• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

Hah jokes on you my career's already dead in the water
Most people put some effort into presenting themselves how they want to be seen and perceived, which means they are trying to influence judgement, which means they don't really want others to be non-judgemental.
The people I'm trying to influence with my personal appearance choices aren't the ones at work.

The people I'm trying to influence with my personal appearance choices aren't the ones at work.

I understand; most people appear one way in the workplace and another socially. It's still incumbent upon people in the workplace (CAF) to not interpret appearance socially, but not all will succeed.

If you really want to push the envelope, develop a quirk - a brace of old pistols, an umbrella, a decorative sword, a small dog that goes everywhere with you, mix-and-match headgear.
You've met them, too?

Who are you trying to influence with your personal appearance?
Well, primarily myself. I make choices about my personal appearance because they make me feel good about myself.

2ndarily my spouse, and then friends & family.

Carry one of these?

Last edited:
I find it ironic(is that the right word?) that people get personally offended and crushed morally, over time it seems, on being critiqued on their appearance. Meanwhile forgetting they voluntarily joined an organization that can legally put you in harms way or even death. People have different personal priorities I guess…

I find it ironic(is that the right word?) that people get personally offended and crushed morally, over time it seems, on being critiqued on their appearance. Meanwhile forgetting they voluntarily joined an organization that can legally put you in harms way or even death. People have different personal priorities I guess…
Except being sent in harms way account for less than 1% of the time spent in the CAF for a minority of people. All the other time, those things add up in some people’s daily lives, and being treated like a kid is definitely one of those irritants.

Except being sent in harms way account for less than 1% of the time spent in the CAF for a minority of people. All the other time, those things add up in some people’s daily lives, and being treated like a kid is definitely one of those irritants.
I think people overemphasize the big things, and their impact on morale/retention, while also downplaying the little things that wear at people daily.

Stupid dress regulations are unlikely to be the reason someone states for quitting, but the daily grind of the stupidity of some of our rules wears on some people every day, and needlessly so.

The same goes for uniforms. People won't state in a release interview "I'm quitting because the uniforms were crap, and I could never get ones that fit properly", but putting on a worn out, or ill fitting uniform every day for years wears people down.

I think people overemphasize the big things, and their impact on morale/retention, while also downplaying the little things that wear at people daily.

Stupid dress regulations are unlikely to be the reason someone states for quitting, but the daily grind of the stupidity of some of our rules wears on some people every day, and needlessly so.

The same goes for uniforms. People won't state in a release interview "I'm quitting because the uniforms were crap, and I could never get ones that fit properly", but putting on a worn out, or ill fitting uniform every day for years wears people down.
I’m quitting because I can’t figure out the glove/toque thing and it’s not even written down somewhere so I can’t look it up.

I’m quitting because I can’t figure out the glove/toque thing and it’s not even written down somewhere so I can’t look it up.
Oh... there is a flowchart. I can't find my copy right now, but it exists somewhere. :ROFLMAO:

*Multiple DLN mandatory courses enter the chat, holding hands and smirking

If it’s not written down, it’s also likely not signed off by the appropriate authority so…

Mind GIF

Sure. They exist. That doesn't mean I need to respect them, not does it mean that I consider it reasonable to be taking these non-objective responses into account when drafting policy.
[/QUOTE]

Which, I suppose is your choice. Not respecting a rule of your employer has potential consequences. If it can't trust you to follow the little ones, don't be surprised when they don't trust you to follow the big ones.
Because it's not that important, or at least not to me. I'm sure there's some people who avoided joining entirely because of this rule, and some people who got out sooner than they would have otherwise because of it.

Honestly, the thing that I find is that being in an organization that focuses so much on what I frankly consider to be petty unimportant BS tends to grate over time. My dissatisfaction with the status quo has steadily crept up over time. The more time I've got in the more annoying it is that we waste soooo much time and effort on enforcing rules that don't actually do anything to help. That are, in fact, overall harmful because all they do is hurt the morale of people who would otherwise make different aesthetic choices.

Our job is the controlled application of violence, so why do we spend so much time focusing on being ready for dog and pony shows?
Having a creeping dissatisfaction, frustration, ennui with one's career or employer certainly isn't restricted to the CAF. If you are hanging in just for the pension points, it's your ulcer.

I have a hard time believing anyone joining the military didn't expect that parades, appearance and deportment wasn't a part of the job. At least in the military there is a process for transgression or pushing of envelopes. Try telling your team leader at Macdonald's that you are wearing jeans and a t-shirt because you're just not into shades of grey and ball hats, and see if you make it to shift change. Everybody has 'stupid' rules.

Back