• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

One would think that the virtue-signaling appointee Commissioner would be mindful of the members’ safety and advise the PM accordingly, no?

Its gross politicking by the Alberta Gov. at the expense of the RCMP.

The way to beat that legislation is through an electoral campaign and in the HOC and senate. Not by furthering divisive politics.

I would hate to be part of those detachments when I am then ordered to go recover now banned firearms.

Its gross politicking by the Alberta Gov. at the expense of the RCMP.

The way to beat that legislation is through an electoral campaign and in the HOC and senate. Not by furthering divisive politics.

I would hate to be part of those detachments when I am then ordered to go recover now banned firearms.
Yea, most "law-abiding" gun owners will follow the law and give up their fire arms if requested by the RCMP.

However, there's always a few crazies out there, and the chance of those crazies doing stupid when the RCMP come along just went up.

(and to be clear, from what I've read, the RCMP won't be going around purposefully confiscating guns, but 1. confiscate them in the course of other duties, or 2. establish "turn in your gun" days/events type of things)

Yea, most "law-abiding" gun owners will follow the law and give up their fire arms if requested by the RCMP.

As much as I hate this legislation, and I despise it with my whole existence, you're right.

However, there's always a few crazies out there, and the chance of those crazies doing stupid when the RCMP come along just went up.

And I truly hope this doesn't push the crazies further...

(and to be clear, from what I've read, the RCMP won't be going around purposefully confiscating guns, but 1. confiscate them in the course of other duties, or 2. establish "turn in your gun" days/events type of things)

I don't have faith it will end there.

Hmmm, BC has not enforced certain drug laws for years... did the world melt down over that? Maybe it did somewhat, perhaps the public safety crisis in Victoria could be attributed to this...

Using the RCMP as political pawn is wrong.

And its probably going to put the safety of those officers in jeopardy.

They're not a political pawn, nor are they in jeopardy. Alberta has decided not to participate in the gross federal government overreach of confiscating private property that was perfectly legal and fine before Trudeau. Much more to come on that front if Smith is elected and the UCP can hold onto power.

Using the RCMP as political pawn is wrong.

And its probably going to put the safety of those officers in jeopardy.
The confiscation process already does that. Some of the Liberals will be happy if a gun owner shoots a police officer, because it will further their agenda. This also means that the Feds will have cough up more money and it will likely be the nail in the coffin for the RCMP policing the Province in the long run.

Hmmm, BC has not enforced certain drug laws for years... did the world melt down over that? Maybe it did somewhat, perhaps the public safety crisis in Victoria could be attributed to this...

They're not a political pawn, nor are they in jeopardy. Alberta has decided not to participate in the gross federal government overreach of confiscating private property that was perfectly legal and fine before Trudeau. Much more to come on that front if Smith is elected and the UCP can hold onto power.
By "much more", you mean more "hot air" and unenforceable legislation?

They will hand them over because the State will use everything up to deadly force to make it happen.

Eventually the Police will be used to round them up if people don't comply.

By "much more", you mean more "hot air" and unenforceable legislation?
I mean by not enforcing federal dictates that are harmful to Alberta and Albertans. See the proposed Alberta Sovereignty Act for more information.

Most Albertans support and love the RCMP. They want the RCMP to continue to be Canada's federal police service and at the same time they want an Alberta Provincial Police. Just like Que and Ont.

I mean by not enforcing federal dictates that are harmful to Alberta and Albertans. See the proposed Alberta Sovereignty Act for more information.
Oh I've looked into the Alberta Sovereignty Act and read critiques of it. Similar to the recent announcement being a politicization of the RCMP to benefit the UCP by exciting their base, the Sovereignty Act is a politicization of the constitution.

Most Albertans support and love the RCMP. They want the RCMP to continue to be Canada's federal police service and at the same time they want an Alberta Provincial Police. Just like Que and Ont.
I'm assuming the "most" in your first sentence also applies to your second sentence, in which case:

An online survey conducted by Pollara Strategic Insights from July 6-19, 2022, shows that Albertans support the Alberta RCMP and do not support this expensive proposal:

• 84% want to keep the RCMP and only 9% of Albertans support this proposed transition.
  • 72% agree that RCMP Members have a personal connection to the community they serve, and 70% agree that RCMP officers are accountable to their community.
  • 90% want a detailed accounting of the full costs of transition before any decision is made.

No, they should all be required to follow laws, but I'm very much looking forward to your gotcha moment!
I’d argue in Alberta the Cdn Gun Laws are fairly unenforceable.
But I’m not tracking your previous response, as it seemed that you suggested BC’s non enforcement of Federal Drug laws was legitimate.

So a point of clarification.

BC is not “ignoring” certain federal laws. They made a successful application for exemptions with a detailed plan and got permission.

Alberta is just unilaterally declaring.

All laws are enforceable if there is political will to do so.

On the other hand, former Public Safety Minister Blair stated in the HoC that police resources would not be used to administer the Compensated Confiscation (TM) scheme.

But I’m not tracking your previous response, as it seemed that you suggested BC’s non enforcement of Federal Drug laws was legitimate.
Ah, that's because I never made mention of BC's non-enforcement of Fed drug laws; the only person that brought up BC's drug law enforcement was I believe @QV.

So a point of clarification.

BC is not “ignoring” certain federal laws. They made a successful application for exemptions with a detailed plan and got permission.

Alberta is just unilaterally declaring.

So they recently got an exemption that will "be in effect from Jan. 31, 2023 to Jan. 31, 2026, throughout British Columbia" for something they've already been doing for years. They basically got top cover for something already in practice.

"This exemption is not legalization. These substances remain illegal, but adults who have 2.5 grams or less of the certain illicit substances for personal use will no longer be arrested, charged or have their drugs seized. Instead, police will offer information on available health and social supports and will help with referrals when requested."

You could argue that not participating in the confiscation plan now when a new PP government will abolish it is just being proactive and avoiding problems down the road. :)

Back