• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shawn Ryan Show and CANSOF

I can't even believe the differences between the CAF today and the CAF then.

We were getting told in training we were being prepared to go "#### up some Hajis" and we all believed it to, especially after 9/11.

Saying that today would get you shitcanned 🤣

I thought this was super stupid when the CoC had an aneurysm over it:

🤦‍♂️

Okay so I'm not being (entirely) facetious, I'm pretty sure I understand the gyst of what 'micro-aggressions' are...

But wtf is a micro-aggression?

I remember attending a Leafs CAF night with ill and injured members and a retired Hillier walking in and asking me if I wanted to go to his breakfast speech the next morning with the Canucks. While sitting there with the players that morning Hillier began to show footage of Taliban fighters being killed by various means, you should have seen the players faces. I do not think they were prepared nor expecting these types of videos. I was like WTF and shaking my head.

I remember attending a Leafs CAF night with ill and injured members and a retired Hillier walking in and asking me if I wanted to go to his breakfast speech the next morning with the Canucks. While sitting there with the players that morning Hillier began to show footage of Taliban fighters being killed by various means, you should have seen the players faces. I do not think they were prepared nor expecting these types of videos. I was like WTF and shaking my head.

Holy frack...

Apart from being quite tasteless, a real ethical moment of truth if nothing else, I'm wondering at the legality of showing such visuals?

I know that you not allowed to film or photograph POWs . There are of course some exceptions.
However this is something I never even thought of.....
I am at a loss for worse on this ..

Holy frack...

Apart from being quite tasteless, a real ethical moment of truth if nothing else, I'm wondering at the legality of showing such visuals?
All sorts of videos exist.
Modern Digital FCS, Designators, Spotting systems etc all have recording features.

Unless there are security implications that could lead to certain technologies or TTP being compromised, there isn’t any legal issue to worry about.

I see zero wrong with showing dead bodies. The press shows them all the time, especially if they support an agenda.

Just don't pose with them or take any souvenirs. Well, maybe some DNA if required.

Just broadly thinking about this, but perhaps it was shown to the audience it was for the 'shock' factor'?

So the audience would get a real look at what war really looks like?

...Or was it just done in bad taste?

Maybe it was Hillier showing Canadians what military work looks like- not wildland firefighting or sandbagging. But the thing we have a military for- the thing Canadians actually don’t want to admit they do.

It was one of his things, “We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.”

It was one of his things, “We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.”

Or as one news commentator called the military, " A highly trained group of professional killers who work for the government." Or words to the effect.

Maybe it was Hillier showing Canadians what military work looks like- not wildland firefighting or sandbagging. But the thing we have a military for- the thing Canadians actually don’t want to admit they do.

All in the "how", I guess.

Holy frack...

I was shown all sorts of kill footage at the Infantry School during my training.

Some of it was used as a teaching point for things like "the importance of effective cover"

Pretty sure this was standard practice back then. Everyone remembers the infamous Apache Kill Footage from Iraq:

We all laughed at it then. We were young, impressionable men, filled with testosterone, and wanted to fight these guys.

In order to get the average person to actually kill another human, you need to dehumanize the person being killed. There is crude logic to what Hillier was doing at the time and it's all part of the dehumanizination.

Remember, the Taliban aren't people, they are scumbags and murderers.

Most people aren't inherently violent, aren't sociopathic and need to be manipulated to kill. We are doing the exact same thing right now with Ukraine atm. Russians aren't people, they are Orcs. The Russians are doing the same by calling the Ukrainians Nazis.

It's how we motivate society to support a war.

I was shown all sorts of kill footage at the Infantry School during my training.

Some of it was used as a teaching point for things like "the importance of effective cover"

Pretty sure this was standard practice back then. Everyone remembers the infamous Apache Kill Footage from Iraq:

Infantry soldiers' training? Sure, I get that and approve.

A bunch of NHL hockey players? I don't know the context of the event but it sounds a little too much like a 'dick measuring' contest led by a General with questionable judgement.

If one of my Officers had done that with a local community group, I would have slammed him.

Infantry soldiers' training? Sure, I get that and approve.

A bunch of NHL hockey players? I don't know the context of the event but it sounds a little too much like a 'dick measuring' contest led by a General with questionable judgement.

If one of my Officers had done that with a local community group, I would have slammed him.
No doubt but at the time Uncle Rick was wildly popular with basically everyone. And those antics are what made him popular.

No doubt he would get skewered today, just like Don Cherry.

hockey players and CFL players want to come to certain teams for their team building good times. Maybe they should see that our teams are what they are at a high cost,

Like the sausage? come see how it’s made.

Back