• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military can work in Europe and Asia at the same time

OTOH, where everything is a priority, nothing is a priority

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
The big giant heads will just call it another 'No Fail Mission' and it will be fine.

No Fail Misson.jpg

What is funny is when someone asks for you to give 110% and you pull out the work tracker where you are already at 150-200% and show where the cutoff is for things not getting done, and ask what they want to drop off the triage list. They don't seem to know what to do with that.

I'll give you my answer, because you decided to call me out.

Where did I say the Canadian contingent? I said the Commander of the Mission.

Yes, people are misreading what is being said. ;)

Maybe you should reread the article ? Lt Col Van Eijck is the commander of the BG, not the mission, that’s the TFL Comd.

The big giant heads will just call it another 'No Fail Mission' and it will be fine.

What is funny is when someone asks for you to give 110% and you pull out the work tracker where you are already at 150-200% and show where the cutoff is for things not getting done, and ask what they want to drop off the triage list. They don't seem to know what to do with that.
I've started asking what tasks they don't want me to do.

People weren't impressed when stated to the bosses of my occupation that we had to start choosing where we fail, before the choice is taken away and we fail at something critical.

I'll give you my answer, because you decided to call me out.

Where did I say the Canadian contingent? I said the Commander of the Mission.

Yes, people are misreading what is being said. ;)
My mistake. Given the shift to Trudeau afterwards, I thought the "we" in your previous post was the Canadian contingent.

People weren't impressed when stated to the bosses of my occupation that we had to start choosing where we fail, before the choice is taken away and we fail at something critical.
Feel this so incredibly much.

I have had to remind superiors that personnel, time, and effort are constraints and limitations in operational planning. You can throw as much money and equipment as you want at the problem; my 15/32 Sig Platoon will still only move at the speed of our collective knowledge, experience, and availability.

Until DRDC comes back to me with the results of their "Cpl Cloning initiative", we either let it fail and have people reset their priorities, or we burn out our people and see it fail with people walking away with knowledge and experience.

I had a New Zealander as a boss who taught me to ask "with this new priority, where can I now fail?"
It makes me a hit at O Gps, but I'm now finding people are actually answering that question.

I get that, unfortunately where I am we're already finding things that we're failing at now that have been getting limped along for years. There has been a general longstanding HR risk which is now causing all sorts of fun skeletons to 'realize the risk'.

Not intentionally buried things, but weirdly when you have people double/triple hatted with high turnover lots of things get missed and will just sort of stew. For obsolescence it's pretty fun, as there is usually big supply delays combined with a lack of tech data.

DND needs more Gantt charts with critical paths clearly delineated.

It's always fun to watch the critical path go whoopsie every time you add in more tasks or drop off resources. Eventually you start to think that you need to go from working 5/8s to 5/12s or 6/10s just to hold the line. ;)

🍻

I had a New Zealander as a boss who taught me to ask "with this new priority, where can I now fail?"
It makes me a hit at O Gps, but I'm now finding people are actually answering that question.

I like the three question approach ...

What should we:

1) Stop doing

2) Start doing

3) Keep doing

If you're not asking, and answering, those questions at least monthly you're probably doomed to be overstretched forever ;)

The term 'cobbled together' comes to mind....

When you want to have a lot of people have skin in the game and be noticed for doing so then "cobbled together" is a valid course of action. Be interesting to see how this scales up to a brigade.

“I can confirm that we will be committing additional troops to that endeavour in Latvia as we move to brigade level,” Anand said. “The precise number of troops will depend on the other complimentary contributions that the other member countries will be making.”

🍻

Feel this so incredibly much.

I have had to remind superiors that personnel, time, and effort are constraints and limitations in operational planning. You can throw as much money and equipment as you want at the problem; my 15/32 Sig Platoon will still only move at the speed of our collective knowledge, experience, and availability.

Until DRDC comes back to me with the results of their "Cpl Cloning initiative", we either let it fail and have people reset their priorities, or we burn out our people and see it fail with people walking away with knowledge and experience.
As my friend once told me; only a broken wheel gets fixed.

Increase our presence in Latvia. Increase our efforts in the Pacific. A mission to Haiti and a shit start to the ice storm season. And not enough equipment. Let's see how she handles this. What am I saying.🫢 They'll just fire the CDS and blame white nationalist extremism. 🙄
When we say not enough equipment, are we talking about capital equipment such as LAV’s & trucks, ships & planes?

Or are we talking about the non-sexy equipment that never gets talked about such as radios, diagnostic machines for platforms, etc

(Both equally limiting. One gets talked about a whole lot more than the other)

What should we:

1) Stop doing

2) Start doing

3) Keep doing

If you're not asking, and answering, those questions at least monthly you're probably doomed to be overstretched forever ;)
Great - you know that will be a monthly quad slide now. The 4th will be one random picture of something to fill up space.

1) Stop doing
Nothing! It's all No Fail!

2) Start doing
This new task!

3) Keep doing
Everything of course!

What I've learned, is we can't ASK, we have to TELL the BGHs what we will stop doing and in order to keep doing some tasks and take on new tasks.

The only thing you can really ask is if you have a few tasks that may stop and you aren't sure which one to down tools on and need confirmation on the relative priorities.

Already have safety items below the line on my cut off list, so 'safety' isn't enough of a differentiator anymore. Call it 'Wifi' though and that seems to get top priority (after a gym).

Back