• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Yes, much of it is hearsay. While generally not sufficient to convict, this is more in the nature of an inquiry/investigation, and testimony like this leads to further testimony from others. It’ll be interesting to see who cooperates with subpoenas to testify in the wake of Hutchinson’s info. The nice thing is, everything she said should be straightforward to corroborate, saving for individuals who elect to either defy subpoena or exercise their right not to self incriminate.

The Secret Service has said they’ll cooperate fully, with specific reference to being named in the testimony today. Some allegations in particular, like the frequency of reported weapons, or Trump attempting to order the removal of magnetometers, should be very easy to corroborate from Secret Service radio transmissions and incident notes.

Testimony from Mark Meadows would be the gold nugget if they can work to that.

Mm hm. Bearing in mind that there has been a bunch of closed door depositions already, and that we’re talking some very astute political operators in that committee, I’d be very surprised if they asked her a single question or asked that she describe a single event that they don’t already know about and don’t already have receipts for. They’re building this very deliberately and are structuring the public testimony to dismantle Trump’s primary lines of defense regarding his actions on or around January 6th. I don’t think they would have put her up there on speculation, nor let her start saying things that would otherwise seem fantastical and explosive if they didn’t already have corroboration.

I could be wrong, but that would indicate very amateurish mistakes on the committee’s part.

The astute part is the production values. Politically, they're not moving any needles that matter. They are many of the same people who were Russian Collusion True Believers, or who at least tried to peddle that show as if it were true.

The astute part is the production values. Politically, they're not moving any needles that matter. They are many of the same people who were Russian Collusion True Believers, or who at least tried to peddle that show as if it were true.
It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, DOJ does with the information and testimony that’s coming out of this committee. That will ultimately matter much more

I doubt the administration will double down on their political show after Democrats get whomped in the midterms. There will be intense pressure behind closed doors to stop the bleeding before 2024.

I’m speaking of criminal investigations, which shouldn’t be particularly impacted by whatever happens in the midterms. And, of course, there’s a very real prospect of criminal investigations and potentially indictments in jurisdictions other than Federal.

Shrug we’ll see what, if anything, eventually comes out of any grand juries. I believe New York and Georgia each have grand juries empaneled for investigations around Trump; the Georgia one, at least directly concerns the election. At this point I would be astonished not to see federal prosecutions of further administration figures as well.

I find grand juries a bizarre system myself, but, I suppose, when pretty much every other player is elected and thus potentially partisan, they can serve a purpose.

The Beast is currently an armored Suburban.

I get the impression they use the SUV as a sort of presidential "beater" car, and the stretch limo is reserved for more formal / ceremonial occasions?

I get the impression they use the SUV as a sort of presidential "beater" car, and the stretch limo is reserved for more formal / ceremonial occasions?
AFAIK the Suburban is it for all venues these days, but I don’t really follow that sort of thing.

I suspect that texting a buddy on PPD about that would cause more issues for me than worth…

AFAIK the Suburban is it for all venues these days, but I don’t really follow that sort of thing.

I suspect that texting a buddy on PPD about that would cause more issues for me than worth…
President Biden used a stretch limo for his inauguration. Don't know if he has used it since.

Another sentencing handed down today. 87 months in prison for off-duty police officer Thomas Robertson.

Department of Justice said:
The jury found him guilty of five felonies: obstruction of an official proceeding, civil disorder, entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds while carrying a dangerous weapon, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building while carrying a dangerous weapon, and tampering with a document or proceedings.

Notably, no outright violent offences. More indication that anyone convicted at trial of violent offences (E.g., assaulting police) will likely face a pretty significant hard floor for sentencing and will be doing significant time.

The names of hundreds of U.S. law enforcement officers, elected officials and military members appear on the leaked membership rolls of a far-right extremist group that’s accused of playing a key role in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, according to a report released Wednesday.

Back