• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Widespread systemic racism in Canadian military ‘repulsing’ new recruits: report

In contrast if you look at an organization like Vancity - a bank - they have always done a fantastic job at community outreach and integration to the point where their staff accurately reflect the clients they service:
…from their own figures, I’d say “working towards” vice ‘accurately reflect.’ Positive, but what’s the final state aim point? Most recent long census numbers?

Becoming an inclusive and anti-racist organization
As part of our commitment to represent the communities we serve, we’ve set a goal to have 2.5% of Vancity’s workforce that are from Indigenous communities. In 2020, 78.2% of Vancity employees participated in our optional yearly diversity survey. Among those who participated, 37.2% identify as a member of a visible minority and 1.4% identify as an Indigenous person. We’re actively working with community partners to support recruitment efforts to meet our employee diversity goal.

…from their own figures, I’d say “working towards” vice ‘accurately reflect.’ Positive, but what’s the final state aim point? Most recent long census numbers?

Becoming an inclusive and anti-racist organization

We've done alot of work with Vancity staff and I would say that, even though they're still 'working towards' some things, they're still about a million times more reflective of the community they serve than is the CAF right now.

Writ large, we seem to be an alien intrusion upon the daily life of most Canadians, so we shouldn't be too surprised when we get trounced in public from time to time or just ignored.
And yet, how much of this is an "own goal" and how much is due to having a miniscule population distributed on the southern edge of a huge land mass. As to the latter, do the Australians have similar issues?

And yet, how much of this is an "own goal" and how much is due to having a miniscule population distributed on the southern edge of a huge land mass. As to the latter, do the Australians have similar issues?

We have had dozens of units, and thousands of troops, based in all our communities - large and small - for centuries. And yet few seem to know anything about us...

Based on the results of this (2014) survey we have no hope of achieving any of the targets set for the CAF..... same goes for alot of jobs in the Natural Resources sector (Forestry, Mining, Agriculture etc) I would say:

PTSD and danger among deterrents to visible minorities joining military​

Report for National Defence looks at why Canadian Forces can't meet diversity hiring targets​

Among the key findings:

• Many youth wanted to pursue careers in health care, entrepreneurship or business.
  • Drawbacks include danger, following orders you disagree with and being away from home.
  • The impression that the military is for people with no other options and is not prestigious is greater than in the general public.
  • A civilian university education is seen as a more direct pathway to success.
  • Familiarity with CAF is low compared to the general public and participants in the target groups are less likely to know a current or former Forces member.
  • A strong sense by parents and communities that it's an unsafe occupation.

This is fantastic news and evidently means more work for me in the coming years!

My pitch: "Will work in most crappy of physical and environmental conditions for the chance at upward mobility, large paycheque and the occasional adrenaline rush!"

I never listened to my parents for more than a passing second anyways. 😁

This. I cannot count how many mess dinners, Change of HCols, and "Community Events" that are almost incestuous in nature, due to it being a bunch of people already with ties to the CAF participating.

I made a suggestion once that appointing the Dean of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Queen's University as our HCol would be such a boon to my unit, as we would be able to leverage that relationship for mutual benefit.

Instead, we appoint a former CO who just retired as a BGen / DG Pointless Endeavors who still wants to play army.

We do it to ourselves.
When I retired our HCol was a female Phd holder with the U of M. Our Hon LCol was a gentlemen from Egypt who owned a flourishing garment business.

Even crayon eaters can be diverse so there is no excuse for anyone else.

We've done alot of work with Vancity staff and I would say that, even though they're still 'working towards' some things, they're still about a million times more reflective of the community they serve than is the CAF right now.
No doubt, but Vancity also doesn’t have an extraprovincial, extranational roll. Honest question…how should the CAF’s demographics be targeted to ensure it meets its mission while evolving to the proper demographic? Again, I will ask what is the demographic composition that the CAF should be working to attain? Nowhere does the Government actually quantify the desired demographic distribution.

No doubt, but Vancity also doesn’t have an extraprovincial, extranational roll. Honest question…how should the CAF’s demographics be targeted to ensure it meets its mission while evolving to the proper demographic? Again, I will ask what is the demographic composition that the CAF should be working to attain? Nowhere does the Government actually quantify the desired demographic distribution.
The desired demographic I believe is the best candidate for the job. No serial killers please.

When I retired our HCol was a female Phd holder with the U of M. Our Hon LCol was a gentlemen from Egypt who owned a flourishing garment business.

Even crayon eaters can be diverse so there is no excuse for anyone else.
Agreed. As much as people like to state we are against the self licking ice cream cone... we seem to be fully invested in it.

The desired demographic I believe is the best candidate for the job. No serial killers please.
That’s a qualitative description, OS…we’re looking for a quantitative aim point for the breakdown. The Government’s position is that any member of the demographic can be acceptable, they just have to be identified and attracted to the CAF.

A few years ago the Mayor of Winnipeg stated maybe it was time for the Royal Winnipeg Rifles statue to be moved to a less visible location. He only mentioned it once. And the statue is still there.
It's fortunate that only one level of government has the ability to mistreat us.

That's exactly what I had in mind and waited for someone else to reply with that to make sure I wasn't drinking crazy juice! Thank you!

It's so insanely contorted and contradictory I can't believe it was actually published.

Never happen. The French will ensure that for Catholicism. As long as Quebec holds as many seats in parliament.

I have spoken to a few people who don't wish to swear allegiance to the Queen. And that keeps them from enrolling. Admittedly it may be a microcosm of my circle lol

I have spoken to a few people who don't wish to swear allegiance to the Queen. And that keeps them from enrolling. Admittedly it may be a microcosm of my circle lol
That is quite frankly insane - as the Queen is still the titular Head of State for Canada - and the head of the monarchy.

That is quite frankly insane - as the Queen is still the titular Head of State for Canada - and the head of the monarchy.

Yup no one is debating that.

The fact that support for the monarchy continues to fall. And with a changing demographics it's a ball and chain were going to have to deal with, eventually.

Back