• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Tory, Toronto Mayor to Resign

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
So far today:

The express rail system from downtown Toronto to Pearson airport has had an emergency grounding of 80%+ of its trains due to brake failure.

The Ottawa LRT has had another infrastructure failure in the east end.

The premier grifted thousands of dollars from political supporters in support of his daughter's wedding.

And the mayor of Toronto has resigned following the revelation that the 68 year old man, 45 years married, had an ongoing affair with a now 31 year old subordinate.

...and it's not even 2100 yet, so who knows what else will be coming out...

The premier grifted thousands of dollars from political supporters in support of his daughter's wedding.

And the mayor of Toronto has resigned following the revelation that the 68 year old man, 45 years married, had an ongoing affair with a now 31 year old subordinate.

After what the city went through with his predecessor, seems almost quaint and refreshing seeing a mayor or any politician apologise , and do the right thing.

I served under four chairmen, and two mayors.

The joke used to be there were only two ways to rid of them.

Mel was probably the one I remember best for the way he talked about us. His employees.

We tried to take it away from them because they had us by the balls. We fought like hell but couldn’t get rid of it. You don’t know what we had to go through. Try and fire them, you can’t. It’s jobs for life!

seems almost quaint and refreshing seeing a mayor or any politician apologise , and do the right thing.
Sugarcoating.

Doing the "right thing" is subjective here. He got caught betraying his wife & his family's trust. Very likely created an awkward workplace dynamic. Probably impacted other co-workers, because people know. Did he have much of a choice other than to resign? It's hardly selfless behavior.

If anything the affair gives him an out from the dumpster fire Toronto is becoming.

John Tory breaks the rule of having an indiscretion within a 100 miles of the flag pole and within the place of work and does the correct thing and resigns.

Federal Ministers of the Crown, consistently breach ethical rules and all they say is "that she is taking active steps to make sure the issue doesn't happen again." (Mary Ng)

From Wikipedia
Ng has worked for 20 years in the public service, focusing on the areas of education, women's leadership, job-creation, and entrepreneurship.[6]

Ng worked as a public servant in the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General and Cabinet Office, served as the director of policy to the Ontario education minister Gerard Kennedy.

If the PS is anything like DND, she would have been inundated with briefings and courses and PD days on ethics and breach of trust. Was there nobody on her staff during the latest brouhaha going "Umm Minister, do you not think this contract should not go to your BFF?"

Like this is basic stuff, and these folks routinely break the rules with zero consequences. No wonder the public casts a jaded eye towards Parliament Hill.

Last edited:
TDS. Trudeau - Tory.

Rent-free in some heads. Obsessed with men who don't even know you exist.

Sounds like some know the town better than I do.
Since I retired 14 years ago, I pretty much stick to the neighborhood.
Our local ratepayers association keeps up with property values in our little 'hood. They are pretty high, compared to the rest of Canada.

Same rules always apply… Don’t take your dick out at work.

Rules? One lesson learned during the 2010 - 2014 era. Politicians, unlike employees, can't be fired.

The union put that to the test during a firing arbitration during that four-year era, The union / employee lost.

Worst they can do, and did, is transfer your staff and power to the Deputy Mayor, if a mayor becomes a public disgrace. You stay on the payroll. Nothing to stop you from running for re-election.

The "right thing" would have been not doing it in the first place.

Slightly below that, would have been resigning "for unspecified reasons" at the outset.

"I got caught" is merely less egregious than "I got caught, but I'm staying where I am".

Justin Trudeau Yes GIF by Patriot Act

Or maybe it was "leaked" out now so that it didn't come out while Mr. Ford was unemployed in the future. [should that happen]

I mean, if Ford resigns to run for Mayor, his logical replacement is Caroline Mulroney, who can carry on the family tradition of taking stacks of unmarked bills in manila envelopes... Does she have any kids getting married any time soon?

I mean, if Ford resigns to run for Mayor, his logical replacement is Caroline Mulroney, who can carry on the family tradition of taking stacks of unmarked bills in manila envelopes... Does she have any kids getting married any time soon?

I doubt he’ll have any difficulty harvesting campaign contributions from the developers given his moves of late.

Back