• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

Not a good look for sure. I won’t speculate on some of the stuff in there- I feel like we all can guess some of the motivations of the senior officers. I have no time for politicians in uniform.

Unactionable officer safety bulletins go out lots. Where it’s like “we can’t prove this BUT if you stop this car be aware”

That said- public safety warrants, unless it’s changed very recently, are not difficult to get if you do have all this information and in my experience they aren’t used enough.

I think a prudent question in this is to pile all the information and point at it and say- what proactively was done to corroborate this?

I’ve been in meetings where everyone mentions tips that aren’t useful- but they aren’t pursuing the info to make it useful.

That news article actually has a lot of very big issues in it for how short it is. The relationship of municipal forces and the RCMP etc

Not a good look for sure. I won’t speculate on some of the stuff in there- I feel like we all can guess some of the motivations of the senior officers. I have no time for politicians in uniform.

Unactionable officer safety bulletins go out lots. Where it’s like “we can’t prove this BUT if you stop this car be aware”

That said- public safety warrants, unless it’s changed very recently, are not difficult to get if you do have all this information and in my experience they aren’t used enough.

I think a prudent question in this is to pile all the information and point at it and say- what proactively was done to corroborate this?

I’ve been in meetings where everyone mentions tips that aren’t useful- but they aren’t pursuing the info to make it useful.

That news article actually has a lot of ver
y big issues in it for how short it is. The relationship of municipal forces and the RCMP etc

I will continue to tow the same line. I do think there is conspiracy and corruption here but I think it's in protection careers (maybe legacies now too), and the good name of the service.

How do we get these police forces to work together ?

Last edited:
Potentially more bad mojo for the RCMP

Ouch!

I get pissed at people who whine about getting an Amber Alert from the other end of the province. Do they not realize how far someone can travel in a few hours? Do they not care that they could become they eyes and ears of the police and be the one who spots and reports the subject vehicle which leads to a successful conclusion?

The Alert Ready system works the same way, but in this case could've informed Wortman's potential targets of his actions as well as keeping his targets of opportunity out of harm's way. As un-Canadian as our Liberal leaders may think this to be, it could've allowed those in the area of his rampage to arm themselves against him.

Ouch!

I get pissed at people who whine about getting an Amber Alert from the other end of the province. Do they not realize how far someone can travel in a few hours? Do they not care that they could become they eyes and ears of the police and be the one who spots and reports the subject vehicle which leads to a successful conclusion?

The Alert Ready system works the same way, but in this case could've informed Wortman's potential targets of his actions as well as keeping his targets of opportunity out of harm's way. As un-Canadian as our Liberal leaders may think this to be, it could've allowed those in the area of his rampage to arm themselves against him

And yet, the EMO Dept, which solely held the keys to the Alert system and knew something was going on did not issue an Alert.

And yet, the EMO Dept, which solely held the keys to the Alert system and knew something was going on did not issue an Alert.

They might not have had the authority to act on their own but, having said that, I don't know the NS system.

It sounds like a lot 'spin doctoring' to cover for bad/non command decisions by trying to get municipal chiefs to get onside with official lines, and not just by the RCMP. I have a friend who is a municipal police commissioner for a PD in a contract province and he describes the relationship between the two agencies to be "strained".

The issue of poor and/or cryptic notetaking concerns me. I can understand how incident reports get purged by policy. I don't agree with it, but understand it, particularly when reports were physical and not simply ones and zeros. I have been on the working end of investigating historic unsolved homicides where seemingly benign complaints and incidents (which these certainly were not) proved to be crucial. But clear, concise, detailed first-hand notetaking by coppers is vital, both to document evidence but cover your butt; then again I was accused of writing novels.

They might not have had the authority to act on their own but, having said that, I don't know the NS system.

Not sure if it has changed since April 2020 but at that time, the only Dept in NS that could send alerts over the NS prov system was the EMO Dept; no one else had access. People were all over the RCMP for not sending one, not knowing and in some cases, not caring that only the Prov had access and authority.

McNeil, being the POS Liberal he was, was happy to stay silent and let law enforcement take the hit publicly. He directed all questions about the subj to the RCMP. Real trashy human being.

Edited to add; it was changed after April 2020.

After the NS issue I went looking at two provinces processes- it’s not easy anywhere apparently. Obviously- these things require sober eyes- but it is designed in many layers in both provinces I checked.

I think many things need to be cracked open- and could be with the right recommendations. But I’m not confident they have good identification of the level they need to look at

Most of what’s in there, especially the team in Nova Scotia fighting up hill, under staffed, has been known for years. I’m not surprised the senior officers didn’t stop in 🤐

I’ve known a few guys over the years out in Atlantic and they are amazing people, doing a thankless job that spits them out the other side.

I live in NS and the trust in the RCMP is quite frankly very low. Good at highway patrol but other things.... . I have customers in the Truro area and there is definitely a sense that folks in Rural N.S are on their own, fend for yourself and arm accordingly.

The CYA emanating from the Former Liberal Government and the Dartmouth RCMP Bunker, I mean HQ is palpable. McNeil keep in mind comes from a Police Family with at least 5 cops among the 13 Kids. His Justice minister spent 23 years in the RCMP before trying politics.

I can’t agree with you on the Hwy patrol. There’s people flying on all the 100 series highways, I drive 2 hours straight and never see a single cruiser. The highways are becoming free for alls.

There is a call for volunteers at an RCMP event next month. Interestingly, not enough people are available to meet all the volunteer positions.
Individuals say they support the reason for the ceremony, but not the RCMP.

There is a call for volunteers at an RCMP event next month. Interestingly, not enough people are available to meet all the volunteer positions.
Individuals say they support the reason for the ceremony, but not the RCMP.

I will be surprised if they have much of presence in the province in a decade they've pretty much spent their capital here. And that sucks for the hard working rank and file I know.

I will be surprised if they have much of presence in the province in a decade they've pretty much spent their capital here. And that sucks for the hard working rank and file I know.
If the RCMP are replaced by another police service, it’ll basically just end up full of patched-over mounties anyway, from senior leadership on down. But NS will have the advantage of having watched Surrey actually go through with such a transition, and other provinces, regions or municipalities at least doing an estimate on one.

If the RCMP are replaced by another police service, it’ll basically just end up full of patched-over mounties anyway, from senior leadership on down. But NS will have the advantage of having watched Surrey actually go through with such a transition, and other provinces, regions or municipalities at least doing an estimate on one.

I haven't followed it closely but I understand Surrey is behind schedule and over budget. In the case of NS, ya, where else do you come up with approx. 850 coppers who aren't RCMP. It would be interesting to see if the federal government would still cover 30% of the cost if the province went on its own. It's not like it is a wealthy province and setting up a police service essentially from scratch is wildly expensive.

Let talk in a decade. Who knows?

But the temperature sucks right now for the RCMP and it's not getting any better. Lastly the process has already begun as various communities are now reviewing their use of the RCMP.

Maybe this will all blow over and the people will forget about the failures of the RCMP during those 2 days.

Let talk in a decade. Who knows?

But the temperature sucks right now for the RCMP and it's not getting any better. Lastly the process has already begun as various communities are now reviewing their use of the RCMP.

Maybe this will all blow over and the people will forget about the failures of the RCMP during those 2 days.

Can we say “failures of some of the RCMP”?

That just seems fair to those who did their best that day, including Cst Morrison and Cst Stevenson (RIP).

Back