• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

On the other hand, it might serve as a daily reminder to MPs as to the consequences of their decisions, if the tomb was in Centre Block…
They already have the book of remembrance there and they turn the page every day with an actual ceremony every day to do it.

I disagree, I like having it out on a major plaza where a lot of people stumble on it and take a few moments to pay respects and reflect. Putting it in Parliament would take it well off the beaten path.
I agree with you.

That area, looking north on Elgin street, seems to draw people to it. I'm sure it's planned that way but tons of people (including me) just go towards the NWM and stop there for a second.

I also make a point to stop by Cpl Cirillo's plaque on the SE end of the NWM site too, but that's just me.

Needless to say, the promised noon arrest of PMJT did not, in fact, take place.
Which nutjob promised that?

Looks like a lot of vets who can't let go of their former life/identity.
Probably sprinkled with some folks who are just calling themselves "vets" who have never served. I somehow doubt the organizers did background checks on their supporters.

I imagine the security bill will be pretty steep.

Work OT on a Stat Holiday? That's triple-time-and-a-half.

I imagine the security bill will be pretty steep.

Work OT on a Stat Holiday? That's triple-time-and-a-half.
Nah, Ottawa, OPP, and RCMP make time and a half for working on a stat. It’s not super lucrative.

Nah, Ottawa, OPP, and RCMP make time and a half for working on a stat. It’s not super lucrative.

Guess it depends on the municipality. Ours was,

If the employee works on a designated holiday, the employee will be paid two (2) times their regular rate for time so worked and in addition shall be paid for a full day at their regular rate of pay.

I’m sure they’d rather be chilling by the BBQ with a beer.

You could book off the next day and do that. :)

Exactly why I explicitly did not volunteer for OT this time.

We could take the OT in pay, or lieu time. Your choice. Maybe Ottawa has the same agreement? 🤷‍♂️

Employees shall be entitled, at their option, to receive pay or lieu time for each hour of overtime worked, at the appropriate overtime rate.

The point is, whether they take it in pay or lieu, and whatever their OT on a stat rate is in Ottawa, Freedom rally security costs must be pretty high.

This IMO is pure garbage. Get a fricking life. Yes we served and I don't expect anything other than what I receive from CFSA or VAC. I do not expect huge discounts etc or people to grovel in front of me saying "we're not worthy".

Absolutely disgusting self entitled jerks every one of them.
I'd want to know what the percentage of actual vets are in the crowd vs "supporters" just wanting attention.

Interesting stretch of the definition of "unknown soldier" :(
... Is it entirely their doing? The government and businesses are quick to use the veteran brand for their own promotion (just like they do with Pride).

If you put people up on a pedestal some of them will take it to heart.
Yeah, like with anything, some let it go to their heads, but I don't think paying LESS attention to veterans would improve things this way. This protest is driven by hate of current management, but I suspect a lot of folks around here would be complaining if veterans are held in less esteem by any government or businesses.

Back