• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

I am not tracking that brigade having had a particular military-tribe problem, and its constituent units were generally homogeneous from a regimental perspective.

Seen. I misunderstood. I didn't know that the 27th in Germany had "tribal" problems. Nor the Bosnian BG.
So "tribalism" is that endemic?

I’m a big fan of ATV type vehicles for Light Infantry especially in Support Weapon roles.
View it as a Transport Room as it where (for those familiar with the Arms Room concept) a tool in the toolbox to be used when applicable.

Mules and other pack animals need to be considered too. The USMC, USASOC and even BSA (Big Stupid Army) down here have sections of Mtn Ops courses dedicated to that aspect. Because you can’t always pick your AO.

The Mujahideen man packed a D-30 Howitzer up a mountain to fight the Russians - where there is a need, there is a way…
Shades of Dien Bien Phu

Seen. I misunderstood. I didn't know that the 27th in Germany had "tribal" problems. Nor the Bosnian BG.
So "tribalism" is that endemic?

Yes, like other parts of the world, everywhere in Europe is essentially 'tribal' to the point of (in some cases) being on the brink of inter-tribal warfare.

For example in Belfast, we used 'Tribal Maps' - that's the actual name of the the type of map - alot:

1651166320528.png

Yes, like other parts of the world, everywhere in Europe is essentially 'tribal' to the point of (in some cases) being on the brink of inter-tribal warfare.

For example in Belfast, we used 'Tribal Maps' - that's the actual name of the the type of map - alot:

View attachment 70410
So the green bits are national parks then?

Here's a possible structure taking into account some previous comments and observations/lessons from the Ukraine conflict.

• Infantry Battalions reduced from 9 to 6 to bring up peacetime manning in the remaining Battalions and free up PYs for schools, etc.
  • 1 and 5 Brigade would each have 2 x LAV Battalions while 2 Brigade would have 2 x Light Battalions.
  • If the opportunity exists to procure M1 Abrams tanks from US stocks at a deeply reduced cost, RCD would co-locate in Edmonton with LdSH and both would be equipped as Tank Regiments. If not, then our existing Leopards would be concentrated in Edmonton with LdSH and RCD would remain in Petawawa as an Armoured Recce Regiment.
  • Reserve Regiments re-structured as Company/Squadron-sized units with a mandate to be able to supply a Platoon/Troop sized element of augmentees/replacements for Reg Force units. This is basically an expansion of the existing STAR Mission Task system but focusing on support to the Combat Arms elements.
  • Having Reserve units directly integrated into the existing Reg Force structure eliminates the Reserve Brigades and their HQ overhead and recognizes the reality that Reserve units do not have either the required equipment or the ability to mobilize sufficient numbers per unit to generate new Brigades at this time.
  • The only "new" capacity in this structure would be 3 x Reserve HIMARS Batteries under 4 RCHA in the Combat Support Brigade.
  • A review of how our Armoured Recce Regiments/Squadrons are equipped and organized as well as introduction of additional new equipment capabilities already being planned (or suggested) such as ATGMs (dismounted and vehicle mounted), mortars (ditto), Self-Propelled Artillery for the LAV Brigades, etc. are assumed to move forward.
  • A new AD capability was NOT included in this structure as the requirement has not yet been defined (SHORAD, MRAD, mobile and/or dismounted, etc.) so the required structure is not yet clear. Additional PYs will likely be required to stand up this new capability but hopefully some of that can come from the significant HQ reductions from both the Reg Force and Reserves.
Force 2025 - Total Force - 2022.05.01.png

Always enjoy seeing a napkin force.

Always enjoy looking at a model that makes the RegF responsible for ResF units in some form of pairing and that eliminates all the div and unnecessary ResF headquarters and puts more RegF staff in the ResF units.

You know me, I'm always pushing for a structure that uses the 15-20,000 ResF personnel to create more deployable brigades, especially CS and CSS ones.

I'm not so sure we need to throw three battalions under the bus to flesh out the others. Battalions now are established at roughly 590 apiece. I'm not sure of the actual 'war' establishment but I think its around 750 or so with a full CS company. That means one RegF battalion should yield enough PYs to bulk out 4 battalions. Remember that much of the shortfall right now is undermanning which ought to be fixed through recruiting and not redistribution.

For the record, the batteries belonging to the RegF artillery are as follows:
1 RCHA - A, B, C, Z;
2 RCHA - D, E, F, Y;
5 RALC - X, Q, R, V;
4 (GS) RCA - 127, 128, 129

Dormant RCHA regiments are:
3 RCHA - G, H, J, U;
4 RCHA - K, L, M

W Bty is at the RCAS (and in the Sixties belonged to 4 RCHA). RCHA batteries are generally lettered; RCA batteries on the other hand are numbered.

