• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Canadians had exist only on in season vegetables and fruits and supplement with canned and frozen.
Would be a wake up call. Truth is (my opinion based on experimenting with 6 months on pure carnivore (lion level) dieting) is Canadians need to consume MUCH more ruminants (beef, lamb, goat, venison, bison, etc), way more eggs, I would reccomend keeping pork, chicken and turkey the same or a slight increase. Definately increase dairy (if you can tolerate it), duck and goose.

My observations are based on the most efficient foods to grow, beyond sustainable and much better for human health (decrease health care burdens).

YES animal proteins and fats are very optimal for human health.

The majority of the food (which I barely call food) in our groceries stores is from Canada. Your looking at fresh produce (we have a terrible produce growing season it is very short)
Now you look at Cereal grains (wheat, barley, oats, rye, triticale), Corn, Legumes (peas, soy), pulses (canola, sunflower, safflower) and potatoes. Basically the "cash crop" products. They make up ingredients in alot of your packaged food (most of this stuff is piss poor quality). Now look at how many isles in a grocery in the grocery store are dedcated to these products.

Now, we may have a short veggie and fruit growing season, but we produce dairy, meats, eggs and fish YEAR ROUND. And excellent quality.

The truth is, we need more businesses Like Chapman's Ice Cream in Markdale. The owners had an opportunity to move their operations into the "big city" for cheaper distribution and more profit. They refused. They wanted to keep the company in its Grey county roots and keep the money up here in our area and provide many full time job opportunities. WHich is desperately needed in rural Ontario/Canada.

Any city dwelling folks complaining about a few bucks coming to the poverty stricken rural countryside, wake up. Go ahead and try to feed yourselves within the boundaries of your cities. Good luck.
Not to mention going toe to toe with the provincial Liberals over a school closure- and trying to buy said school to keep it open

Sorry, you got to get me up to speed on this. Who did what now?
Chapmans, truly great people for the community.

Yes, thanks for the refresher on my grey matter. Rural Canada succeeds when we promote FULL economic and social structures within their communities.

Yes, thanks for the refresher on my grey matter. Rural Canada succeeds when we promote FULL economic and social structures within their communities.
This was one of my arguments for the WFH model for a lot of government but also other sectors. People could actually Work remotely from those locations and not have to relocate. I know plenty of folks that would have stayed or would move to ore rural areas if they could.

People, stay in their communities, re-inject their money locally and organisations can expand the available talent pool.

This was one of my arguments for the WFH model for a lot of government but also other sectors. People could actually Work remotely from those locations and not have to relocate. I know plenty of folks that would have stayed or would move to ore rural areas if they could.

People, stay in their communities, re-inject their money locally and organisations can expand the available talent pool.

I am fully onside with you. I think WFH needs to be embraced more.

The question asked, by another member, was simply this,

But in your separation of major population centres from the "good folk living on the land" (apologies for the sarcasm) will the rural (smaller centres) population still want the city folk to kick in the share of provincial revenue that was previously to their benefit?

I don't have the answer. Perhaps some here do.

The truth is, we need more businesses Like Chapman's Ice Cream in Markdale. The owners had an opportunity to move their operations into the "big city" for cheaper distribution and more profit. They refused. They wanted to keep the company in its Grey county roots and keep the money up here in our area and provide many full time job opportunities. WHich is desperately needed in rural Ontario/Canada.
There is only one kind of ice cream or treats I will buy besides Chapman's....Kawartha's when Chapman's isn't available.

And of course a stop for a cone at Reids Dairy in Belleville when passing by.

I take loyalty to a region seriously.
Nestle, just like Hershey, can kiss my arse....

Would be a wake up call. Truth is (my opinion based on experimenting with 6 months on pure carnivore (lion level) dieting) is Canadians need to consume MUCH more ruminants (beef, lamb, goat, venison, bison, etc), way more eggs, I would reccomend keeping pork, chicken and turkey the same or a slight increase. Definately increase dairy (if you can tolerate it), duck and goose.

My observations are based on the most efficient foods to grow, beyond sustainable and much better for human health (decrease health care burdens).

YES animal proteins and fats are very optimal for human health.
Even with massive amounts of canning things at home, and cold storage for things like potatoes, apples and beans it can get old pretty quick. I think the availability of fresh goods year round has really spoiled most people from that respect and really don't appreciate the alternative in countries with cold climates where you just can't grow things year round normally.

Looking at a small greenhouse rated for snow loads, but in practical terms that's really more for my own sanity, and unless I add heaters will likely be more to extend the spring/fall season than get any real yield in the winter. But as far as sunrooms go will be fun.

I would like to agree, but the raw economics of the population disparity came with the unfortunate externality of a generation's worth of gentrification happening in the space of two years, forcing rural towns into the same pool of real estate shit as urban areas.

Even with massive amounts of canning things at home, and cold storage for things like potatoes, apples and beans it can get old pretty quick. I think the availability of fresh goods year round has really spoiled most people from that respect and really don't appreciate the alternative in countries with cold climates where you just can't grow things year round normally.

Looking at a small greenhouse rated for snow loads, but in practical terms that's really more for my own sanity, and unless I add heaters will likely be more to extend the spring/fall season than get any real yield in the winter. But as far as sunrooms go will be fun.

