• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

Another option the Sea Hercules!

If that that option is too specialized, we could just roll a palletizing mission kit on-board.

And see we can just use the C-130J we already have. Again Success!

They would just have to share with the rest of the Forces. Monday SAR, Tuesday Army moves, Wednesday Navy, Thursday RCAF missions, Friday MPA, weekends repair.
Pick up the British castoff C130J's and have them converted by Pal. Win-win with a Canadian company developing it and another excellent British purchase, like the subs

Another option the Sea Hercules!

If that that option is too specialized, we could just roll a palletizing mission kit on-board.

And see we can just use the C-130J we already have. Again Success!

They would just have to share with the rest of the Forces. Monday SAR, Tuesday Army moves, Wednesday Navy, Thursday RCAF missions, Friday MPA, weekends repair.
Throw some floats on it for fishing on Sundays.
MAC-C-130.jpg

With the budget the CAF is likely to get for it all they will be able to afford is slightly less clapped out P-3's that the U.S. has retired. Then they will spend as much as a P-8 costs to make them into an Aurora

Pick up the British castoff C130J's and have them converted by Pal. Win-win with a Canadian company developing it and another excellent British purchase, like the subs
They’re block 6 (No ADS-B or RNAV approaches) and would need to be upgraded to block 8 so it’s not as inexpensive as one would think.
Upon reflection I guess that’s right up our alley.

I’m all about go big or go home ;)

I just looked at the Norwegian AOR and Canada’s, and extrapolated it, plus I assume Canada won’t buy 40, but a significant number under what is proposed, so I figure start with 40 and aim for at least 25 ;)

Without putting up bar graphs and stuff, I think our minimum needs are 20 to account for maint cycle, 2 operational Sqns (405,407), 1 training Sqn (404) and 1 Force Development Sqn (415).

Each would be assigned a number aircraft.

I’ve watched the crapshoot “priority” can create in a small fleet. I don’t think it works well medium to long term.

If we did get 20, we will need to look hard at technician numbers.

With the budget the CAF is likely to get for it all they will be able to afford is slightly less clapped out P-3's that the U.S. has retired. Then they will spend as much as a P-8 costs to make them into an Aurora

I’m going to bet against you on this one…

They’re block 6 (No ADS-B or RNAV approaches) and would need to be upgraded to block 8 so it’s not as inexpensive as one would think.
Upon reflection I guess that’s right up our alley.
Wow. Heck, we were pushing Block 8.0/8.1 for ACP-T back in 2014-2015. Leaving aircraft at 6.0 seems almost willfully negligent.

I believe you where probably told a number close to 24 by us…

Well we had 33 Argus’s at one point and they could all do 24+hr flights…

Honestly I just want a plane I don’t have to carry my own piss off of on deployments…

Oh. And get MAD. There’s no reason to not have MAD.

That's almost double the number of CP-140s we have now.
Which was woefully inadequate and contributed to the issues you face now. Canada has constantly replaced AirFrames since the 50’s at a less than 1:1 rate, and if allowed to continue the entire RCAF will be sitting at a desk reminiscing about what it was like when their grandparents flew…

Frankly if I was king, I’d toss on some E-8’s to the P-8 order, as that fits the bill for a bunch of other missing CAF NORAD requirements too.

Back