• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pipelines

I had some interesting conversations with Blueberry, during the Site C consultations, apparently I was the "Spawn of Satan". Even the other bands did not think much of their leadership at the time. Mcleod Lake FN were smart, they took part in the lawsuit, but at the same time delegated their Land Manager to consult with us, separate from the lawsuit. When the band switch tracks and signed a resource agreement with BCH, they had already had meaningful consultation with us Feds and gave us good and useful input to mitigate. Blueberry held out for so long, there were only revenue crumbs left over when they signed an agreement with BCH. Another band I liked working with was the Haisla in Kitimat, very switched on leadership. Right now I am working with the Cheslatta, a good bunch even as they struggle with a lack of skill capacity.

Counter argument is that there are some, not many, very well paying jobs for the operators of those gas fields. Unfortunately that's about the only low barrier entry position available long term as support trades (instrumentation techs, electricians etc.) and/or management positions are often engineering graduates. Tough to stay connected to the culture if you're forced to move away, might be employed in another town, and are going to the anomaly in the workforce.

That being said there are lots of good, hard workers in all three communities

That's an argument against credentialism and in favour of on-the-job training. Have some of the locals come into the field tasked with "observe and report" with the ability to replace some components (electronic especially) under supervision.

That's an argument against credentialism and in favour of on-the-job training. Have some of the locals come into the field tasked with "observe and report" with the ability to replace some components (electronic especially) under supervision.
Unfortunately for the oil field operators where 15-20 years ago many would do minor repairs (that they had experience with) pretty much all the heads now are set up so that only operating parameters are adjusted (donkey speed pressurizing, glycol flow) and the parts/fixing side has been turned over to the tradesmen. Some companies go as far as to say only an electrician can touch power issues while only instrumentation can touch the calibration boards...and send out two separate people even if the first guy is dual ticketed. It's nutty but also done for a reason as liability issues are much higher profile these days (hence only trained trades involved) and many companies went to literal interpretation of issues (i.e. sending out two different trades) due to retirement/lack of experience many folks have.

You don't always get to pick who responds to the call so many processes were done for the apprentice call outs due to a lack of full tickets....part of the legacy of the drop in oil prices 6 years ago or so and large layoffs forced many skilled folks out of the industry not to return.

Unfortunately for the oil field operators where 15-20 years ago many would do minor repairs (that they had experience with) pretty much all the heads now are set up so that only operating parameters are adjusted (donkey speed pressurizing, glycol flow) and the parts/fixing side has been turned over to the tradesmen. Some companies go as far as to say only an electrician can touch power issues while only instrumentation can touch the calibration boards...and send out two separate people even if the first guy is dual ticketed. It's nutty but also done for a reason as liability issues are much higher profile these days (hence only trained trades involved) and many companies went to literal interpretation of issues (i.e. sending out two different trades) due to retirement/lack of experience many folks have.

You don't always get to pick who responds to the call so many processes were done for the apprentice call outs due to a lack of full tickets....part of the legacy of the drop in oil prices 6 years ago or so and large layoffs forced many skilled folks out of the industry not to return.

Also all to familiar with the nuttiness associated with liability issues (which strangely enough always seem to be resolved in favour of a solution that benefits the guilds - but I digress). Those issues rise to the surface inside individual production facilities - five people to inspect the impeller of a 5 kW pump - Electrician to disconnect the power. Automation to disconnect the sensors. Mechanic to disconnect and disassemble the pump. QC to conduct the inspection. Prodution supervisor to supervise.

And to think I taught all those people how to do their jobs. And I was taught at age 16 by a Greek immigrant to the tune of various greek curses.

How about "Observe and Report?" With a two day on-line credential from Athabaska?

Can we in good conscience give up the benefits of fossil fuels and rely on the uncertainties of nascent and untested alternative energy sources? Koonin argues that the costs of doing so could be far worse than a slight rise in the average global temperature. In the following excerpt, he explains why his perspective on things has such a hard time penetrating into mainstream narratives about climate change and why the most extreme carbon reduction measures are both unfeasible and inadvisable.

Commonalities in talking points - Climate Change, Reskilling, DEI, Migration etc.

