• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

A friend just graduated from that last year. Apparently there was a Captain from France who was rudely surprised to find the course wasn’t just academic.

Tbh, I found the course quite an eye opener and I learned a lot on it. For one, I really got to experience what works and what doesn’t in terms of our ALSE. We also had a guest instructor and students, all SERE instructors in their respective NATO countries. We shared experience and learned from each other. I’d encourage anyone contemplating going on it.

A friend just graduated from that last year. Apparently there was a Captain from France who was rudely surprised to find the course wasn’t just academic.

I did a similar Norwegian course.

There was a Swiss Officer on the course who found out the hard way that there weren't going to be too many 'fondue parties by the piste' ;)

I did a similar Norwegian course.

There was a Swiss Officer on the course who found out the hard way that there weren't going to be too many 'fondue parties by the piste' ;)
Was he reasonably put out to find that it didn’t involved pike and shot so no one cared about the Swiss experiences ?

Was he reasonably put out to find that it didn’t involved pike and shot so no one cared about the Swiss experiences ?

As I recall it was an 'Athens meets Sparta' kind of thing.

When the required 'BFT' is a 30km biathlon race carrying a 30lb ruck and a rifle, and you're used to schussing the champagne pow, it's a pretty good culture shock ;)

I have friends that were invited to a Swiss barracks, “serious soldiering” was not the order of the day.

Does anyone know if the ISSP project has completely stalled out ?

Probably a good thing, it looked like hot 1990s garbage when I saw it. I did hear a rumor they were looking to upgrade the palm pilot thing, but that was years ago.

Probably a good thing, it looked like hot 1990s garbage when I saw it. I did hear a rumor they were looking to upgrade the palm pilot thing, but that was years ago.
I know 2 CMBG has the vests, but I think the electronics have been largely ditched. I just wasn’t sure if it was a full stop or a reset.

The palm pilot thing…. Just hand out an android phone with atak and the hook up to a 152 like they do for JTAC in the DACAS suite.

It's not that simple and DACAS is a technically complex project. You're transmitting and storing SECRET data and the 152A doesn't work the same way the wave relay radios they tried on the first run of ISSP.

I know 2 CMBG has the vests, but I think the electronics have been largely ditched. I just wasn’t sure if it was a full stop or a reset.

The palm pilot thing…. Just hand out an android phone with atak and the hook up to a 152 like they do for JTAC in the DACAS suite.
ISSP without the electronics is like weapons without ammunition.

It's not that simple and DACAS is a technically complex project. You're transmitting and storing SECRET data and the 152A doesn't work the same way the wave relay radios they tried on the first run of ISSP.
Fair, I’m just looking at what that palm pilot was supposed to do, and seeing something that can do broadly the same thing that’s already in service, and actually works.

What you can’t put TS stuff over an iPhone?
Geez next you’re going to tell me I can’t just plug it into a classified network.

Party pooper.

Geez next you’re going to tell me I can’t just plug it into a classified network.

Party pooper.
What the kit is capable of and what DIMEUS allows are two different things.

We often hobble tactical performance because of perceived strategic risk. Our IM/IS policies are the limiting factor, not the gear.

When we are put in a situation where our enemy can out think us faster because they don't need to TCI or put out an RFC every time they set up, then maybe things will change.

Party pooper.
I mean take the SIM card out and it’s just a tablet.

I mean take the SIM card out and it’s just a tablet.
Actually a buddy of mine had a US made IPhone that was encrypted for TS work.
That project died on the vine sadly as no one else in JSOC wanted to pay for them.

Back