• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Top Gun 2

Well, just got back from watching the movie and while there were a couple slow moments, I really enjoyed it. The flying scenes were amazing and having the stars actually in the F-18 backseats while they were being performed makes the movie.

Now (Warning Spoilers!!) there were a couple things that popped into my mind:

• Nice to see Jennifer Connelly again, can't remember the last time I've seen her on the screen;
  • When Maverick explains the mission to his pilots, the first thing that popped into my mind was the movie 633 Squadron; from 1964;
  • A major plot point, is in my opinion, a steal from Star Wars: A New Hope. George Lucas could sue :D!;
  • Remember in the trailers where they show the F-14 Tomcat flying? The way that scene is incorporated into the movie is something else!; and,
  • My final point, being former intelligence I can't help it, the SA-3 Goa is a radar guided system, so popping flares won't help you!

So nick picking aside, I really enjoyed the movie, and it may have just been my imagination I think I know how the sequel works out.

Just in case anyone wants to watch a little more 'nap of the earthing' ... and strafing ;)

The Real Life 'Top Gun' | Fighter pilot: Operation Red Flag | Spark​

Experience final training for pilots and their aircrews before being sent into actual combat. Follow pilot, John Stratton, as he makes his way through this extraordinary event held in the desert of Nevada.

Special effects? Horse hockey, I tells ya - easily done a lot cheaper ... :)

Experience final training for pilots and their aircrews before being sent into actual combat. Follow pilot, John Stratton, as he makes his way through this extraordinary event held in the desert of Nevada.

None of that was real, Top Gun had more realism.

The big thing I noticed was first Maverick's jacket leather bomber had the Taiwanese flag plus the Japanese flag on it. The original did. The trailers two years they did not. It was a big comment point. I wonder if they reshot it or put it back digitally. Or was the other way around.

Anyways it's amazing what the two years have changed things.

Tencent announced they would put money in (or more money)

And they could not get the movie past the Chinese censors. The Hollywood love affair with China may be coming to an end.

I suspect most of the movie had been written before the 35 was fully deployed, so…

I mean it was delayed what 3-4 years.
Yes but the real reason was the F35 has no two seater. The navy wanted to show off the wiz bang new stuff too. But the producers (Tom) wanted to show real flight scenes. They used as much practical effects as possible. They kept the CGI to a minimum. That was really Tom Cruise in a F18F landing and taking off from a carrier. If you watch closely you never see his hands on controls. It's was very strick he could not touch. And oh but he wanted to. It was Tom flying his P51 at the end.

It should have been the Super Tomcat.

View attachment 71183
Or a Veritech!

hollywood might GIF

Dude, I'm not that old.

Macross was still a thing in the 90s, when I was 10.
No, that’s me, huffing at you young whipper-snappers and your new-fangled cartoonery. Macross started life in ‘85…just a few years after Starblazers!

Dude, I'm not that old.

Macross was still a thing in the 90s, when I was 10.
Don't bite @Good2Golf . They're trying to Macross vs Robotech you!

Wonder if it will have the same effect on recruiting for the US military as the first movie did?
When I worked in CFRG it seemed every Monday after Spike TV reran Top Gun on Saturday/Sunday we had a least a few people asking about being a pilot.

I am prob in the minority that likes the anthem more so than Highway to the Danger Zone. I'll say that the first 2 mins are prob the best in the original movie, and what I loved the most in Maverick.

It's the prep for the cat launch that gets me. You know it's happening, but the build up...chef's kiss

It's the prep for the cat launch that gets me. You know it's happening, but the build up...chef's kiss
I haven't seen the new one but any documentary has a good size piece on the cat shots. Awesome how you can toss an aircraft off the front of a ship and have it fly.

Back