• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nigerian Parachute Demonstration -

I was Duty Officer at Depot PARA once upon a time when the RAF decorated our facility with jumpers.

One guy landed on the roof of an accommodation block and plunged four stories to the parade square below.

Good news: the MIR was literally steps away from where he landed

Bad news: he was in no condition to take any steps

“No no no, we said NOT to jump like the Russians!” 🤦🏼‍♂️

(I’m guessing their emoji guy would be a few shades darker)

Heard a bunch of bad things about the DZ in Gagetown while I was there - we had a few injuries from Cas PARA's in 2 RCR there.

Heard a bunch of bad things about the DZ in Gagetown while I was there - we had a few injuries from Cas PARA's in 2 RCR there.
I used to know several CAR guys and most were pretty good. Herb - who later was found to be a bit off - told me that if the winds are too high at the DZ they'd probably jump anyways due to the cost of flying them all the way to where ever they went.

Later found to be a bit off? Does one dare ask? (Broadly speaking, Ofcourse)

With our lot, “a bit off” is measured differently than that of the normal folk…

I had heard quite a few stories from that DZ also, but never had any personal experience with it. Quite the injury causing DZ from everything I’ve heard.

Later found to be a bit off? Does one dare ask? (Broadly speaking, Ofcourse)

With our lot, “a bit off” is measured differently than that of the normal folk…
You don't want to know......

Was at a jump in Wainwright eons ago. Too dark, too windy, predictable results.

I used to know several CAR guys and most were pretty good. Herb - who later was found to be a bit off - told me that if the winds are too high at the DZ they'd probably jump anyways due to the cost of flying them all the way to where ever they went.
A couple friends of mine told me if there were press on the ground, they got "Winds 3" followed by double middle finger from the jump master and green light on...then hoped for the best.

A couple friends of mine told me if there were press on the ground, they got "Winds 3" followed by double middle finger from the jump master and green light on...then hoped for the best.
It is actually “Winds 12” (the limit was 13). If you heard that, you knew it was going to be spicy…

It is actually “Winds 12” (the limit was 13). If you heard that, you knew it was going to be spicy…
Oh believe me, sometimes the JM would simply say Winds 3, after the Loadie had clearly communicated Winds 15+. If you where the 1-4 man, it was a little disconcerting - the rest usually couldn't see the Wind Hand Off occurring.

Oh believe me, sometimes the JM would simply say Winds 3, after the Loadie had clearly communicated Winds 15+. If you where the 1-4 man, it was a little disconcerting - the rest usually couldn't see the Wind Hand Off occurring.
Fair enough. I was stick lead for “winds 12” situation where there was a bunch of eye rolling between the Loadie and the JM, before I got the ”standby” into the door…

I supported a TALEX in the late 80s by dispatching 3CDO in a 3-plane formation on DZ Anzio in Pet, then followed a tactical route to Picton, where the JMs on each plane would self-dispatch over DZ Hallowell. Well, that was the plan… we ended up with 6 JMs going off DZ, most of us landing in trees at night, and one landing on the roof of the local mental hospital which looked, interestingly, a lot like the CAR shacks!Screenshot 2022-10-02 11.58.27.png
ETA: Pic is from ca2014

I supported a TALEX in the late 80s by dispatching 3CDO in a 3-plane formation on DZ Anzio in Pet, then followed a tactical route to Picton, where the JMs on each plane would self-dispatch over DZ Hallowell. Well, that was the plan… we ended up with 6 JMs going off DZ, most of us landing in trees at night, and one landing on the roof of the local mental hospital which looked, interestingly, a lot like the CAR shacks!View attachment 73964
I was pretty sure that was the CDO lines or the RCHA/CER ones. Wow.

I supported a TALEX in the late 80s by dispatching 3CDO in a 3-plane formation on DZ Anzio in Pet, then followed a tactical route to Picton, where the JMs on each plane would self-dispatch over DZ Hallowell. Well, that was the plan… we ended up with 6 JMs going off DZ, most of us landing in trees at night, and one landing on the roof of the local mental hospital which looked, interestingly, a lot like the CAR shacks!View attachment 73964
ETA: Pic is from ca2014
LOL. Except for the bars in the windows. CAR had different bars. :whistle:

Back