but we're at comparable rental rates to Toronto etc where you would be getting an extra 1k+ a month to offset the costs. My legacy mortgage and property tax from a decade ago on a bungalow would only cover a 1 bdr apartment, which is nuts.

There is a very small quantity of PMQs, at a location that basically requires a car to get to work, and outside of that people are living on the economy. Even the PMQs are relatively expensive, but still cheaper compared to the market.
Perhaps removing whatever policies inform the "CAF (and CANEX) shouldn't or can't undercut business" would be a low-cost start. The CAF shouldn't be serving as an economic stimulus tool through its members' domestic purchases.

Perhaps removing whatever policies inform the "CAF (and CANEX) shouldn't or can't undercut business" would be a low-cost start. The CAF shouldn't be serving as an economic stimulus tool through its members' domestic purchases.
Are you saying buying at Canex is cheaper then the local box retailers?
Are you hinting that CFHA is renting housing cheaper then the local market.
Neither of those two was my expierance when I was in.
My fuel cost was covered driving from cold lake to edmonton for example buying a TV.
The pmq I rented was not worth market value. Insulation was poor, unfinished basement, furnace was crap etc. At the time I could not afford to rent locally if I wanted to have a life. Pmq it was. Single shacks were awesome also, ice on the walls at night, lots of condensation during the day.

If all the CAF can offer is money, the CAF will fail.

If the CAF can't offer enough money, the CAF will fail.
One of the problems the CAF has with it's offer of more than just money, is it's not sold/explained well. We push the 25 year pension for life, but don't seem to push the return of contributions system that allows people to put away money for retirement even if not staying for the full 25. Based on my pay I'm essentially putting away $1800 a month without even seeing it happen, I suspect a lot of people at my pay level on the civilian side aren't putting away that much.

That would be ss 6(1)(a) of the Income Tax Act.

One of the problems the CAF has with it's offer of more than just money, is it's not sold/explained well. We push the 25 year pension for life, but don't seem to push the return of contributions system that allows people to put away money for retirement even if not staying for the full 25. Based on my pay I'm essentially putting away $1800 a month without even seeing it happen, I suspect a lot of people at my pay level on the civilian side aren't putting away that much.

Based on the last OSFI report, for every dollar a member puts into the Reg F pension account, the GoC contribution is about $1.50.

CANEX is an abject failure. It should be closed out entirely.

The new RCAF ballcaps which are intended to replace the berets are through the canex. Surprise, surprise, they are delayed into Sept due to manufacturing issues. Will be ready for toque weather at least. My intention is to just copy whatever logo and colour they decide on and get a proper fitting hat from lids.

Based on the last OSFI report, for every dollar a member puts into the Reg F pension account, the GoC contribution is about $1.50.
So about $2200/month, an even better deal.

Edit: I'm having a bad math day :ROFLMAO:

Are you saying buying at Canex is cheaper then the local box retailers?
Are you hinting that CFHA is renting housing cheaper then the local market.
Precisely the opposite, and that it needs to be changed.
That would be ss 6(1)(a) of the Income Tax Act.
Excellent. Add a one-line exemption for CAF and any other federal civil or uniformed service members with a similar housing and posting profile. I'm sure there's some dreary admin bill it could be buried in, and if anyone whines, point to S3 Bloggins, couch-surfer.

Does access to CANEX qualify as a benefit, or is their pricing a separate problem?

The new RCAF ballcaps which are intended to replace the berets are through the canex. Surprise, surprise, they are delayed into Sept due to manufacturing issues. Will be ready for toque weather at least. My intention is to just copy whatever logo and colour they decide on and get a proper fitting hat from lids.
When did you get the info that it was delayed until Sept? Last thing RCAF CWO said was summer.

And it’s not intended to replace the beret. It can, but it isn’t “thou shalt wear a ball cap instead of a beret”.

I think the main issue we have IRT the Income Tax Act and the CFMWS/CFHA debacle is its applied in the context that a serving member is just another Canadian taxpayer in CADPAT. It glosses over the fact that we are often placed at a disadvantage most Canadians never face: forced relocation as part of the terms and conditions of service.

Yes I know people move to where the work is. I know we aren't the only industry facing remote conditions. That said, it would have to have one hell of a compensation and benefits package to get me to move to a place like Cold Lake or Shilo to make we want to apply for a position there; in the CAF, it's Posting Message roulette. I wouldn't spend 3k a month in rent in Ottawa, I would find work in a more affordable market.... the CAF? Posting Message roulette.

Does that entitle us to benefits your average Canadian won't ever see? I would hope so, but TBS says otherwise. I can take the Best Buy flyer into CANEX and get that TV price matched, but the cost of milk, bread, or butter are more expensive than the gas station down the street.

Market rate in a place like Kingston (which has the lowest rental vacancy rate in Canada) is 1700k a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. "Sorry you were paying 900 on your Q in Gagetown, MCpl Bloggins, but there are 85 people in front of you for a Q. Also it's 2100 a month for that same 3 bedroom you had in Gagetown that was made at the same time and has had the same amount of renovations done to it. Have you thought of abandoning your family?"

I have no idea how TBS and CRA can put the "taxable benefits" lense on CAF members with a clear conscience.

I have no idea how TBS and CRA can put the "taxable benefits" lense on CAF members with a clear conscience.
"Just following the policy"... Bureaucrats are heartless because they are several steps removed from the impacts of their decisions, and they are protected by policy.

"Just following the policy"... Bureaucrats are heartless because they are several steps removed from the impacts of their decisions., and they are protected by policy.
angry monty python GIF

Offering a 70% pension after 30 years of Regular Force service might be an incentive for some to consider staying in for the whole ride.

Or, maybe not.

Offering a 70% pension after 30 years of Regular Force service might be an incentive for some to consider staying in for the whole ride.

Or, maybe not.
In the mid-00' the CAF went the opposite route, moving from a 20 year 40% pension to a 25 year 50% pension. They thought it would encourage people to stay longer than 25 years, instead it seems to encourage people to bail before the 12 year mark.

In the mid-00' the CAF went the opposite route, moving from a 20 year 40% pension to a 25 year 50% pension. They thought it would encourage people to stay longer than 25 years, instead it seems to encourage people to bail before the 12 year mark.
There's no evidence of that, based on attrition by years of service, across the CAF population.

The other confounding factor is that with a two year vesting period, instead of the prior ten, individuals releasing before reaching the immediate annuity point may be able to leave with a transfer value instead of a return of contributions, which may incentivize releases before 10 YoS where previously people might have stayed to 10.

When did you get the info that it was delayed until Sept? Last thing RCAF CWO said was summer.

And it’s not intended to replace the beret. It can, but it isn’t “thou shalt wear a ball cap instead of a beret”.
If it's anything like the navy, once they start issuing them (not Canex bought) they can tell you to wear them instead of your beret.

Back