Our current diet is really a reflection of our opulence and affluence. It wont take long for the vegetarian to be asking for a piece of my venison.

I would like to agree, but the raw economics of the population disparity came with the unfortunate externality of a generation's worth of gentrification happening in the space of two years, forcing rural towns into the same pool of real estate shit as urban areas.
I’m not so sure. Communities just outside certain urban centers sure, but my comment is more aimed at those areas that are far more rural.

Take Ottawa. Embrun, Carleton Place, Arnprior etc are all growing and by a lot. But those have always been bedroom communities of the NCR.

But how about communities that are further out or economically depressed? Cornwall is an hour away but could use the injection of gainfully employed people. Or the rural areas around Cornwall? Or someone in North Bay? Or Iroquois falls?

Plenty of examples where that urban real estate shit is not a problem but are bleeding people and money.

Most families want to live in detached homes, if they can. This is difficult to achieve in highly urbanized centres (high demand, thus cost). Also, dense urban concentrations are fragile with respect to public welfare and order emergencies. As a matter of public safety we should want to have fewer extremely large population centres and more small-to-modest population centres. As a matter of effecting substantial downward re-adjustments to housing costs we should want to do so.

The kicker is that the traditional municipal services (roads, water, sewer) are becoming more costly to provide and to maintain. Lower densities, in the absence of huge commercial taxable properties, require higher property tax rates. Obviously an $800,000 home versus a $1,200,000 home can pay for a lot of years of property taxes, though. And there are other benefits from living in a community in which nothing is more than a 30 to 45 minute drive away.

in which nothing one is more than a 30 to 45 minute drive away.
Pardon my sentimentalism, but I believe that correction is what makes it so important. Easier to build a community and interact with close ones.

Last edited:
I’m not so sure. Communities just outside certain urban centers sure, but my comment is more aimed at those areas that are far more rural.

Take Ottawa. Embrun, Carleton Place, Arnprior etc are all growing and by a lot. But those have always been bedroom communities of the NCR.

But how about communities that are further out or economically depressed? Cornwall is an hour away but could use the injection of gainfully employed people. Or the rural areas around Cornwall? Or someone in North Bay? Or Iroquois falls?

Plenty of examples where that urban real estate shit is not a problem but are bleeding people and money.
I think that's a conflation or rural and remote.

I'm with Rick in Grey County, and view from the that lens of Grey/Bruce/Huron/Northern Wellington. Definitely rural, but in no way remote. Mostly agriculture with some manufacturing pockets. Some commuters, but not purpose built bedroom communities until very recently. A lot of towns at the limit of their services, new builds mainly being infill, redevelopments, and severances. In the short run, the geographic untethering of urban money from urban living hasn't had the chance to drive growth, but it has created a supply/demand imbalance in what represents "lifestyle properties" to urban transfers (hobby farms, small acreages, big intown and rural residential lots). This imbalance bids out locals and forces them to set their sights lower, cascadingright down to the erasure of the budget starter home (which as recently as 2016 could be found sub 150k) and the doubling of local rents.

Long term it will likely be "good" for the towns. They will grow, they will thrive. In the short term it was great for those with equity built and no ties to the area/ were looking to downsize. It's been a kick in the teeth for those on the outside of the game trying to get in, or just survive.

Haven’t you heard? Only slack and idle civil servants want to work from home. Back to office!

/s

Regarding that "gravy train" running one-way from Queen's Park to City Hall.

Another member, in another thread, explained it this way,

Main Conclusions

Greater Toronto Area (GTA) taxpayers pay out almost $24 billion more in taxes than they receive in government spending—a net tax burden equal to 11 percent of the GTA economy

• Most of this burden falls on the suburbs around Toronto, where the average household pays the equivalent of more than $17,000 in extra taxes

• Halton Region and York Region households—urban areas just west and north of Toronto—pay the most: up to $26,000 more in tax than in government services received. By comparison, Toronto households pay almost $9,500 in extra taxes.

• A minority of 9 Ontario counties are subsidizing the other 40. Twenty-one counties pay less tax than they receive in government services, with most found in the eastern and northern regions. Five counties effectively have most or all of their personal income taxes refunded in the form of an equivalent dollar value of services.

• The average Ontario household bears a net tax burden of over $4,500 to pay for transfers to other provinces through federal government taxation and spending programs

• The degree of regional net tax burden and its associated subsidy outflow rises with income—richer communities are generally subsidizing poorer communities

• Subsidy outflows also rise with population density, contrary to anti-development advocates’ beliefs, showing that suburbia is paying more than its proportional share of government costs
I'm never quite sure how to read these think tank reports or understand their conclusions. They never quite explain the basis for their data (maybe this one does; tl:dr). I get personal federal income tax, but how do they calculate federal money received back. It makes sense that a dense population area is going to be a huge financial contributor but, recently, the GTA - Toronto in particular - has had billions in federal and provincial money spent and committed to transit; likely much more that Cobourg or Sudbury on a per capita basis. Financial transactions both between and within governments is a much accounting as it is voodoo.

I realize the Fraser article only deals in personal income and expenditures, but many commentators argue about the wealth created by cities. A lot of that wealth is simply reported rather created. Resource companies that are headquartered in cities are actually reporting on wealth created in the hinterland. And, of course, banks create wealth by moving money around amongst themselves.

Back