WEF Closing Remarks - 20 January 2023

02:05 350,000,000 jobs - reskilling revolution to combat climate change

Declaration of North America - 10 January 2023

Just Transition

The Ultramontane Position - jobs will not be lost. 350,000,000 will have their lives redirected as they are reskilled. For the greater good.
Sacrifice sovereignty in the name of supranationalism.

WEF Trustee

responsive_medium_i7vgQB6vkIzvNaItKA4AqJHpQmdYn8EtJWCagDHKNLk.png

Chrystia Freeland
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister of Canada

Declaration of North America - 10 January 2023

Interesting how Canada lists Canada first, then Mexico the US in its statement, while the US actually lists Mexico first, then Us, then Canada trailing.

Olof Scholz addressing the WEF -

Brave Ukraine! We're right behind you.

More renewables! More decarbonization.

But in the meantime - approved and constructed 3 LNG terminals in 7 months (they'll come in handy for Hydrogen eventually)
We are subsidizing our industries and homes to the tune of 2% of GDP to keep the factories running.
We will decarbonize to a carbon neutral level ...... by 2045
Lots more windmills .... and electrolysis.

And the other side of the house

Danielle Smith

Olof Scholz addressing the WEF -

Brave Ukraine! We're right behind you.

More renewables! More decarbonization.

But in the meantime - approved and constructed 3 LNG terminals in 7 months (they'll come in handy for Hydrogen eventually)
We are subsidizing our industries and homes to the tune of 2% of GDP to keep the factories running.
We will decarbonize to a carbon neutral level ...... by 2045
Lots more windmills .... and electrolysis.

And the other side of the house

Danielle Smith

1674404548987.jpeg

Just(in) Transition. 🖕🏼

No thanks.

I’d prefer to exercise my free choice (while it still exists) in pre-post-nation state Canada.
I don't understand the push-back against the Just Transition program; you're literally biting the hand that feeds out of pure spite because "nothing the current government wants to do can possibly be good, facts be damned."

Like it or not, the market is changing. Some of that is due to government pressure/policies/programs, and some of it is pure economics.

The Just Transition initiative is nothing more than a program to help re-train, re-educate, and re-employ those who may lose their jobs because the economy has determined that their jobs are no longer marketable.

Even if the lose of your current job could be directly attributed to a specific government action, why would you reject an effort by the government to help you find a new job?

I don't understand the push-back against the Just Transition program; you're literally biting the hand that feeds out of pure spite because "nothing the current government wants to do can possibly be good, facts be damned."

Like it or not, the market is changing. Some of that is due to government pressure/policies/programs, and some of it is pure economics.

The Just Transition initiative is nothing more than a program to help re-train, re-educate, and re-employ those who may lose their jobs because the economy has determined that their jobs are no longer marketable.

Even if the lose of your current job could be directly attributed to a specific government action, why would you reject an effort by the government to help you find a new job?
Because it's all BS. There will be no jobs outside of the service industry and few and far between outside of the urban areas. The Liberals have no real plan to create new high paying jobs. Even if they left everything as is, things are going downhill under their leadership, partly for things outside of their control, but also because of the lack of investment in more traditional industries and no real support for newer industries. Canada should be world leader in SMR's and could be a perfect place to make chips and critical electronic components. Our LNG is likley the most responsibly sourced in the world and helps reduce GHG emissions as it replaces coal burning in most countries power generation. We could increase our rare earth mining, again doing it far more responsibly than China and guarantying a strategic supply to our Allies. Harper for all his mis-steps understood far better what was coming. The groundwork needed to be done almost a decade ago to start benefiting, instead we are in a steady downward trend for productivity and economic output. JT's plan will just speed up the collapse by pushing us off the economic cliff. If you think I am just a CPC shrill, if the current Liberals government was made up of Paul Martin and his team back in his day, then we would not be looking at this stupidity, as he would have pushed us along a similar path that Harper was trying, with some difference, but in the same direction to improve Canada's economic outlook.

👍🏼

SMRs until mass-H2 becomes feasible…and even then, a case exists to use SMRs as zero-carbon energy source.

LNG is one of the cleanest hydrocarbon sources going…why the Government is trying to actively keep it from happening (actions speak louder than words) is mind-boggling.

Rely on government ... because of its remarkable track record for efficiency and agility, delivering just the right thing at just the right time to just where it is needed? A much more effective "system" already exists for allocating people and resources, and doesn't need process-obsessed bureaucrats to slow it down.

Back