• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

If her ability to lead and govern is in any way similar to her ability to fact check and use logic while writing her acceptance speech, I have very high expectations that we will see an NDP government in Alberta next year.

If her ability to lead and govern is in any way similar to her ability to fact check and use logic while writing her acceptance speech, I have very high expectations that we will see an NDP government in Alberta next year.
That is a definite possibility. She will have an uphill battle against a hostile media machine.

I actually see it the same way.

I'm just not sure central Canada is that interested in "improving" the confederation unless it benefits them in some way and maintains their iron fist rule of the country.
They are not. But it's time other provinces in addition to Quebec start using the constitution to put Ottawa overreach back in it's place. Alberta is probably the only other province even capable of this. Many of the others, particularly the "have nots", are too dependent on Ottawa and couldn't take a stronger stance if they wanted to.

The entity of her acceptance speech, from an oppositional you tube channel no less.

That is a definite possibility. She will have an uphill battle against a hostile media machine.
That's because the media loves to report on asinine ideas. <coughsovereigntyactcough>

That's because the media loves to report on asinine ideas. <coughsovereigntyactcough>
True enough…

But on the flip side, they also love to report good ideas which they make sound asinine with their “experts” & not so hidden agendas.

(She may want to rethink the name of the Act, but I think she’s tapped into a current sentiment across the country in which provinces want the power to say NO in situations where the federal government is overreaching, or otherwise seems to be making bad choices.)

It's not a hostile media machine.
It's a media that is pointing how messed up her ideas and platform are.

It's not a hostile media machine.
It's a media that is pointing how messed up her ideas and platform are.
Messed up ideas like protecting areas of provincial jurisdiction? Messed up like emulating Quebec and Ontario's provincial police set up?

Well, excuse me then.

Messed up ideas like protecting areas of provincial jurisdiction? Messed up like emulating Quebec and Ontario's provincial police set up?

Well, excuse me then.
How many times do you need to be told? What's good for District 12 is of no concern to The Capitol.

The whole point of politics is to effect legislative change, and the starting point for legislative change is changing what people want. Citing legislation as a reason to not bother politicking is about as worthwhile as trying to bottle fog.

She has yet to actually put out any details of the plan, so waste of time to speculate on it's contents, but could range from reasonable provincial boundaries, to a flagrant disregard of the constitution and fundamental federal/provincial relationship.

But the other UCP candidates seemed to have collectively agreed the proposal was nuts and demonstrated a basic lack of understanding of Canadian civics.

And Alberta, like QC, needs to keep in mind that huge swathes are actually FN treaty territory, and if the province decides to separates that means nothing for the FN territory leaving Canada, which has a large overlap with a lot of O&G reserves or corridors for things like pipelines. They'd be a lot better off getting the FN on side with their plans than turning this into a provincial vs Ottawa pissing contest.

Back