As an aside, which program do you use for making your charts. I use RFFlow which has quite a few functionalities but doesn't come out quite as neat as yours and doesn't provide the diagonal multi-colour.

🍻

A different take on Force 3035

Mission Command and the Entrepreneurial Spirit in the Ranks

The Ukrainian military has also defied expectations. In the case of the Ukrainian armed forces, they’ve performed well beyond what was anticipated

The secret to Ukraine’s success rests first of all on its mindset backed up by dynamic military strategies that have exploited the weaknesses of a powerful, overconfident adversary.

the Ukrainians came into the war with a drastically greater will to fight in defense of their homes and way of life

Ukrainian units are not panicking and evaporating under intense pressure, instead holding out for weeks in besieged cities like Chernihiv and Mariupol. And when facing setbacks, Kyiv’s troops are aggressively and rapidly counterattacking, often checking or reversing Russian gains.

bridged long-standing divisions between Ukrainian and Russian speakers within Ukraine, as well as between political rivals, creating a unified, coordinated force for confronting the invaders.

By 2021, Ukraine’s military had years of combat experience and were demonstrably stronger thanks to new weapons, military aid and tactics,

Ukraine’s military has arguably managed to blend its inherited Soviet-era legacies — abundant artillery and armored vehicles, greater reliance on ground-based air defenses than fighter aircraft — with selected Western advantages such as the practice of empowering noncommissioned and junior officers on the ground to take initiative, and using intelligence to stage precision attacks. These have killed seven Russian generals, according to Ukraine, and devastated a Russian helicopter base.

Notably, stealthy teams of Ukrainian infantry have ably used thousands of portable long-distance anti-tank weapons supplied by the West, as well as manufactured by Ukraine itself, to disable hundreds or more Russian armored vehicles and supply trucks in ambushes and hit-and-run raids. There’s often an instinctive desire to use heavy forces to fight heavy forces, when sometimes well-armed soldiers on foot can do the job better because they’re less likely to be spotted. Ukraine showed foresight in focusing on these types of weapons requests from allies.

Above all, Ukrainian forces have fought asymmetrically: Rather than seeking to stop Russia’s superior might on the border, the Ukrainian leadership has used Ukraine’s sheer geographic expanse as a strength in itself, recognizing that major cities can serve as deadly tar pits for attacking forces. As a result, it’s yielded indefensible open ground while stoutly holding on to densely urbanized areas. Russian troops, therefore, are left with stretched-out and vulnerable lines of supply, with large forces dedicated to surrounding cities they can’t capture to protect these supply lines. To help offset the mismatch further, Ukraine has been highly nimble at distributing imagery of battlefield successes and humanitarian distress to rally Western support.

Ukrainian Feminism

1651457753329.png

Ukraine's New Military Branch

On January 1, Ukraine passed a law making its Territorial Defense Force a separate military branch.

Previously, the force — conceived in the early 2000s and first put together in 2014 — answered to the ground forces command and consisted of retired military members divided into units resembling volunteer battalions. Their job was simply to defend the rear.

But now, with the expectation that Russia may be looking to infiltrate cities mentally and physically in parallel with its massive troop build-up, Ukraine wanted to codify its civilian force.

The goal is to form a core of 10,000 military professionals by March, Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov said at a recent briefing. Initially, that core was expected to lead 130,000 civilian reservists. But on Friday, as the threat of war appeared increasingly imminent, Ukraine’s commander in chief said the force was now seeking 1.5 to 2 million citizens willing to defend their homes, families and country.

The quickly amassed reservists will be spread out over 25 brigades — one for each of Ukraine’s regions, plus one for the capital city, Kyiv. Those brigades will be split into 150 battalions, buttressed by additional volunteer defenders.

A different take on Force 3035

Mission Command and the Entrepreneurial Spirit in the Ranks
Honestly that article is pretty garbage.
It utterly ignores the fact that NATO's all seeing Eye's (E-8, P-8, GlobalHawk, GeoSpacial Assets etc) are keeping the Ukrainian military abreast of Russian movements, and provided cutting edge equipment and training.

Ukrainian Feminism

View attachment 70475

Ukraine's New Military Branch
Utterly irrelevant to an Expeditionary Military though...

Here's a possible structure taking into account some previous comments and observations/lessons from the Ukraine conflict.

