• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Certificates?

Gryphon13

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m currently a reservist with the rank of Pte(B), and curious on how to get a medical certificate to not shave? Ie. what are the procedure and requirements to obtain a medical certificate? I know after you’re trade qualified you’re allowed to grow a beard, however those grooming standards wouldn’t solve the problem for me. In the same thought process, is it possible to get a medical certificate/exemption for other dress code related things such as chewing gum? I’ve been medically prescribed in the past to chew in situations that didn’t allow me to chew gum from my Doctor and curious if that is something I could also get in the CAF?

Gryphon13

If there is a medical unit nearby, then make an appointment with an MO or PA and talk to them about sick notes. I honestly can't think of many reasons I'd chit someone to chew gum in uniform - even ex-smokers on Nicorette I'd tell to park and chew so they don't wander around looking/sounding like a cow chewing cud or chew only out of sight/mind. There are some skin conditions that legit need excused shaving or intermittent shaving - if you have one shouldn't be a big deal.

$0.02

If there is a medical unit nearby, then make an appointment with an MO or PA and talk to them about sick notes. I honestly can't think of many reasons I'd chit someone to chew gum in uniform - even ex-smokers on Nicorette I'd tell to park and chew so they don't wander around looking/sounding like a cow chewing cud or chew only out of sight/mind. There are some skin conditions that legit need excused shaving or intermittent shaving - if you have one shouldn't be a big deal.

$0.02
About what I figured regarding chewing gum, which is why I broached the subject here first. I assume MO is medical officer, and PA is a physician assistant? We talking about military side or could I get this "note" from my civilian doctor? I assumed they would have to fill out specific DND paperwork like they did for my physical during the recruitment process?

About what I figured regarding chewing gum, which is why I broached the subject here first. I assume MO is medical officer, and PA is a physician assistant? We talking about military side or could I get this "note" from my civilian doctor? I assumed they would have to fill out specific DND paperwork like they did for my physical during the recruitment process?
Yes - you'll need a note from a military health provider on a Medical Employment Limitations form. MO= Medical Officer/Doctor, PA=Pysician Assistant

On a side note, if the gum chewing condition is something that was not disclosed at recruiting you will probably run into problems, If it is a legit medical condition.

Back