• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 CAF Recruiting Ad

Well done and should work well to the targeted demographics (I'm just talking out of my ass, I have no idea how anything will be accepted by anybody).

My one critique? The "JOBS" below the CAF Cornflake is somehow off-putting to me. But then I look at what I wrote above and realize that my opinion doesn't mean much.

That was surprisingly well done.....

The CAF gave her the confidence to go mountain biking, to go boating, to help kids, etc. Great.

Just one thing…can she fight like hell?

The CAF gave her the confidence to go mountain biking, to go boating, to help kids, etc. Great.

Just one thing…can she fight like hell?
This may come as a surprise to some, but the primary purpose of most occupations isn't fighting...

I don't want Met Techs who join to kick ass and take names, they get bored and quit or drag their section's morale down. I want Met Techs who are interested in becoming proficient forecasters and briefers, that provide value added information to decision makers.

My understanding is that recruiting the combat trades isn't an issue right now, so we need to attract the people not looking to kick in doors and shoot people in the face.

This may come as a surprise to some, but the primary purpose of most occupations isn't fighting...

I don't want Met Techs who join to kick ass and take names, they get bored and quit or drag their section's morale down. I want Met Techs who are interested in becoming proficient forecasters and briefers, that provide value added information to decision makers.

My understanding is that recruiting the combat trades isn't an issue right now, so we need to attract the people not looking to kick in doors and shoot people in the face.
Excellent points, we likely probably already get the folks that want to join for the "cool fighting shizznate" anyway so why design an ad towards them.

Based on your comments, I decided to take a look at the "in demand" and "signing bonus" filters at the Recruiting website.

Out of the 101 trades in the CAF, the only "in demand" ones, or ones with signing bonuses (not all have both), who would be on the trigger end of a weapon are NES Ops and AES Ops. The rest are techs and support trades.

Well done and should work well to the targeted demographics (I'm just talking out of my ass, I have no idea how anything will be accepted by anybody).

My one critique? The "JOBS" below the CAF Cornflake is somehow off-putting to me. But then I look at what I wrote above and realize that my opinion doesn't mean much.
I'm with you. I don't understand the voodoo art of advertising, no matter how many Terry O'Reilly shows I listen to on CBC.

Maybe the "jobs" angle is trying to speak to the demographic they are hunting. Many have said on here that getting folks in for 5 or ten years as opposed to "career" people has advantages. Besides, using the word 'career' might be off-putting to the target audience since they are still 'finding themselves'.

The "JOBS" below the CAF Cornflake is somehow off-putting to me.

They could call it a career.

I believe a career is a profession, as in "profession of arms", chosen as one's life's work.

Full-time. Not part-time: "It's a career, not a hobby!"

Someone's first and last employer.

At least, that's my understanding.

Not sure the CAF would agree.

To employ a Meteorologist one has to understand it is a niche market. around 10,000 people employed in the profession in Canada. Those are not big numbers considering the importance of the job. The Military is on the low end of the pay scale for this occupation.
Why not bid the job off as do 5-10 years Combat Arms and we move you to a Trade occupation. (one of the issues here is usually the person is worn out at that point and done with field work and most jobs require field work). You might get another 5-10 years before they jump ship to a private company or other Gov service.
Honestly the Military needs to go where the work force is to recruit. That means the malls, schools, training facilities, work job fairs. Hit them up all the time every time.

Reactions: ueo
To employ a Meteorologist one has to understand it is a niche market. around 10,000 people employed in the profession in Canada. Those are not big numbers considering the importance of the job. The Military is on the low end of the pay scale for this occupation.
Why not bid the job off as do 5-10 years Combat Arms and we move you to a Trade occupation. (one of the issues here is usually the person is worn out at that point and done with field work and most jobs require field work). You might get another 5-10 years before they jump ship to a private company or other Gov service.
Honestly the Military needs to go where the work force is to recruit. That means the malls, schools, training facilities, work job fairs. Hit them up all the time every time.
DND employs meteorologists(Aviation Defence Services) through a MOU with ECCC, Met Techs(CAF members) are forecasters, but not meteorologists(no degree). Met Tech had at one time been a primarily OT trade, but when Afghanistan kicked off we discovered that too many of our OTs were on MELs that prevented them from deploying with the artillery. The Geographic category for the trade changed recently, so we might see more OTs coming in.

My real point was more that there are lots of occupations where the ability use your firearm for self defence is the about extent of fighting they will ever need to learn. eg. "Cpl Bloggins, your stand-to position is this trench, these are your arcs of fire" vs. "Cpl Bloggins, I know you're a MMT, but we need to clear the enemy trenches across that field, you are leading the assault."

I agree that we need to be more visible and active in recruiting. I think some schools have taken issue with the military recruiting at school though.

Yet Lots of Infantry get degrees, leave and work for technical jobs.
We thankfully don't set policy based on the anecdotes of "lots of" people having higher aptitudes than the bare minimum.

We saw it happen with the ACISS debacle, where we had folks scrape in on the bottom level for one sub occ, then get put over into a more technical one. Lots of calls to CMP to get folks COTed or VOTed out of the trade because "while CFAT standard was met, PRB Numero Tres recommends COT."

I get that not everyone heading into the Combat Arms is unintelligent, but I also know that the folks we are targeting to fill technical roles don't necessarily have "shoot a bad guy in the face" as their motivation to join the CAF. We are the beggars in this situation, we need to lean into that aspect of recruiting.

Back