• Infantry Battalions reduced from 9 to 6 to bring up peacetime manning in the remaining Battalions and free up PYs for schools, etc.
  • 1 and 5 Brigade would each have 2 x LAV Battalions while 2 Brigade would have 2 x Light Battalions.
  • If the opportunity exists to procure M1 Abrams tanks from US stocks at a deeply reduced cost, RCD would co-locate in Edmonton with LdSH and both would be equipped as Tank Regiments. If not, then our existing Leopards would be concentrated in Edmonton with LdSH and RCD would remain in Petawawa as an Armoured Recce Regiment.
  • Reserve Regiments re-structured as Company/Squadron-sized units with a mandate to be able to supply a Platoon/Troop sized element of augmentees/replacements for Reg Force units. This is basically an expansion of the existing STAR Mission Task system but focusing on support to the Combat Arms elements.
  • Having Reserve units directly integrated into the existing Reg Force structure eliminates the Reserve Brigades and their HQ overhead and recognizes the reality that Reserve units do not have either the required equipment or the ability to mobilize sufficient numbers per unit to generate new Brigades at this time.
  • The only "new" capacity in this structure would be 3 x Reserve HIMARS Batteries under 4 RCHA in the Combat Support Brigade.
  • A review of how our Armoured Recce Regiments/Squadrons are equipped and organized as well as introduction of additional new equipment capabilities already being planned (or suggested) such as ATGMs (dismounted and vehicle mounted), mortars (ditto), Self-Propelled Artillery for the LAV Brigades, etc. are assumed to move forward.
  • A new AD capability was NOT included in this structure as the requirement has not yet been defined (SHORAD, MRAD, mobile and/or dismounted, etc.) so the required structure is not yet clear. Additional PYs will likely be required to stand up this new capability but hopefully some of that can come from the significant HQ reductions from both the Reg Force and Reserves.
View attachment 70474
FWIW - I would opt for 3 VP and 3 Vandoo to be retained as 10/90 units - or 30/70 if the PY exist.
Put 2 RCR in Trenton - due to the airhead.

Push the Res "Brigade Recce" units to 6 CCSSB - honestly I wouldn't have any high priority capabilities in any Res units - as you won't have them available on a short notice deployment - which really is why you have a standing army anyway.

If it wasn't for the capbadge mafia - I would strike one of the Medium Brigades to a 30/70 entity - and have 1 Med and 1 Light Bde at 100% manning, at the very least one Battle Group from Light and Medium forces must be 100% reg that can be on IRU.

FWIW - I would opt for 3 VP and 3 Vandoo to be retained as 10/90 units - or 30/70 if the PY exist.

Push the Res "Brigade Recce" units to 6 CCSSB - honestly I wouldn't have any high priority capabilities in any Res units - as you won't have them available on a short notice deployment - which really is why you have a standing army anyway.

If it wasn't for the capbadge mafia - I would strike one of the Medium Brigades to a 30/70 entity - and have 1 Med and 1 Light Bde at 100% manning, at the very least one Battle Group from Light and Medium forces must be 100% reg that can be on IRU.

Or just mash together the Infantry and Cavalry regiments to create our own 'Panzer Grenadiers'.

And watch heads explode all across the country.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I've become dead set against 10/90 but could see a 30/70 and have part of that 30% be a full para company. With an odd para platoon or two in the 70 bunch.

I'd leave 3 RCR in Pet - after all CSOR is there and TF2's just down the road. There ought to be synergy in that.

Fully agree that there should be no high priority (or as I call it - quick reaction) capability in any ResF unit. I'm trying to figure out what the role of 'brigade recce' really is when SSE has no plan for the deployment of a real brigade. Like artillery it seems to be a lost foundling that gets attached to the odd battlegroup in some nebulous beefed up recce platoon role.

Before I contemplate what ResF armoured regiments should be I'd prefer to see what the overall plan for armour should be.

We seem to be making a habit of economy of effort deployments these days (like Latvia) where we have a battlegroup headquarters, a rifle company and various CS and CSS elements with the bulk of the echelon being allied elements.

If we want to stay with that then we could go a long way with 30/70 entities where the 30% is a 100% RegF bn hq, one 100% RegF rifle company and various RegF CS and CSS elements with the remainder being ResF. If one has several 30/70 brigades to take on those recurring peacetime deployment roles (bulked up with their own ResF volunteers) then one would need only one (maybe 2) 100% RegF formation for ad hoc IRU contingency missions.

Again, splitting existing RegF resources (both in the brigades, Div and CBGHs and RSS) one should easily achieve:

1 X 100/0 RegF light bde (0 LAV coys)

1 X 100/0 RegF med bde (9 LAV cos)

1 x 30/70 RegF/ResF heavy bde (4 type 44 tank sqns, 3 LAV coys)

2 x 30/70 RegF/ResF med bde (3 LAV Coy each)

2-3 CCSBs

🍻

Always enjoy seeing a napkin force.

Always enjoy looking at a model that makes the RegF responsible for ResF units in some form of pairing and that eliminates all the div and unnecessary ResF headquarters and puts more RegF staff in the ResF units.

You know me, I'm always pushing for a structure that uses the 15-20,000 ResF personnel to create more deployable brigades, especially CS and CSS ones.

