• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Four RMC cadets killed in vehicle accident on campus

Absolutely tragic. Condolences to their comrades and families for sure 😞

Somehow it's always worse when its a young person at the beginning of a promising career. My deepest condolences to all who knew them.

RIP - but 2am incident - spider sense tingling
We can speculate all we want, but truth be told, that area is pitch black at the best of times and not fenced off. Anything from misadventure to vehicular incident here.

Regardless, it's tragic and my heart goes out to their families.

I have never been either RMC cadet or staff, but I have run around the peninsula a few times for PT. It seems it would be pretty easy to drive off the road that goes around the point if you happened to be tiered, distracted, or dealing with bad weather. That would put you straight into the river.

I don’t know why you would drive out there (there appeared to be better routes to get just about anywhere) except that there were a handful of parking spaces hidden behind the fort.

I have never been either RMC cadet or staff, but I have run around the peninsula a few times for PT. It seems it would be pretty easy to drive off the road that goes around the point if you happened to be tiered, distracted, or dealing with bad weather. That would put you straight into the river.

I don’t know why you would drive out there (there appeared to be better routes to get just about anywhere) except that there were a handful of parking spaces hidden behind the fort.
Apparently that area is commonly used as overflow parking.

We can speculate all we want, but truth be told, that area is pitch black at the best of times and not fenced off. Anything from misadventure to vehicular incident here.

Regardless, it's tragic and my heart goes out to their families.
I have heard that there have been a few RMC Cadets who have drowned there a ways back.

I don't know if there is anyone here who knows if that's true or not.

It's where 4th year Cadets are allowed to park their cars.

The water around the entire Peninsula rapidly drops off (which is why it was a Navy base at one point) and there are some deceptive currents due to it being the mouth of the Rideau Canal and the St Lawrence Seaway.

If they rolled their vehicle and went in the drink, it's very likely the car ended up completely submerged immediately and they would have been screwed.

A number of other RMC Cadets have drowned there, mostly due to young people doing young people things.

The article shows the truck being hoisted out of the water. It was upside down, which I suppose could have happened during the recovery, but I suspect not.

The identities of the recently departed have been revealed:

Speaking at a press conference Friday evening, Josée Kurtz, commodore of Royal Military College, said all four cadets were fourth-year students and were set to graduate with their university degrees and commission as officers in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

Kurtz identified the deceased as officer-cadets Jack Hogarth, Andrei Honciu, Broden Murphy and Andrés Salek.

According to Kurtz, Hogarth was completing a degree in military and strategic studies and was going to be an armoured officer in the CAF.

Kurtz said Honciu was completing a degree in business administration and was going to be a logistics officer in the Canadian army.

Murphy was also completing a degree in business administration and was going to be an aerospace environment controller in the Royal Canadian Air Force, Kurtz said.

According to Kurtz, Salek was completing a degree in military and strategic studies and was going to be an armoured officer in the CAF.

Quick question, if it was 4 UNB, Dal, SFU, etc., students who died in a single vehicle incident at 2 am, would anyone be explaining it away rather than assuming the obvious?

Quick question, if it was 4 UNB, Dal, SFU, etc., students who died in a single vehicle incident at 2 am, would anyone be explaining it away rather than assuming the obvious?

Quick answer. Does it matter right now? And do people here have nothing better to do than ruminate and speculate on the circumstances of the deaths of four young Canadians before they are even buried?

I dont think trying to .....never mind, Infanteer beat me to it.

Godspeed kids, Godspeed

You know when someone in a room says something a bit too crass, a bit too loud, and everyone stops and stares at them? I think this is a version of that moment.

It's just as easy to assume the driver was doing the right thing by being a DD, and its an unfortunate accident in a poorly lit and dangerous area. Speculating or assuming misconduct with no evidence other than the time of the incident is pretty tone deaf.

Back