• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

One of the defenses for the media is "Look, they said something bad about Trudeau!". This is a weak defense. A 70/30 split is still far more damaging to one side and they know that. The Duffy affair or the $16 orange juice scandal are good examples of the drum being beaten endlessly on lesser offences than what we've experienced in the last 7 years.

This is psyops on a domestic political level. And we wouldn't know the half of it if it weren't for the internet... Bill C-11 enters the chat
I suspect those resonated more with Canadians than most the current scandals unfortunately. We are small minded and vapid people. When the big picture scandals are brought up most Canadians can’t understand or simply don’t care about those. 16$ glasses of Orange Juice they do relate to though.

10000$ Being misspent relates more to Canadians than billions as a billion is a hard number to actually visualize let alone comprehend. We can buy many things at the 10k point.

I suspect those resonated more with Canadians than most the current scandals unfortunately. We are small minded and vapid people. When the big picture scandals are brought up most Canadians can’t understand or simply don’t care about those. 16$ glasses of Orange Juice they do relate to though.

10000$ Being misspent relates more to Canadians than billions as a billion is a hard number to actually visualize let alone comprehend. We can buy many things at the 10k point.

I think you're bang on. My wife talks about this WRT teaching. Her school board tries to use relative scenarios when teaching things like math.

I once had CO who took over month to sign a W/O CF152, when I asked if there was a problem he stated that its taking song because he was writing off the value of the average Canadians salary and he felt that deserved some thought. I was very impressed, as most just rubber stamp and send back so long as the dollar value did not exceed their DOA.

I think you're bang on. My wife talks about this WRT teaching. Her school board tries to use relative scenarios when teaching things like math.
Yup - people "get" a $16 glass of juice ore than they get nebulous amounts of $ for stuff they don't even see.
I once had CO who took over month to sign a W/O CF152, when I asked if there was a problem he stated that its taking song because he was writing off the value of the average Canadians salary and he felt that deserved some thought. I was very impressed, as most just rubber stamp and send back so long as the dollar value did not exceed their DOA.
Good on him! Mind you, how one takes that also depends on the judgment & ethics of the person doing the review, right? A keener taking a long time is considered very differently than a weiner taking a long time.

Meanwhile, another tea leaf reading of (at least potential) doom?
From the piece:
... The Liberals started to look and feel really burnt out and exhausted this week. Of course they’re burnt out and exhausted. It’s been a hellish two years for everyone, and they were dealing with the Trump circus for years before that. They haven’t usually looked exhausted, though. Even when they have no doubt been running on adrenaline, existential terror, caffeine and digestive bile, they kept running. That's not sustainable forever, though, and sooner or later, a government slips into the terminal phase of democratic politics. We've all seen that before, and we recognize the signs when we see it.

(list of various recent Team Red stumbles/screw ups)

We do not make the mistake of underestimating Justin Trudeau‘s political abilities. The federal Conservatives have never been able to look beyond their personal dislike of the man and recognize his formidable talent. Justin Trudeau is a very, very good politician. The Liberal Party of Canada is very, very good at politics. Never count these guys out. We aren't, and won't. They'll fight every election ferociously.

Again, it’s very possible they all just need a break. If the government can drag its carcass across the finish line and make it to the summer, everyone will go home for a bit, see their spouses and children, rest up, hit the barbecue circuit for a while, and come back in the fall recharged. The media will soon shrink to a complete skeleton staff as the dozen or so remaining journalists in this country all try to rotate off onto holidays of their own. So the scrutiny the Liberals are under will tank epically in the next week or so. This will give them time. Maybe that's all they need. It’s possible.

But it’s also possible that the whiff of death will grow into a ranker stench. Again, we make no predictions. Life is way too weird these days to invest much of our credibility, such as it is, in doing that. But we can’t help but wonder as we watch the news of late whether, two or three years from now, if the Liberals are defeated, some of the reporters writing their analyses and columnists writing the political obituaries won’t reflect back on June 2022 as being the moment that things tipped over, and the long, slow glide into the side of the mountain began ...

