• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

Can provincial premiers grant pardons for people like American governors can?
My guess is no, if it is a federal law. Unless it is a provincial violation.

Just a guess. Happy to be corrected.

Looks like a backtrack. I’m sure some supporters won’t be too happy.
It seems she (or her handlers) still don't get how the system works:

“But I ask them [Crown prosecutors] on a regular basis, as new cases come out, is it in the public interest to pursue and is there a reasonable likelihood of conviction?”

And supporters, apparently equally unaware of the system, are angry that they haven't received the amnesties that she promised.

Can provincial premiers grant pardons for people like American governors can? Or did Smith realize that she was talking out of her ass again.
Heck, even the PM can't grant pardons. The Governor General can as part of the reserved powers of the Crown. And. Good. Luck. With. That.
I guess the US President can because he is also the Head of State, and governors are heads of sovereign states within the Union.

But I believe one can apply for a Criminal Code pardon? But that gets vetted and eventually sent to the Minister on a case-by-case basis, correct? And I don’t think there is a process to apply for a pardon of a provincial statute. I believe once you’re convicted and paid your fine, that’s it.

I am happy to be corrected on this. But it sounds like Smith’s lack of discernment has struck again.

“But I ask them [Crown prosecutors] on a regular basis, as new cases come out, is it in the public interest to pursue and is there a reasonable likelihood of conviction?”
If this is true, that is very problematic.

But I believe one can apply for a Criminal Code pardon? But that gets vetted and eventually sent to the Minister on a case-by-case basis, correct? And I don’t think there is a process to apply for a pardon of a provincial statute. I believe once you’re convicted and paid your fine, that’s it.

No, it's the Parole Board of Canada that decides on pardons record suspensions.

Parole Board of Canada
Jurisdiction of the Board

2.1 (1) The Board has exclusive jurisdiction and absolute discretion to order, refuse to order or revoke a record suspension.

However, ss. 748 and 749 of the Criminal Code does provide for pardons and remissions to be granted by His Majesty or the Governor in Council.

No clue. Just seems that all the tough talk went away.
I'm just getting the popcorn ready for the folks saying that Smith is a leftist Liberal.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

"Recalcitrant Alberta not making this deal with the fed."

"Alberta demonstrates weakness for taking this deal with the fed."

The reigning party is going to be looking pretty good tomorrow, thanks to oil prices ;)

Alberta’s 2023 budget expected to be overflowing with surplus of petrodollars​

By Dean Bennett The Canadian Press
Posted February 26, 2023 10:28 am

Alberta is scheduled to introduce its budget Tuesday — the last before a spring provincial election — with political observers wondering what the province will do with all its billions of extra petrodollars.
70c8fc80

“Any budget that’s leading into an election is always one that contains quite a few goodies,” said University of Calgary economist Trevor Tombe.
“Combine that with a government with significantly higher resource royalties than planned, and you have a lot of scope for big announcements.”
Finance Minister Travis Toews, in his four years in the post, has tabled budgets that began with multibillion-dollar deficits and recently spotlighted multibillion-dollar surpluses due to rebounding oil and gas revenues.

The province said in its mid-year forecast that it’s expected to finish the current fiscal year, which concludes at the end of March, with a $12.3-billion surplus on the strength of high oil prices and oilsands operations reaching the higher post-payout stage of production.

The reigning party is going to be looking pretty good tomorrow, thanks to oil prices ;)

Alberta’s 2023 budget expected to be overflowing with surplus of petrodollars​

By Dean Bennett The Canadian Press
Posted February 26, 2023 10:28 am

Alberta is scheduled to introduce its budget Tuesday — the last before a spring provincial election — with political observers wondering what the province will do with all its billions of extra petrodollars.
70c8fc80

“Any budget that’s leading into an election is always one that contains quite a few goodies,” said University of Calgary economist Trevor Tombe.
“Combine that with a government with significantly higher resource royalties than planned, and you have a lot of scope for big announcements.”
Finance Minister Travis Toews, in his four years in the post, has tabled budgets that began with multibillion-dollar deficits and recently spotlighted multibillion-dollar surpluses due to rebounding oil and gas revenues.

The province said in its mid-year forecast that it’s expected to finish the current fiscal year, which concludes at the end of March, with a $12.3-billion surplus on the strength of high oil prices and oilsands operations reaching the higher post-payout stage of production.

If they’re smart, in addition to laying down debt, they’ll get back to pumping significant surplus revenues into the province’s sovereign wealth fund as a hedge against eventual decline in the oil sector. Alberta had missed this opportunity several times in the past, but they don’t need to keep doing so.

If they’re smart, in addition to laying down debt, they’ll get back to pumping significant surplus revenues into the province’s sovereign wealth fund as a hedge against eventual decline in the oil sector. Alberta had missed this opportunity several times in the past, but they don’t need to keep doing so.

Smart like the last umpteen times they blew it up their noses? ;)

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF by The Lonely Island

Those Quebec leeches are trying to figure out how to suck as much money out of that surplus as they can. My guess will be roxham road issues.

Those Quebec leeches are trying to figure out how to suck as much money out of that surplus as they can. My guess will be roxham road issues.

Explain to me how any other province (or the federal gov't for that matter) could conceivably lay claim to a surplus in the Alberta "provincial" coffers?

Explain to me how any other province (or the federal gov't for that matter) could conceivably lay claim to a surplus in the Alberta "provincial" coffers?
In the Feds case, they probably don't have to take it. They can just reduce the transfer payments by the amount they want from Alberta. Just a guess.

Back