• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Another thing to add to the growing divide
true yet there are schools that have initiated prayer halls to accommodate Muslim students and none of the protestors have ever been heard opposing that.

true yet there are schools that have initiated prayer halls to accommodate Muslim students and none of the protestors have ever been heard opposing that.

Prayer hall. That's the word(s) I was looking for !

I wonder what Chief Justice Thomas will do when when the decision
As far as that Green Card thing you want to apply now.
Under the Supreme Court's new ownership you may very well qualify for both that and a Alabama driver's license..
Canadian Citizens married to US Citizens don't need to "apply" for a Green Card -- you just need to cross the border -- stay for 30 days, and then IF you decided you both like it down here more, and you apply for change of status as someone married to an American (which will issue you a Green Card automatically).

The key is you can't enter planning that. My wife and I where married in Boston, but we went to Aruba for our honeymoon, upon return my passport got stamped with some code that wouldn't let me stay the usual 180 days that Canadians could in the US, and I had to be out inside 30 (so I couldn't simply change my status).
Once you have a green card you can't leave until you get "Leave to Travel" - and the Green Card can get revoked if you aren't really living in the US.

The process isn't that bad, the only hiccup for me was during naturalization when the investigator who wasn't used to dealing with former Military members accidentally didn't fill out a drop down menu for one of the questions I checked yes to -- and so it left all the subcategories checked -- so I had a second interview - and was really surprised when they asked me about torturing people (that second investigator was used to working with US Mil personnel naturalizing - and realized when I was like WTF dude, I didn't torture anyone, nor did I check that box - and so he figured out the error fairly easily - and corrected the entries - and apologized and welcomed me to America - and I then had my swearing in etc

It was weird as they where collecting all the passports from folks who where naturalizing and I was like hey you left mine, and they said, yeah your also Canadian, you can keep being one if you want.

... It was weird as they where collecting all the passports from folks who where naturalizing and I was like hey you left mine, and they said, yeah your also Canadian, you can keep being one if you want.
That bit's interesting - my (possibly incorrect) understanding is that dual citizenship's at least strongly discouraged in the U.S.

That bit's interesting - my (possibly incorrect) understanding is that dual citizenship's at least strongly discouraged in the U.S.
I was significantly surprised, to say the least.

I had totally expected to turn in my Canada passport, and my shock at there refusal to take it later was even more great than them not taking it originally.

You mean like the space that the school/board offered him as accomodation so that he could continue with his personal religous freedoms?

I was significantly surprised, to say the least.

I had totally expected to turn in my Canada passport, and my shock at there refusal to take it later was even more great than them not taking it originally.
Maybe they were expecting you to turn it in back in Canada ... thx for the info!

You mean like the space that the school/board offered him as accomodation so that he could continue with his personal religous freedoms?
You may have missed that down here our Republic is One Nation Under God…

Well I plan on keeping it to use as a throw away if I ever get in trouble overseas so Canada gets blamed 🧠
I hear that may not be the only time someone's used a Canadian passport as one of ... convenience :)

Canadian Citizens married to US Citizens don't need to "apply" for a Green Card -- you just need to cross the border -- stay for 30 days, and then IF you decided you both like it down here more, and you apply for change of status as someone married to an American (which will issue you a Green Card automatically).

The key is you can't enter planning that. My wife and I where married in Boston, but we went to Aruba for our honeymoon, upon return my passport got stamped with some code that wouldn't let me stay the usual 180 days that Canadians could in the US, and I had to be out inside 30 (so I couldn't simply change my status).
Once you have a green card you can't leave until you get "Leave to Travel" - and the Green Card can get revoked if you aren't really living in the US.

The process isn't that bad, the only hiccup for me was during naturalization when the investigator who wasn't used to dealing with former Military members accidentally didn't fill out a drop down menu for one of the questions I checked yes to -- and so it left all the subcategories checked -- so I had a second interview - and was really surprised when they asked me about torturing people (that second investigator was used to working with US Mil personnel naturalizing - and realized when I was like WTF dude, I didn't torture anyone, nor did I check that box - and so he figured out the error fairly easily - and corrected the entries - and apologized and welcomed me to America - and I then had my swearing in etc

It was weird as they where collecting all the passports from folks who where naturalizing and I was like hey you left mine, and they said, yeah your also Canadian, you can keep being one if you want.
That was an unsuccessful attempt at humour . Proving once again that humour really is subjective.
It just semed to me the way the Court was going . One might very well qualify at conception for citizenship

That was an unsuccessful attempt at humour . Proving once again that humour really is subjective.
It just semed to me the way the Court was going . One might very well qualify at conception for citizenship
I got your point. I was just adding personal information to the what, why, where.

I’m a big fan of the current court - morally I agree with the overturning of Roe v. Wade, but more importantly to me from a rights aspect I think that the current court is going to ensure that both the States and Federal Government don’t get to the point of asinine Canadian type gun laws.

That wasnt added to the pledge of allegiance until 54

1st ammendment and Tripoli predate that by a few years.
Let’s look at the First Amendment shall we. ;)

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Coach is free to lead a prayer, in the same way that any of the players of free to lead a prayer for a different faith.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Coach is free to lead a prayer, in the same way that any of the players of free to lead a prayer for a different faith.
Yup. Teenagers are super free and to act against the desires of their authority figures. No pressure there at all.

Yup. Teenagers are super free and to act against the desires of their authority figures. No pressure there at all.
The point is that isn’t not the Government’s role to stop that.
They are free to ignore it - or so their own thing.

The point is that isn’t not the Government’s role to stop that.
They are free to ignore it - or so their own thing.

It is when the authority figure is a government employee. Can argue the right balance between the establishment and free excercise clause all day, but between this SC and the noises some state legislatures are making, its pretty damn clear that separation of church and state in the south is becoming even more of a pretense.

There's almost 100 years between our first 'Constitution' (1867, BNA) and the one in the US (1776). The US had already fought it's own civil war by the time Canada was celebrating our first birthday. Then in 1982, we produced our first made in Canada, for Canadians, Constitution incl the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Canadians lost out. It was at this point that Trudeau pere removed our Property Rights at the behest of the NDP. Pictures of the US framers, show well dressed gentlemen in earnest discussion. Our talks in 1982 were an all out donnybrook brawl. (Not a great comparison but it'll suit for this narrative.)

The US Constitution has served them well, with minor amendments, for 246 years. Their 'Great Experiment' continues. Our own Constitution? 40 years old and not working. If Canada and our own, made in Canada Constitution, survives the next 206 years, like the US, you might have an argument.

We've got some pretty good myths about ourselves. Rocks, glass houses, that sort of thing.
Ah yes. Portrait artists. Always a true capture of the moments.

It is my understanding (per attached) that some of the provinces didn't support entrenchment of property rights, and the NDP's support was conditional on the entrenchment of other rights rights.

We will have to leave it at you think the US Constitution works fabulously; ours not at all, and I think otherwise.

Congress shall make no law
respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You're not trying to say that the right to freedom of speech in US (or any other right for that matter) is absolute.

Back