Yup - people "get" a $16 glass of juice ore than they get nebulous amounts of $ for stuff they don't even see.

Good on him! Mind you, how one takes that also depends on the judgment & ethics of the person doing the review, right? A keener taking a long time is considered very differently than a weiner taking a long time.

Meanwhile, another tea leaf reading of (at least potential) doom?
From the piece:

I truly think JT and the Liberals success in the last elections has more to do fear mongering by the media, complacent Canadians and a lack of other options than any skillful politicking by the aforementioned.

I truly think JT and the Liberals success in the last elections has more to do fear mongering by the media, complacent Canadians and a lack of other options than any skillful politicking by the aforementioned.
Agreed, even if we likely disagree on the percentage of responsibility for each element.

And being able to take advantage of playing the environmental/situational cards they're dealt could be seen as a sign of at least some political acumen.

Agreed, even if we likely disagree on the percentage of responsibility for each element.

And being able to take advantage of playing the environmental/situational cards they're dealt could be seen as a sign of at least some political acumen.

To be clear I think JT and the Libs have achieved some success. Thinking assisted death legislation and Marijuana legalization for example. This two were good moves that needed to be done.

I think we saw the level of their political acumen with the last election, which they expected to be a walk away majority.

I don't think they have any idea how much people think they are just the best worst option. Narcissism.

And sadly not all that uncommon in any of the political parties as of late.
With a bit of a different stew for each party, with different proportions of various ingredients: "what kinda leader ya got?", "how are you playing the cards you're dealt?", "what are you committing to do?", "how well you listening?", etc.

To be clear I think JT and the Libs have achieved some success. Thinking assisted death legislation and Marijuana legalization for example. This two were good moves that needed to be done.

I think we saw the level of their political acumen with the last election, which they expected to be a walk away majority.

I don't think they have any idea how much people think they are just the best worst option. Narcissism.
I believe the current Liberal crew really do have a "vision" for society. They are working a plan, a strategy and most other things be damned. I think the Trudeau Government has implemented more societal change in this country than in the last 40 years. They have been very focused. They have ignored issues that in the past that would have been address by different governments both Lib and Con. They are pushing forward where past governments would have changed directions IE Harper first term or Martin or Chretien with the budget deficit. Yes COVID had them do different things but the main focus never changed.

I have admired that steadfast keeping the eye on the endgame at all times of this government.

I believe the current Liberal crew really do have a "vision" for society. They are working a plan, a strategy and most other things be damned. I think the Trudeau Government has implemented more societal change in this country than in the last 40 years. They have been very focused. They have ignored issues that in the past that would have been address by different governments both Lib and Con. They are pushing forward where past governments would have changed directions IE Harper first term or Martin or Chretien with the budget deficit. Yes COVID had them do different things but the main focus never changed.

I have admired that steadfast keeping the eye on the endgame at all times of this government.

There is no doubt they have a vision.

The problem is when that vision takes priority over current events and realities that don't fit into said vision. COVID-19, Ukraine, Stagflation, etc. are all solid reasons to pivot from the party line; even temporarily, to offset some of the strain felt by the voting populace. The problem I have with this government is its inability, or lack of desire, to read the ground and act accordingly.

The problem is when that vision takes priority over current events and realities that don't fit into said vision. COVID-19, Ukraine, Stagflation, etc. are all solid reasons to pivot from the party line; even temporarily, to offset some of the strain felt by the voting populace. The problem I have with this government is its inability, or lack of desire, to read the ground and act accordingly.
You are 100% right. That is my point. They will not move from the plan, the vision if they do it's very grudgingly. All I was saying is their stick to it ness is the most I have ever seen.

I wish they would move. Open the oil taps and bring down the price a little. etc.

