• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Aviators needing homes sent to Habitat for Humanity.

Some PAO who thought he could relax after X days without misconduct in the news just flipped his desk.

monty python GIF

Some PAO who thought he could relax after X days without misconduct in the news just flipped his desk.
If I ever meet Dan LeBoutillier, I'll buy him a drink. That guy has had a bad couple of years.

It was just a matter of time. Wait and see how much Hansard discussion it gets.
That came out maybe a week or so ago on CAF Reddit. I'm surprised the article wasn't out earlier.

It was just a matter of time. Wait and see how much Hansard discussion it gets.
Depends - how much does it affect votes? Probably not enough.

The government line will be some word soup where it:

1)the government takes credit for compensation. “One of the best packages in the world”, while simultaneously:
2) shifts the responsibility to treasury board,
3) and then states that the issue will be examined

It will then be next week and they’ll talk about something else

If I ever meet Dan LeBoutillier, I'll buy him a drink. That guy has had a bad couple of years.

That came out maybe a week or so ago on CAF Reddit. I'm surprised the article wasn't out earlier.

Depends - how much does it affect votes? Probably not enough.
Actually, Dan loves his job (masochist that he is) and is very good at it. He will accept the drink though.

I am surprised that it took so long as well. Probably journos waiting for more reliable sources than Reddit.

As to affecting votes, I agree with your assessment. ATST, opposition will jump on anything ( and rightly so). It will depend on how much media attention follows. Likely will be treated as a tempest in a teapot by gov’t, but it is a cataclysmic raging storm for NCM’s.

As to affecting votes, I agree with your assessment. ATST, opposition will jump on anything ( and rightly so). It will depend on how much media attention follows. Likely will be treated as a tempest in a teapot by gov’t, but it is a cataclysmic raging storm for NCM’s.

And troops vote with their feet, I keep hearing stories of senior leadership being tone deaf on the issues effecting the Jr ranks. The CAF, and by extension the GoC, is the employer. It is their responsibility to justify and convince us to stay in uniform. Arguments like leaders telling us we are well paid and have it good in uniform simply deflects their responsibility.

Yes treasurey board has some responsibility in this mess, but unless pressure and political will is placed on them, it won't change.

And troops vote with their feet, I keep hearing stories of senior leadership being tone deaf on the issues effecting the Jr ranks. The CAF, and by extension the GoC, is the employer. It is their responsibility to justify and convince us to stay in uniform. Arguments like leaders telling us we are well paid and have it good in uniform simply deflects their responsibility.

Yes treasurey board has some responsibility in this mess, but unless pressure and political will is placed on them, it won't change.

Agreed. What the troops are dying to see is a GO/FO stand up and be publically vocal about this stuff, call the gov and the TBS to task. Self sacrifice is endearing of the unwashed masses. Right now the perception is that our GO/FOs are more interested pushing governmental agendas than representing their subordinates.

I know I bring him up alot but to me he is to be emulated. After Landymore went down swinging to the government of the day, the dockyard was lined with well wishers and he was sent off with the best fare well that could be given. He had earned the eternal admiration of the Naval service.

I had the great honor of being present for his burial at sea while in TOR. The man was a hero, at sea and in politics, and we need more like this.

I know I bring him up alot but to me he is to be emulated. After Landymore went down swinging to the government of the day, the dockyard was lined with well wishers and he was sent off with the best fare well that could be given. He had earned the eternal admiration of the Naval service.
He did. But the problem is that nothing changed because of it. A lot of folks saw that and probably thought to themselves "what did that accomplish?"

Agreed. What the troops are dying to see is a GO/FO stand up and be publically vocal about this stuff, call the gov and the TBS to task. Self sacrifice is endearing of the unwashed masses. Right now the perception is that our GO/FOs are more interested pushing governmental agendas than representing their subordinates.

I had the great honor of being present for his burial at sea while in TOR. The man was a hero, at sea and in politics, and we need more like this.
Careerist aspirations are going to trump doing the right thing always. There is always someone waiting in the wings to take a GOFOs job from them, such is the culture of our Officer Corps.

Careerist aspirations are going to trump doing the right thing always. There is always someone waiting in the wings to take a GOFOs job from them, such is the culture of our Officer Corps.
Add to that the complaints of some civilians who continually whine about some of the allowances the troops are entitled to and the ridiculous "can't be an advantage to the military member" thinking that permeates the upper echelons.

He did. But the problem is that nothing changed because of it. A lot of folks saw that and probably thought to themselves "what did that accomplish?"

I would argue he left a defiant stance in the Navy that continued to fight for its customs and traditions and has been somewhat successful in regaining some and retaining some.

Acknowledging that we are not a perfect organization.

Also, sometime it's not about victory its about the fight.

Add to that the complaints of some civilians who continually whine about some of the allowances the troops are entitled to and the ridiculous "can't be an advantage to the military member" thinking that permeates the upper echelons.
Not even in the upper echelons, but any member of a PS union.

I remember getting whines and complaints from a few of our PS workers that we were constantly excluding them from the Morale and Welfare events that we were holding during working hours. They felt aggrieved that they weren't able to attend because we weren't changing their place of employment for the day so they could take part.
My Sig O was very blunt with them and stated "If I have to call the military folks in after hours when something breaks because I can't pay your overtime, you can definitely sit out on a beer call for 2 hours on a Friday without complaint."

The "I can't get mine, so why should they get theirs?" attitude has become a permanent thorn in our sides; which is why I loathe how much the line between DND and CAF has been blurred over the past 20 years.

The "I can't get mine, so why should they get theirs?" attitude has become a permanent thorn in our sides; which is why I loathe how much the line between DND and CAF has been blurred over the past 20 years.
Not just DND. I had to remind soldiers that just because you're Infantry that does not give you the right to abuse support soldiers and complain that "they had it nice in camp while I busted my butt".

If you want a jammy go in camp then VOT to a support trade.

Minister of National Defense says "the government has taken several steps to help address affordability concerns for military members and their families.

The government put in place several measures to give military members more flexibility in their work, including remote work options, Anand said.

She added that the government increased the rates of pay for military members in 2021."

She also mentions "We have more work to do in this area," she said. "We will continue to support military members and their families."

Minister of National Defense says "the government has taken several steps to help address affordability concerns for military members and their families.
Apparently not if folks are still having issues finding affordable housing across the country
The government put in place several measures to give military members more flexibility in their work, including remote work options, Anand said.
Works great for cubicle dwellers at NDHQ, terrible for those on the bottom rung who can't take their LAV, Aircraft, or HMCS home with them to work.

She added that the government increased the rates of pay for military members in 2021."
*provided an previously agreed upon cost of living increase that did not keep up with the rate of inflation...
She also mentions "We have more work to do in this area," she said.
Big understatement, but at least there is some acknowledgement of the issue

"We will continue to support military members and their families."
Track record seems to dictate otherwise, but the proof is in the pudding

She also mentions "We have more work to do in this area," she said. "We will continue to support military members and their families."

@Booter called it.

I do love that they are taking credit right now for backpay that was for 2017 to 2021, and as mentioned above wasn't even keeping up with inflation then.

Works great for cubicle dwellers at NDHQ, terrible for those on the bottom rung who can't take their LAV, Aircraft, or HMCS home with them to work.
It's a nicety for a select few of us, probably doesn't do much for most trades or most privates and corporals.
[Trying to deal with people working from home can be a whole new thread worth of frustrations]

*provided an previously agreed upon cost of living increase that did not keep up with the rate of inflation...
I thought that was a particularly clever bit of creativity.

Back