• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attack at Nancy Pelosi’s home

Same as calling your political opponent evil, enemies of the people etc etc etc. Add a bunch of conspiracy theories like rigged elections, pedophile rings and people will be encouraged to take action because they listen to their leaders when they say those things.

There are no excuses for this type of thing in western democracies. Ever. Regardless of sides.
100% agree, and realized after posting that I kinda focused too much on one side.

Both sides are equally as bad, and they both do it for the same reasons.

<trying to tap into my dark humour reservoirs to put some icing on this cake somehow, but I’m drawing a blank)

It might just be me but I feel like there is a tendency in general to treat violence against politicians as more shocking than what we see committed against citizens every day.

There are people are getting set on fire, buried alive, sex trafficked, doused with acid, murder-suicides with children, list goes on. The world is insane.

Politicians too seem shocked when they're the target of violence or threats of violence. I'm not sure if they think their job offers them some kind of protection or insulation against this stuff.

Considering how polarizing and divisive politicians are I'm surprised they're not targeted 10x more than they are.

Sorry I hold a view that abhors normalizing violence against folks and that you feel I am Karen/Carolyn for doing so. It is very irrational of me I know!
The guy who made the comment explained what he was getting at, and rather than letting it go as a dumb comment you dredged it up again.

We all abhor violence against fellow citizens for having beliefs different from others, what you're doing is the mild end of that spectrum. You're refusing to let go of a dumb comment because it allows you to sit atop a high horse a decry the evil people on the "other side".
High Horse.jpg

Your point was shite because you didn't say that. You said it was normal news at 1100.
I wrote "escalation continues". Not "normal". The "film at 11" quip indicates something that the speaker/writer doesn't find to be unusual.

I don't find it unusual. Hodgkinson shooting. Attack on Rand Paul. Indifference to harassment of politicians ("part of the process") and USSC justices contributes to normalization (acceptance, indifference, tolerance, etc) of behaviours. It shouldn't be hard to grasp that I'm not in favour of this normalization; I'm observing that it happens. "Broken windows". As I wrote, people should learn from this. Not sure how you managed to leap from that to assuming I condone it.

[Add: maybe I'm asking too much. I wrote: "They ought to sh!tcan their passive "will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest" rhetoric - all politicians, all commentators, all celebrities, everyone with any kind of name recognition. Every level of harassment tolerated is normalized and invites the next escalation.", and that was unclear? Let me try this: "People ought to stop goading others to violence. Tolerance invites escalation."]

I'm not sure there's much of a political angle here; whatever passes for "facts" about the event are in flux. I suppose we're going to learn there's a mental/emotional instability factor.

Regardless of the sidebars (mostly caused by me) on this thread I hope Paul Pelosi pulls through and is not affected long term by this senseless attack.

I hope his attacker is dealt with properly through the judicial system in accordance with the will of a democratic nation and wish no ill will upon them less that what is imposed (or not) by the state in accordance with the laws that govern the jurisdiction they are tried in.

The guy who made the comment explained what he was getting at, and rather than letting it go as a dumb comment you dredged it up again.

We all abhor violence against fellow citizens for having beliefs different from others, what you're doing is the mild end of that spectrum. You're refusing to let go of a dumb comment because it allows you to sit atop a high horse a decry the evil people on the "other side".
View attachment 74504
Meh justifying a dumb comment by making more shite takes isn't clarification. But if you feel he has explained it away then by all means feel free to let it go as well. All he has done is explain that violence is to be expected based on rhetoric and we should accept that, which is abhorrent to me.

Sorry that you feel that my view needs to be compared pejoratively against an ex-GF that should be scorned in some way and I should not dwell on those that feel otherwise. Others certainly seem to be in their right to dwell on their belief that "decades of rhetoric" have led to this moment, why can't people that decry it be equally adamant that it is an abhorrent thought?

Regardless if I am on a high horse, my view is great from my high horse so be it (said every internet warrior ever) :)

Which people who didn't like Rand Paul then cheered on, in social media. And while most of those people were nobodies, some of the people who picked up and retransmitted the tripe were not. As I say: people with platforms have to stop that.

That is certainly a better explanation than your original take. Thanks for explaining what you meant, as it certainly wasn't clear to me that you thought that we shouldn't accept violence against people just because of reasons.

That is certainly a better explanation than your original take. Thanks for explaining what you meant, as it certainly wasn't clear to me that you thought that we shouldn't accept violence against people just because of reasons.
His original take was not unclear. I clearly understood that he meant “everyone should tone it down” not just one political flavour should tone it down. Anyway….

Someone suggested if the election denial rhetoric was perhaps "toned down" a bit, it might help lower the political temperature somewhat.

Maybe not. 🤷‍♂️

Someone suggested if the election denial rhetoric was perhaps "toned down" a bit, it might help lower the political temperature somewhat.

Maybe not. 🤷‍♂️
Indeed. It looks like, a week and a half before the midterm elections, a politically radicalized attacker was looking to probably assassinate the speaker of the House of Representatives. This is not a small deal.

I saw in another article that his family was marinated in conspiracy theories. Of course now I can’t find it.
Some comments at the end of this article.

Indeed. It looks like, a week and a half before the midterm elections, a politically radicalized attacker was looking to probably assassinate the speaker of the House of Representatives. This is not a small deal.
Correct - this could have an effect on the midterms.

Back