• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

Have you checked the price of any new cars lately?

Ya we just bought one last spring for under MSRP.

When you factor in you're not paying for gas, and very little maintenance it equals out, depending on what you buy.

The caveat is you have to drive enough to save the gas money.

I personally don't drive enough which is why I have a $2000 beater 4x4 SUV. Let me know when I can buy a beater EV for that price and I'll happily sit with the other idiots at the charging stations in -30c.

When you factor in you're not paying for gas, and very little maintenance it equals out, depending on what you buy.

The caveat is you have to drive enough to save the gas money.
Yeah, a tesla owner I spoke to said his annual maintenance is a fraction of what it was for his combustible engine vehicle. He was an Uber driver and it seems that a tesla made perfect sense for him.

Let me know when I can buy a beater EV for that price and I'll happily sit with the other idiots at the charging stations in -30c.
If you’re not buying a new car then it’s never going to make sense. Side note, you can run the heat while it’s charging, but I just charge in my garage while I’m sleeping and almost never need to use a charger away from home.

Yeah, a tesla owner I spoke to said his annual maintenance is a fraction of what it was for his combustible engine vehicle. He was an Uber driver and it seems that a tesla made perfect sense for him.
There’s a dude in Toronto with something crazy like 300,000 kms on his model 3 doing Uber.

100% makes sense for an Uber driver.

My understanding is there really isn't maintenance outside of breaks and tires. Maybe some coolant somewhere? I stand to be corrected.

Unless something fails. But I don't feel like that happens often enough to be a major concern.

The added cost might be the installation of home charging station ? It might be advantageous to have those added to the price of the vehicle. Or give an equal value tax break to those households with an income less than 100K let's say.

100% makes sense for an Uber driver.

My understanding is there really isn't maintenance outside of breaks and tires. Maybe some coolant somewhere? I stand to be corrected.

Unless something fails. But I don't feel like that happens often enough to be a major concern.

The added cost might be the installation of home charging station ? It might be advantageous to have those added to the price of the vehicle. Or give an equal value tax break to those households with an income less than 100K let's say.
Pretty much what he said. Brakes, tires etc.

Some dealerships are starting to offer home charging installation as incentives. When I bought my current home in 2018 the builder was offering and pushing EV charge stations as an upgrade.

I paid $450 to get it wired the first time (I just had him wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet), $900 the second time because of labour shortages and because I had them use a larger gauge for expansion. The charger itself I think was around $650. Some of the manufacturers are offering an installation credit or DCFC credit. My leaf I can sometimes drain the battery in a day so the faster charge is useful, for a larger battery it might not be necessary since there’s so much buffer and it spends so much time in the garage.

When I bought my current home in 2018 the builder was offering and pushing EV charge stations as an upgrade.
My builder called it a 50A welder outlet, in my garage. Probably can take a Level 2 charger if I ever decide to have a vehicle with less than a 1300km range and don’t want to tow 7,000lbs.

And that's the hitch.

EVs are perfect for the urban folk don't drive far and don't tow/haul loads. EVs are the perfect grocery getter and hockey bag hauler.
Not true for the last part when factoring in the distances, overnighters, and adverse weather associated to any competitive hockey.

So by this point everyone has discovered that advantages depend on context and no one platform fits all uses?

Moving on...

If people are arguing that we have to take steps to mitigate past shortsight and to internalize former externalities, then obviously the time to consider the externalities that will have to be mitigated for EVs is right now and stop waffling and hand-waving over the real problems with converting a large fraction of the passenger vehicle fleet.

Pretty much what he said. Brakes, tires etc.

Some dealerships are starting to offer home charging installation as incentives. When I bought my current home in 2018 the builder was offering and pushing EV charge stations as an upgrade.
An Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE - the 'charger' is in the vehicle) circuit iwas briefly added to the Ontario Building Code until Ford pulled it. I don't recall what the mandated amperage was.

Chevrolet incentive:

Nice work, Science:

Despite gloomy headlines, our planet is getting cleaner and healthier​

The media sells bad news, but scientific evidence shows that we are making progress toward a greener planet.

Key Takeaways

• Dreary, despondent headlines about pollution and climate change are the norm. But they are not painting a full or accurate picture.
  • While Earth is still no Garden of Eden, many countries are making serious efforts to become clean and green. The results are scientifically notable but underreported by the media.
  • Human ingenuity is the ultimate resource. In a world filled with bad news, that's a fact worth celebrating.
There is no shortage of bad news in media headlines. “Climate change is already killing us,” the World Health Organization (WHO) declared in the run up to the UN’s COP 27 Climate Change Conference. “Low levels of air pollution deadlier than previously thought,” McGill University lamented. “Brazil’s plans to pave an Amazon road could open path to more deforestation,” yet another despondent headline from NPR blared.

Most people undoubtedly accept that climate change, air pollution, and deforestation are very real problems we ought to take seriously. What fewer of us seem to realize, however, is that the world has taken these issues seriously and made significant progress toward solving them as a result. This observation leads us to an important but oft-overlooked conclusion: Economic growth and technological innovation are making our planet a cleaner, safer place to live.

Pollution is plummeting​

“Between 1970 and 2020,” according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “the combined emissions of the six common pollutants (PM2.5 and PM10, SO2, NOx, VOCs, CO, and Pb) dropped by 78 percent.” Similar trends have been observed in other developed nations as well. Between 1970 and 2016, the UK reduced its emissions of all air pollutants except ammonia by 60%. The trend is unmistakable to anyone looking carefully at the evidence. Drs. Hannah Ritchie and Max Roser helpfully summed up the situation for Our World in Data in 2019:

“What becomes clear is that far from being the most polluted in recent history, the air in many rich countries today is cleaner than it has been for decades.”

They rightly cautioned that we have more work to do. Many developing countries have yet to acquire the resources necessary to invest in pollution-reduction measures; they are primarily focused on raising their standard of living by gaining access to abundant food and energy supplies, for example. As their economies develop, they will have both the means and the desire to tackle air pollution. This pattern has been observed in countries all over the world.

More food on less land​

One of the best ways to bring a nation out of grinding poverty is to boost its agricultural productivity. The introduction of high-yielding crop varieties during the Green Revolution, led by plant pathologist Norman Borlaug, nicely illustrated how this phenomenon works. According to a July 2021 study, enhanced crops developed between 1965 and 2010 increased food production by more than 40%, saving the world a whopping $83 trillion. Addressing the environmental impact of agriculture, the authors didn’t mince words:

“Our paper also sheds light on a concern, often expressed in the literature, that agricultural productivity improvements would pull additional land into agriculture at the expense of forests and other environmentally valuable land uses. We find evidence to the contrary… the Green Revolution tended to reduce the amount of land devoted to agriculture.”

If I bought a new F150 EV, and towed my 21' cargo trailer, I would get about 100 miles per charge. By the time I got where I was going, vacation would be over.

Back