• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

And I bet the Chinese expat community know who every single one of them are. How much you want to bet the RCMP and CSIS have a pretty good idea as well.

Expect the exact same thing that happend in Ukraine when the balloon went up. The gloves come off and a whole bunch of those people are called out and brought in for questioning immediately.
Yea I see this group as more of an intelligence gathering asset that will be useful up until an actual conflict starts, and much less so after. I don't see them as an actual threat to local stability.

And I bet the Chinese expat community know who every single one of them are. How much you want to bet the RCMP and CSIS have a pretty good idea as well.

Expect the exact same thing that happend in Ukraine when the balloon went up. The gloves come off and a whole bunch of those people are called out and brought in for questioning immediately.

I see you're a glass half full kinda guy.

Post 911 Suburban Snatch Teams enter the chat…

The Chinese police stations/social clubs are here to 'encourage' expats to not speak badly about the CCP. They use a mix of nationalist propaganda and threats against family members here and at home in China. How much intelligence do you think you will get from them when they are scared granny will be murdered or tortured?

They know Canada will not hurt them if they stay silent.

Why hasn't China attacked yet? They have the ships and the soldiers. They likely have their teeth into the next Taiwanese president, Tsai Ing-wen cannot run again. The next election is in 2024. I suspect we will see China take over without firing a shot, except at protesters at least.

Or.

Find a spot of clear bulkhead on the outboard sides of the Hangar (similar to the Karel Doorman from the Dutch Navy) and add a row of them:

The Chinese police stations/social clubs are here to 'encourage' expats to not speak badly about the CCP. They use a mix of nationalist propaganda and threats against family members here and at home in China. How much intelligence do you think you will get from them when they are scared granny will be murdered or tortured?

They know Canada will not hurt them if they stay silent.

Why hasn't China attacked yet? They have the ships and the soldiers. They likely have their teeth into the next Taiwanese president, Tsai Ing-wen cannot run again. The next election is in 2024. I suspect we will see China take over without firing a shot, except at protesters at least.
Because attacking Taiwan means they lose trade with the West, the trade that is preventing their entire house of cards from collapsing.

Because attacking Taiwan means they lose trade with the West, the trade that is preventing their entire house of cards from collapsing.
China also doesn't have a history of invading other countries. During an entire 500 year period in the middle 2nd mellenium, they fought something like only 2 wars against another sovereign power. During the same period, England and France alone fought each other like 142 times. It's just not in their culture. They want influence, sure, but I don't think they want conquest. They don't have dreams of empire like the orks.

Plus there is little love lost between the Cantonese speaking first wave Chinese, Hong Kongers vs the Mainlanders
It was not uncommon, some years ago, to find four or more Chinese student associations (clubs) on a university campus:
  • First, divided by language:
    • Cantonese -
      • From the Mainland/Guangdong, or
      • From Hong Kong;
    • Mandarin -
      • From the Mainland,
      • With roots on Taiwan or the diaspora; and
  • Second divided by political ideology:
    • Pro CCP - supporting China's rise, or
    • Pro democracy - supporting HK and Taiwan.

China also doesn't have a history of invading other countries. During an entire 500 year period in the middle 2nd mellenium, they fought something like only 2 wars against another sovereign power. During the same period, England and France alone fought each other like 142 times. It's just not in their culture. They want influence, sure, but I don't think they want conquest. They don't have dreams of empire like the orks.
I would suggest it isn’t that they don’t have dreams of expanding the ‘empire’, but that they are less kinetic about it. Conquest can be accomplished in other ways than a straight military confrontation…

Tibet enters the chat.....

Plus China was created by conquest, is very large in it's own right. They realized that it was at the practical extent that they could hold together and administer. Throw in the Mongrel threat and internal wars that were the size of many of the European wars of the same period.

I see you're a glass half full kinda guy.
Remember the 5th column in WW1 and WW2 from Ukranians, Germans, Japanese and Italians? Oh yah that wasn't a thing. Japanese were interned for basically no reason. I'm gonna go with historical precident and the fact that there are a lot of very loyal and dedicated Canadian's of Chinese origin who would happily take the opportunity to cleanse the community of those DB's. Perhaps there might be some sabatoge or int gathering but you're not going to get what we apparently are fantasizing about here.

Depends on what you define as China. 3000 years of ethnic cleansing to get where they are today.

Tibet enters the chat.....
There are arguments amongst Chinese scholars about the last expansion - by the Qing Dynasty in the 17th and 18th centuries - which included Mongolia, Xinjiang and Tibet. Some scholars argue this was bad because it added too many non-Chines people. But the Qing were Jurchens (from
Manchuria) so they had little sympathy for the xenophobia of the Han people.

And then what? How many years later do we issue a formal apology and provide cash compensation?

Remember the 5th column in WW1 and WW2 from Ukranians, Germans, Japanese and Italians? Oh yah that wasn't a thing. Japanese were interned for basically no reason. I'm gonna go with historical precident and the fact that there are a lot of very loyal and dedicated Canadian's of Chinese origin who would happily take the opportunity to cleanse the community of those DB's. Perhaps there might be some sabatoge or int gathering but you're not going to get what we apparently are fantasizing about here.

You, as well as I, cant predict the future. Lets hope you're righter than me.

And then what? How many years later do we issue a formal apology and provide cash compensation?
All you gotta do is point out you know who and what they are and are being watched. It's the ones you don't know about that are the problem. Not seeing anyone who were Taliban sympathizers out there suing the gov't because they were only spoken to by the RCMP.

So back to CSC stuff:

Wondering if the RCN is pointing out the the decision makers that a CSC would be really good at tracking and shooting down "weather balloons" with a SM3 or 6 option...

All you gotta do is point out you know who and what they are and are being watched. It's the ones you don't know about that are the problem. Not seeing anyone who were Taliban sympathizers out there suing the gov't because they were only spoken to by the RCMP.

So back to CSC stuff:

Wondering if the RCN is pointing out the the decision makers that a CSC would be really good at tracking and shooting down "weather balloons" with a SM3 or 6 option...
At 40000 ft it could be shot down by an ESSM. However, ships don’t float through the Yukon.

At 40000 ft it could be shot down by an ESSM. However, ships don’t float through the Yukon.
No but things have to float across the pacific to get there. Jetstream goes one way. The 60000ft one is a bit high for an ESSM... heck its high for a CF18...

Back