• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot-Search and Rescue

pilot40111

Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying for the Deo position for pilots in the Canadian air force. I am mainly interested in search and rescue and wanted to know if you could choose to only do search and rescue when you receive your wings. I am less interested in combat aircrafts and am curious if you can limit yourself to search and rescue or if it up to the force to decide. If it is up to the force how much say do you get?

They say “transport squadron”, and you say “yes sir!”.

• Humorous
Reactions: QV
Hello,

I am applying for the Deo position for pilots in the Canadian air force. I am mainly interested in search and rescue and wanted to know if you could choose to only do search and rescue when you receive your wings. I am less interested in combat aircrafts and am curious if you can limit yourself to search and rescue or if it up to the force to decide. If it is up to the force how much say do you get?
Ask to go helos, then hope for a CH149 Cormorant or a yellow CH-146 Griffon slot.

Helo slots include:

SAR - CH-149 Cormorant (14ac)
SAR/CSS - CH-146 (yellow) (~9ac)
Mar Avn - CH-148 Grey (27ac)
Tac Avn - CH-146 Griffon (green) (65-x)
Tac Avn - CH-147F Chinook (green) (15)
SOA - CH-146 Griffon (black/etc…) (x)

Your odds, all things considered might be about 20-25% to go SAR, unless you drive your destiny and aim for the top to get your choice (ish).

Helo slots include:

SAR - CH-149 Cormorant (14ac)
SAR/CSS - CH-146 (yellow) (~9ac)
Mar Avn - CH-148 Grey (27ac)
Tac Avn - CH-146 Griffon (green) (65-x)
Tac Avn - CH-147F Chinook (green) (15)
SOA - CH-146 Griffon (black/etc…) (x)

Your odds, all things considered might be about 20-25% to go SAR, unless you drive your destiny and aim for the top to get your choice (ish).
Thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed.
If you get assigned a regular Tac Avn is there opportunity to move towards SARs?

Thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed.
If you get assigned a regular Tac Avn is there opportunity to move towards SARs?
Several have, yes. If you went Tac avn, you might not want to go in to SAR later. Desires/visions change. It’s most important to like/enjoy what you’re doing, and there’s a lot of exciting stuff out there to do.

Several have, yes. If you went Tac avn, you might not want to go in to SAR later. Desires/visions change. It’s most important to like/enjoy what you’re doing, and there’s a lot of exciting stuff out there to do.
Thanks alot, these were very insightful answer. I appreciate your reply's.

Are we talking geologic “soon”?

Woah woah, there…tectonically (fast) isn’t an adjective that should be casually thrown about when it comes to DND timelines…

Well, CSS are supposed to transfer to 1 Wing next year. I already heard Tac Hel COs talk about taking the domestic PR mission that CSS have and tailor it to a combat PR mission…. Sigh….
Color me from Missouri* on that one…

Back