Liberals (and NDP) are fighting a losing war. Internet media have obliterated the control that the establishment classes used to have in a way that hasn't been experienced since the printing press was widely introduced. Their response is to try to stuff the sh!t back in the horse by finding creative ways to control information and by talking up crises which can be used as pretexts for top-down impositions. In the long run, I doubt the people seeking increased surveillance and tighter regulation will prevail. It is all but impossible to lie, obfuscate, or omit inconvenient context and evidence in anything that is publicly available. I'm surprised that anyone even tries any more.

Liberals (and NDP) are fighting a losing war. Internet media have obliterated the control that the establishment classes used to have in a way that hasn't been experienced since the printing press was widely introduced. Their response is to try to stuff the sh!t back in the horse by finding creative ways to control information and by talking up crises which can be used as pretexts for top-down impositions. In the long run, I doubt the people seeking increased surveillance and tighter regulation will prevail. It is all but impossible to lie, obfuscate, or omit inconvenient context and evidence in anything that is publicly available. I'm surprised that anyone even tries any more.
I think they are winning. They have the media bought in this county and soon will have the internet censorship locked up. The large internet firms are in their camp. Its just some small independent ones not towing the line.

Long term they have this in the bag. The schools have long been teaching their world view. The universities are are on side. Its just a matter of time.

They're losing. They haven't really bought the media, notwithstanding lamentations about the effects of selective public funding. Internet censorship is unlikely to reach down very far (past the first layer of sewerage on the chattering social apps). The kind of indoctrination that happens in educational institutions isn't persistent; people continue learning and adapting their views according to the lives they live. Don't mistake loud for widespread.

The left-leaners like to spend; they're overspending; in their efforts to satisfy new calls for spending they are ignoring existing highly-valued institutions (eg. public health insurance) and the resulting dissatisfaction. Complexity of everything is generally increasing. The more the effort to try to impose central control, the sooner the loss of effective control.

Historically the threshold for unmanageable discontent, let alone actual revolution, increases with prosperity - the more people have, the more reluctant they are to risk it. But there is always a threshold. Our governments are predisposed to not maintain large standing security forces. All they can do is try to co-opt the security institutions and disarm the people. But, the breaking point will occur at merely unmanageable discontent, which is expressed during elections. Violent revolution I would expect only if someone were deranged enough to attempt to discontinue elections.

... They have the media bought in this county ...
I keep hearing that, but I also see a lot of far-from-fans of the current regime share things like these as proof of how bad things are ....
Which is it, then? If they're bought or seen to be bought, both opponents and supporters of the current regime may have to question why they share stuff from bought sources whenever it supports their case, and bashes the same sources when they disagree.

I keep hearing that, but I also see a lot of far-from-fans of the current regime share things like these as proof of how bad things are ....

Which is it, then? If they're bought or seen to be bought, both opponents and supporters of the current regime may have to question why they share stuff from bought sources whenever it supports their case, and bashes the same sources when they disagree.
Now only after the Emergency Act was used and it is so egregious they can not do anything but say that. At the time is was silence or full support. They are in CYA mode.

So my spiderscene says their maybe knives out inside the Liberal party. The PM and team has upset some in the party. The old guard is pissed but they have been pushed out. But Trudeau has a habit of throwing others under the bus to save himself. You can only do that for so long.

• Insightful
Reactions: QV
Now only after the Emergency Act was used and it is so egregious they can not do anything but say that. At the time is was silence or full support. They are in CYA mode.
Well, some of those editorial board opinion pieces I shared date back to February of this year, so we'll have to agree to disagree on how long the media's been poking Ottawa on that one.
So my spiderscene says their maybe knives out inside the Liberal party.
Big time - this from another bought-and-paid-for outlet, the Toronto Star, written by someone who's traditionally been no fan of Team Blue ...
... Since the prime minister’s reelection last fall, the Liberal minority government has increasingly been running on empty. Instead of giving Trudeau’s team a second wind, the striking of a co-operation agreement with the NDP last March seems to have given it a license for inertia.

As the House prepares to rise for the summer, the main takeaway from the first half of 2022 on Parliament Hill is that of a Liberal government flying blind on autopilot ...
Tick, tick, tick ...🍿

Back