• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surface Warfare Officer badge

Does wearing the surface warfare officer badge communicate anything that cannot be inferred between an individual’s rank and the sea service badge over the opposite pocket?
Yes. It communicates that you have a BWK, done an ORO tour or been a CO of a ship (I wonder if PRes Stone Frigates count?).

All hard sea trade officers have the same cap badge and SSE as NWO's do, so just looking for a SSE colour or cap badge doesn't really tell you much different as you could be an Engineer who's sailed a lot (or CFR'd etc...).

I think it is the badge that International Military Students who attend courses at the US Naval War College receive and may wear while attending that institution.

THIS trivial bullshit is part of the needed culture change. "Following fucking orders" for GAFO ranks.

Maybe I should slap on my VP International or Lockheed pins to my DEU. "just because"...

It seems that it's not only the US Navy War College that presents a pin to graduating foreign officers for wear on the uniform.

Army War College Commandant Maj. Gen. David Hill recognizes international fellows for their year at the Army War College with the USAWC pin that can be worn on their uniforms if applicable. The event was held at Quarters One, the commandant's residence, May 10, 2022.

Per NAVORD 5027-2:

x0F2Zi9.jpg

FxOaIeA.jpg

Is it authorized for wear per the dress manual, or is this another GOFO freestyle "I can do what I want" moment?
No, only authorized for anyone in a Navy DEU, so not even sure how that works. Probably like the change of rank where they couldn't be bothered to update anything officially.

So if someone component transfers out of a Navy trade, they can't wear it anymore, so it's like some kind of weird environmental pin. Which is interesting when they work for a non-RCN organization (like VCDS, CJOC, etc etc). I guess people just pretend it's okay?

It's like when NAVORDS come out with specific direction, and then they are surprised when people working at ADM(Mat) don't automatically follow it for things like PERs etc.

Alternately, can someone who transfers out of the Navy who has earned the pin still wear it if they work in RCN lines?

At some point I can see someone just not wearing it, on account of it being ugly AF and poorly executed, and someone getting brought to heel for trying to take them to task.

Oh good, I don't have to wear it. I'm not an NWO. I guess that also makes all my previous arguments to it being a qualification badge BS. Mmmm humble pie.

So it’s not a real MOSID qualification insignia then right, since you can’t wear it out of a hard RCN org position, even though you would still be a NWO? Yet an NWO would keep wearing their submariner’s dolphins or ship’s diver helmet even on a purple staff tour, say to CANMILPERSGENCOM?

1653437831113.gif

Entitlement says NWO. As long as you don't change trades you are entitled to wear it. Soon as you change trades that entitlement ends. Doesn't matter what organization you work for. (I'm talking about the NWO Badge).

Entitlement says NWO. As long as you don't change trades you are entitled to wear it. Soon as you change trades that entitlement ends. Doesn't matter what organization you work for. (I'm talking about the NWO Badge).
That's what I meant, just wasn't clear. Still makes absolutely zero sense.

If someone earns a clearance diver badge, jump wings etc they can still wear them regardless of what trade/element they end up in. This is just standards RCN stupidity, good thing our ships are in great shape and fully crewed with no issues to be sorted out.

Even though this didn't take much actual work (virtually none, based on the quality of the pin) still pretty much any time they spent on this could have been better spent doing anything else. If they were going to half ass a pin for a core trade progression milestone they should have started with the various NCM ones, not the NWOs. I don't think anyone wants any, but really just seems like an NWO dick swinging item for the wet/dry lists that have started. Which is redundant really, and if someone needs a golden moustache for people to know they were a CO, probably weren't a good one (but not bad enough to make the paper).

I thought as long as you wore a Naval DEU, you can wear it even if you change trades?

So for example, former NWO BWK becomes Naval Int. They can still wear the bronze moustache.

If someone earns a clearance diver badge, jump wings etc they can still wear them regardless of what trade/element they end up in. This is just standards RCN stupidity, good thing our ships are in great shape and fully crewed with no issues to be sorted out.
Yep. There are a lot of former NWOs in other elements. I'm surprised they didn't allow them to wear the smaller moustache.

No, only authorized for anyone in a Navy DEU, so not even sure how that works. Probably like the change of rank where they couldn't be bothered to update anything officially.

So if someone component transfers out of a Navy trade, they can't wear it anymore, so it's like some kind of weird environmental pin. Which is interesting when they work for a non-RCN organization (like VCDS, CJOC, etc etc). I guess people just pretend it's okay?

It's like when NAVORDS come out with specific direction, and then they are surprised when people working at ADM(Mat) don't automatically follow it for things like PERs etc.

Alternately, can someone who transfers out of the Navy who has earned the pin still wear it if they work in RCN lines?

At some point I can see someone just not wearing it, on account of it being ugly AF and poorly executed, and someone getting brought to heel for trying to take them to task.

Wait. Are you referring to the Surface Warfare Badge or that college kid badge the to FOs were wearing (that isn’t in the dress regs at all)?

I think some people are talking about the Surface Warfare badge and others the blue college kid badge.

Wait. Are you referring to the Surface Warfare Badge or that college kid badge the to FOs were wearing (that isn’t in the dress regs at all)?

I think some people are talking about the Surface Warfare badge and others the blue college kid badge.
I think they're referring to the Moustache.

But yeah, there was a split where people were referring to different things.

Back