I'm not so sure we need to throw three battalions under the bus to flesh out the others. Battalions now are established at roughly 590 apiece. I'm not sure of the actual 'war' establishment but I think its around 750 or so with a full CS company. That means one RegF battalion should yield enough PYs to bulk out 4 battalions. Remember that much of the shortfall right now is undermanning which ought to be fixed through recruiting and not redistribution.
Not sure if it's changed, but Force 2013 gives a Mech Battalion Establishment of 833 All Ranks and a Generation Strength of 593 All Ranks (240 difference) so dropping one Battalion per Brigade will allow you to bring the other 2 Battalions up to Establishment strength plus an additional 113 troops per Brigade for instructors at schools, to cover postings outside Battalion positions, personnel on courses, personnel on medical categories, etc.

Light Battalions on the other hand have an Establishment of 834 and a Generation of only 560, so dropping the 3rd Battalion will allow you to bring the other two up to full establishment but with only 12 extra positions to spare. So unless more infantry positions are recruited realistically I think we only have enough positions to fully fill 6 Battalions.
For the record, the batteries belonging to the RegF artillery are as follows:
1 RCHA - A, B, C, Z;
2 RCHA - D, E, F, Y;
5 RALC - X, Q, R, V;
4 (GS) RCA - 127, 128, 129

Dormant RCHA regiments are:
3 RCHA - G, H, J, U;
4 RCHA - K, L, M

W Bty is at the RCAS (and in the Sixties belonged to 4 RCHA). RCHA batteries are generally lettered; RCA batteries on the other hand are numbered.
Thanks for the clarification.
As an aside, which program do you use for making your charts. I use RFFlow which has quite a few functionalities but doesn't come out quite as neat as yours and doesn't provide the diagonal multi-colour.

🍻
LOL. I use trusty old MS Paint. Saved the original Canadian Army ORBAT from Wikipedia as a image file and just move stuff around and make modifications manually. I'm sure there are much more efficient ways but it works for me. :p

Before I contemplate what ResF armoured regiments should be I'd prefer to see what the overall plan for armour should be.
I previously expressed my scepticism about the willingness of the US to "gift" us a bunch of M1s, but if it were to be an option I think that Ukraine has shown us that if we ever end up in a real fight against the Russians we're going to need more tanks than what we have currently.

Given the opportunity I'd make all three Reg Force Armoured Regiments Tank Regiments with 1 x Reg Force Tank Squadron, 2 x Reserve Tank Squadrons and 1 x Reg Force Recce Squadrons. That would give the ability to generate a "Canada-Heavy" Brigade with a composite Tank Regiment of Regulars to deploy in case of a conflict (in a dream world using a 4th Regiment worth of tanks pre-positioned in Europe).

Not sure if it's changed, but Force 2013 gives a Mech Battalion Establishment of 833 All Ranks and a Generation Strength of 593 All Ranks (240 difference) so dropping one Battalion per Brigade will allow you to bring the other 2 Battalions up to Establishment strength plus an additional 113 troops per Brigade for instructors at schools, to cover postings outside Battalion positions, personnel on courses, personnel on medical categories, etc.

Light Battalions on the other hand have an Establishment of 834 and a Generation of only 560, so dropping the 3rd Battalion will allow you to bring the other two up to full establishment but with only 12 extra positions to spare. So unless more infantry positions are recruited realistically I think we only have enough positions to fully fill 6 Battalions.
You have different (and probably better) source documents than I.
LOL. I use trusty old MS Paint. Saved the original Canadian Army ORBAT from Wikipedia as a image file and just move stuff around and make modifications manually. I'm sure there are much more efficient ways but it works for me. :p
Just played around with that unsuccessfully. Anyway ... you do good work.

I previously expressed my scepticism about the willingness of the US to "gift" us a bunch of M1s, but if it were to be an option I think that Ukraine has shown us that if we ever end up in a real fight against the Russians we're going to need more tanks than what we have currently.
I doubt a gift to us as well. We have too much money and are viewed as freeloaders.

OTOH a $1.00 lease if we prepositioned one brigade in Europe under a US div and exercised flyover regularly and agreed to commit it in case of an attack on NATO and we also agreed to built up other capabilities such as for NORAD with our own money ...

🍻

I'm not sure of the actual 'war' establishment but I think its around 750
There is no “war establishment.” There once were war time only positions in the establishment, but those were all removed about a decade ago.

I'd leave 3 RCR in Pet - after all CSOR is there and TF2's just down the road. There ought to be synergy in that.
If the belief is that the role of light battalions is to work with SOF, then do light battalions belong in the army?

There is no “war establishment.” There once were war time only positions in the establishment, but those were all removed about a decade ago.

If the belief is that the role of light battalions is to work with SOF, then do light battalions belong in the army?
LIB’s have multiple roles. Support of SOF is just one.

Back