• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CADPAT...what's causing the availability delay?

It’s late, long day and I’m getting old. I2? Maybe my brain just isn’t firing…

I’ve spent a few hours looking for and watching people on EOIR; can’t say I would bet my life on latest gen material making me invisible to a sensor.
Not still thinking that red light at night is ninja tactical, vice making yourself a brilliant beacon to any NVD…

Maybe then we should scrap kilts, if they're that expensive and add no real operational benefit?
To be honest, I'm not sure why the army decided they would start paying for them. Before they were provided at the regiment's expense, usually paid for by the regimental association, honourary colonel, etc. They would however last for decades, if it wasn't for a recent order, the majority of the troops in my regiment would be wearing kilts that were much older than they were. I'm not sure how well these logisiticorps kilts will hold u.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the army decided they would start paying for them. Before they were provided at the regiment's expense, usually paid for by the regimental association, honourary colonel, etc. They would however last for decades, if it wasn't for a recent order, the majority of the troops in my regiment would be wearing kilts that were much older than they were. I'm not sure how well these logisiticorps kilts wil

As I recall, the CAF allocated a Kilt grant to each regiment for purchasing/ refurbishing kilts.

I also recall there was no funding provided for dry cleaning said kilts.

Let that sink in for a minute ... before you gag ;)

As I recall, the CAF allocated a Kilt grant to each regiment for purchasing/ refurbishing kilts.

I also recall there was no funding provided for dry cleaning said kilts.

Let that sink in for a minute ... before you gag ;)
That's why most people get a newly issued kilt dry cleaned before wearing it. It is basically like reissuing underwear.

That's why most people get a newly issued kilt dry cleaned before wearing it. It is basically like reissuing underwear.
Thanks for the tip here guys…about 21yrs too late, but good to know…

Canada's pseudo-Highland units were formed in craven attempts to appeal to ex-pat Scots in Canada. Continued utility of kilts etc is questionable at best.

Canada's pseudo-Highland units were formed in craven attempts to appeal to ex-pat Scots in Canada. Continued utility of kilts etc is questionable at best.
Is this when I drop the little-mentioned fact that "clan tartans" weren't really a thing until the 1800s or after?

It is generally regarded that "clan tartans" date no earlier than the beginning of the 19th century, and are an example of an invented tradition. Contemporary portraits show that although tartan is of an early date, the pattern worn depended not on the wearer's clan, but rather upon his or her present affiliation, place of origin or current residence, or personal taste.

David Morier's well-known mid-1700s painting of the Highland charge at the Battle of Culloden (right) shows the clansmen wearing various tartans. The setts painted all differ from one another and very few of those painted resemble any of today's clan tartans.[29] The method of identifying friend from foe was not through tartans but by the colour of ribbon worn upon the bonnet.[e][f]

The idea of groups of men wearing the same tartan is thought to originate from the military units in the 18th century. Evidence suggests that in 1725 the Independent Highland Companies may have worn a uniform tartan.[29]

Not all of the kilted regiments are Highland regiments, one is Irish, some are Lowland, and some are Scottish without any territorial identification. The kilt today is part of regimental pride that brings together a unit regardless of their ethnic background. It works the same way as any other regimental symbol.

Not all of the kilted regiments are Highland regiments, one is Irish, some are Lowland, and some are Scottish without any territorial identification. The kilt today is part of regimental pride that brings together a unit regardless of their ethnic background. It works the same way as any other regimental symbol.

Back