• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

I already know of several relatively new sub-divisions in Edmonton that cannot get 200 amp service. The grid is maxed out.

I have a solution for you:

tesla-not-united-states.jpg

So owning EVs is not about emissions. Ok, got it.
You can’t honestly think this guy is doing this regularly. It’s probably staged. Best case it’s a fringe case, and you’ve already blown them off, you can’t have it both ways.

You can’t honestly think this guy is doing this regularly. It’s probably staged. Best case it’s a fringe case, and you’ve already blown them off, you can’t have it both ways.

It looks like it's somewhere in the Middle East, which is laughable considering it has the lowest prices for gas in the world. It doesn't look staged, I would guess it's because the infrastructure in that country isn't set-up for EV charging, either because it's in the early stages of Tesla sales or the country hasn't invested in it yet. Whatever the case, the owner didn't factor his driving distance with charge remaining, no different than someone running out of gas and using a jerry can. My comment was towards the Edmonton infrastructure issue and I offered a solution, which comes back to a dirty generator running on dirty oil-sands gas, charging an EV to save on emissions for the commute. I can't imagine how long it will take to charge an EV on a portable generator....days? Either way, that's the only solution to get anywhere in an EV when the power grid is limited like it is in California.

I can't imagine how long it will take to charge an EV on a portable generator....days? Either way, that's the only solution to get anywhere in an EV when the power grid is limited like it is in California.
It would depend on the amperage of the generator and the cord (the Tesla ones IIRC adjust based on what plug you use), but you wouldn’t fill it in this case, you just need enough juice to get it to a charger. Strangely enough, you could also flat tow it and the car will generate power, though it’s obviously using additional power from the tow vehicle to do this.

It would depend on the amperage of the generator and the cord (the Tesla ones IIRC adjust based on what plug you use), but you wouldn’t fill it in this case, you just need enough juice to get it to a charger. Strangely enough, you could also flat tow it and the car will generate power, though it’s obviously using additional power from the tow vehicle to do this.
So, now you can use your frunk to carry a tow bar or A-frame. Adding to your weight and reducing your mileage even more. Deplete one vehicle to charge another. Seems pretty ridiculous. Why not slave the two together until the batteries level out to a half charge each? How long would that take? Maybe tents and sleeping bags can become part of the emergency kit. Or maybe take a five gallon jerry can and go get some electricity.

So it's OK to blow it off when it doesn't fit your narrative? You're hypothesizing your opinion. Neither holds the weight of fact.

You are right though. You can't have it both ways.

I have a solution for you:

Gas can turn into electricity? That seems convenient. Can you do the opposite?

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”​

― Albert Einstein

So, now you can use your frunk to carry a tow bar or A-frame. Adding to your weight and reducing your mileage even more. Deplete one vehicle to charge another. Seems pretty ridiculous. Why not slave the two together until the batteries level out to a half charge each? How long would that take? Maybe tents and sleeping bags can become part of the emergency kit. Or maybe take a five gallon jerry can and go get some electricity.
You could if you wanted to but it’s completely unnecessary

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”​

― Albert Einstein
So you can harvest your own gasoline or no? I just pointed out that there are many ways to get electricity, I don’t think that’s true for gas. Didn’t say a generator was a good way to do it or that anyone needs to do this.

I suspect the underlying point, given the reality of friction in the actual non-ideal universe, it that in almost all conceivable cases it's more efficient to burn a fuel at the point of use.

I suspect the underlying point, given the reality of friction in the actual non-ideal universe, it that in almost all conceivable cases it's more efficient to burn a fuel at the point of use.
Again, sounds logical, but grossly misinformed

Again, sounds logical, but grossly misinformed
I couldn't find a part where it shows that burning the gasoline in a generator to produce electricity and then using the electricity to power the car would be more efficient. Could you cut and paste that?

I couldn't find a part where it shows that burning the gasoline in a generator to produce electricity and then using the electricity to power the car would be more efficient. Could you cut and paste that?
That’s not how I read that, those are not efficient at all, they’re ~20%. I was thinking more along the lines of commercially generated electricity transferred via a cable to an outlet. Not necessarily produced near where it’s used but the efficiency is much higher.

That’s not how I read that, those are not efficient at all, they’re ~20%. I was thinking more along the lines of commercially generated electricity transferred via a cable to an outlet. Not necessarily produced near where it’s used but the efficiency is much higher.
Go back and read what I wrote. My point is not about the efficiency of burning gasoline; it's about the fact that the longer the path from source to use, the more energy is lost.

Back