• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO Climate Change and Security Centre of Excellence

I don't know how in the hell NATO, as an organization, can fight against climate change. There's no enemy we need to deter. We can't lob a Salvo of artillery at it. What the hell do they expect us to do?

Are we waging war against corporations who pollute more than some NATO partner nations? I'm honestly at a loss for how this is anything but a pet project distraction from our abysmal contributions to the Latvian Brigade...

Convenient timing, NATO released this report yesterday.

While dozens of innocents are dying daily in Ukraine, we're doing our bit!

NATO releases its Climate Change and Security Impact Assessment​

In a 'sobering' assessment report released today (28 June 2022), NATO recognises climate change as an 'overarching challenge of our time' that will 'measurably' increase the risks to security and ‘worsen as the world warms further’. It calls for a fundamental transformation of NATO’s approach to defence and security and sets NATO as a leading international organisation in understanding and adapting to climate change.

This assessment is part of an ambitious Action Plan on Climate Change and Security that NATO Leaders adopted at the Brussels Summit in 2021. Enhanced awareness will help inform NATO’s work to adapt to the altered strategic and operating environment.

At the first High-Level Dialogue on Climate Change and Security held today in Madrid on the margins of NATO’s Summit, NATO’s Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg announced Allies’ decision to reduce gas emissions by at least 45% by 2030, down to net zero by 2050. A new methodology for measuring NATO’s greenhouse gas emissions, both civilian and military, will help guide gas reduction efforts. ‘This is vital’, the Secretary General said at the Dialogue, ‘because only what gets measured, can get cut’. The aim is to ensure that NATO maintains its operational effectiveness and readiness in a more environment-friendly way.

The event, which brought together NATO Allies, partners and other stakeholders from around the world, will, under NATO’s leadership, become an annual platform for international consultations on climate change, address security impacts in a collaborative way and exchange best practices.
NATO’s new Strategic Concept, to be adopted by Allied Heads of State and Government later this week, will also, for the first time, recognise climate change as a major security challenge for NATO in the decade to come.

I don't know how in the hell NATO, as an organization, can fight against climate change. There's no enemy we need to deter. We can't lob a Salvo of artillery at it. What the hell do they expect us to do?

Are we waging war against corporations who pollute more than some NATO partner nations? I'm honestly at a loss for how this is anything but a pet project distraction from our abysmal contributions to the Latvian Brigade...
NATO as an organization has interests beyond pure military. This includes a NATO Science and Technology Organization which has some far reaching mandates.

All that to say that while there may some benefits to this project, to highlight it with such fanfare while dodging the real challenges and events ongoing right now shows where our government's priorities are and how unbelievably shallow it is. It is entirely unable to get its head out of its ass.

😖

At this rate I am going to listen to George Carlin (RIP) - a man way ahead of his time - and Jim Jefferies who's talk was defecating in front of an almost three year old to show him how to not crap in his pants.

NATO as an organization has interests beyond pure military. This includes a NATO Science and Technology Organization which has some far reaching mandates.

All that to say that while there may some benefits to this project, to highlight it with such fanfare while dodging the real challenges and events ongoing right now shows where our government's priorities are and how unbelievably shallow it is. It is entirely unable to get its head out of its ass.

😖

Or we could just invade China, India and Russia ;)

Not all countries face the same level of responsibility regarding the climate crisis.

The last report of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) pointed out that during the last year recorded (2020), the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere broke another record, despite a drop in fossil fuel emissions during the Covid-19 pandemic. Specifically, the concentration reached 413 parts per million (ppm) in 2020, 149% more than pre-industrial levels (before 1750).

Top 10 polluters

However, most of this pollution comes from just a few countries: China, for example, generates around 30% of all global emissions, while the United States is responsible for almost 14%.In the ranking below you can find the 10 countries that produce the most emissions, measured in millions of tons of CO2 in 2019.

1. China, with more than 10,065 million tons of CO2 released.
  2. United States, with 5,416 million tons of CO2
  3. India, with 2,654 million tons of CO2
  4. Russia, with 1,711 million tons of CO2
  5. Japan, 1,162 million tons of CO2
  6. Germany, 759 million tons of CO2
  7. Iran, 720 million tons of CO2
  8. South Korea, 659 million tons of CO2
  9. Saudi Arabia, 621 million tons of CO2
  10. Indonesia, 615 million tons of CO2

The flashiness of the announcement does make it look like "look here, not at that other stuff" - well done, info-machine at not achieving that goal. And I'm betting my loonie the same way as others smarter than me saying "another HQ" and "another GOFO (or so)".

That said, militaries & others all over seem to be taking climate change seriously as a cause/aggravator of conflict, and a factor affecting ops ...

Is this worth looking at? Yup.

Is this going to do it? Maybe.

Will it do a good job? See above re: how I'm betting my loonie.

I suspect the centre will be an ECCC lead, with a minimal military component. There is already a MOU between DND and ECCC for Met/Climate support.

Anand, Trudeau and Joly on the platform.

Joly looking dead chuffed.

Anand looking dead.

Canada skates again.

Reactions: ueo
Back