• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty

Why wouldn't you establish your OTH OP as far forward as you can?
Given the potential range of the technology, the costs of far north, remote siting may not be justified. I don't know the characteristics and limitations of the various types of radars - most of this is waaaay above my mental paygrade, but if this Wiki image is to believed and is current, as simply an early warning system I'm not sure what we need to install on out soil at all.

1656558995463.png

Given the potential range of the technology, the costs of far north, remote siting may not be justified. I don't know the characteristics and limitations of the various types of radars - most of this is waaaay above my mental paygrade, but if this Wiki image is to believed and is current, as simply an early warning system I'm not sure what we need to install on out soil at all.

View attachment 71718
From that map it seems to me the neighbourly thing to do would be to place one at Resolute. Just to show willing if nothing else. On the other hand it would offer mutual support by overlapping existing arcs as back up.

Maybe we could place the interceptors at Eureka or Grise Fjord.

From that map it seems to me the neighbourly thing to do would be to place one at Resolute. Just to show willing if nothing else. On the other hand it would offer mutual support by overlapping existing arcs as back up.

Yellowknife might be easier.

Thinking a bit more about the thought.

Suppose you had a Battery with a hardship posting. What would happen if you rotated three Troops through the post. The other two Troops could monitor the feed from the sensor or effectors from down south, and cover the night shifts. The deployed Troop covers the day shift and all field maintenance issues.

View attachment 71718
It depends on what you want to detect, which is why you use a variety of sensors.

It's not one threat we need to detect/track/identify its aircraft, ballistic missiles, ballistic missile decoys/countermeasures, cruise missiles, hypersonic cruise missiles, hypersonic glide vehicles, just to name a few. Each one of those things are different.

This is likely why the proposed sensor net includes two radar lines, look-down satellites, and other sensors. When you optimize for a particular target with a sensor you can lose fidelity on things that are not the same as that target.

Seems like a lot of coin if the goal is to simply show willingness. I get the need for overlapping arcs, redundancy, etc. and s mentioned downthread, tailoring what you deploy and where to what you are looking for. Multiple layers and sensor types probably makes much sense. I don't know the power requirements of such things, but a site with grid power, decent year-round access and south-facing communications linkage would seem to be an advantage. IDK - just pulling thoughts out of my butt here.

Eureka or Grise Fjiord? Can I be there when you tell the missus that's your next posting? Given the comments on other threads about the horrors of being posted to some places we already have, I can imagine what the thoughts of these places would be. A lot might depend on how many people you need on site to run and maintain these things. Given the size of some of the trades involved, even a tasking rotation might become disruptively repetitive. If some kind of 'site security force' is needed, perhaps another role for the Rangers.

Seems like a lot of coin if the goal is to simply show willingness. I get the need for overlapping arcs, redundancy, etc. and s mentioned downthread, tailoring what you deploy and where to what you are looking for. Multiple layers and sensor types probably makes much sense. I don't know the power requirements of such things, but a site with grid power, decent year-round access and south-facing communications linkage would seem to be an advantage. IDK - just pulling thoughts out of my butt here.

Eureka or Grise Fjiord? Can I be there when you tell the missus that's your next posting? Given the comments on other threads about the horrors of being posted to some places we already have, I can imagine what the thoughts of these places would be. A lot might depend on how many people you need on site to run and maintain these things. Given the size of some of the trades involved, even a tasking rotation might become disruptively repetitive. If some kind of 'site security force' is needed, perhaps another role for the Rangers.
It seems to me the definition of a colony is a place you are happy to exploit but can't imagine living there.

I spent the best part of a decade living two weeks on two weeks off visiting remote sites characterized by cold, rocks and ice. For that privilege I had to uproot the wife from Calgary and take her to Indiana. Not only didn't she see me she didn't see her family. And no government pension at the end.

As to tasking the Rangers... of course the Rangers should be tasked. To work alongside the Southerners. Remember those Rangers didn't ask to be in Resolute or Grise Fjord. All things considered I believe they would rather be in Kuujjuaq.

Grise Fjord and Eureka are unlikely to be much different than Akutan, Alaska.

Owning Canada is an expensive proposition that requires some effort. Not everything can be done from Wasaga Beach and the shores of Quinte.

Actually, not terrible, compared to Res Bay.

One on Iqualit; one in Tuk? powered by SMNRs that gives the locals free electricity?
Why not Churchill? Once the rail line is operational again, you've got 3 methods of access in/out - rail, air and sea. Redundancy is good.

As to tasking the Rangers... of course the Rangers should be tasked. To work alongside the Southerners. Remember those Rangers didn't ask to be in Resolute or Grise Fjord. All things considered I believe they would rather be in Kuujjuaq.

Canada's Rangers have their limitations, including very limited military training of any type and terms of service that aren't all that different from a Class A reservist in downtown Toronto. For example, as I understand it, they receive a fraction of the training that a 18 year old college kid will get in their first year of militia service

If we want a reliable military presence in the high arctic, it will need to be Reg F resource commitment.

Canada's Rangers have their limitations, including very limited military training of any type and terms of service that aren't all that different from a Class A reservist in downtown Toronto. For example, as I understand it, they receive a fraction of the training that a 18 year old college kid will get in their first year of militia service

If we want a reliable military presence in the high arctic, it will need to be Reg F resource commitment.
with respect to hardship wouldn't 2 on 2 off negate it? After all they reduced the off-shore commitments by shortening the time frame for deployment below the cutoff line if I heard correctly and you gotta believe that the TB does not have your best interests at heart

Why not just ask more of both the Rangers and Militia and properly employ the Class A, B, C tiers?

Back