• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I never read the new budget. With 10ish grand of now-illegal firearms can someone tell me how many dollars are allocated to the Liberal gun buy back program in this new budget?

Ah yes, the Qualified Canadian Journalism License.

Panel of 5 people in secret decides who gets this media license, what could go wrong with that? The Liberals do like their secrets.

Ah yes, the Qualified Canadian Journalism License.

Panel of 5 people in secret decides who gets this media license, what could go wrong with that? The Liberals do like their secrets.

I don't know if you're employing satire or sarcasm in your comment, or if you're being serious. Specifically, your use of "License". What is this license you speak of? (That's sarcasm. Or is it satire? I suppose it would be ironic if it was neither.) The actual term in the Income Tax Act is "qualified Canadian journalism organization" (not license).

The efficacy (or necessity) of the government's measures to support Canadian journalism is open to debate, but the use of one echo chamber from south of the border to support the claims of a homegrown echo chamber somewhat . . . (hell, totally) . . . undermines the argument. There are probably a few among the 165 (+/- ?) publications that have already sought and been determined by CRA to meet the criteria of the Income Tax Act and who regularly publish comment critical of the government generally and the PM personally.

Rebel News can bleat on about censorship or bias and enlist Fox News in its campaign, but during a quick look at the "guidance on the income tax measures to support journalism" the following stood out to me. Honestly, does that news organization in question actually follow such practices?

2.36. Original news content should be based on journalistic processes and principles, which include:

a. a commitment to researching and verifying information before publication;
b. a consistent practice of providing rebuttal opportunity for those being criticized and presenting alternate perspectives, interpretations and analyses;
c. an honest representation of sources; and
d. a practice of correcting errors,

I may be a bit prejudiced in my opinion of Rebel News, so in fairness (and with a slight taste of bile resulting from visiting their site) I've provided a link to the letter from CRA denying their application and their application for judicial review filed with the Federal Court of Canada which they included in their inevitable piece about why they are "suing Trudeau" (who isn't actually named in the suit).

And in an example of semi-related irony. This screen grab from an FP page (you'll find a number of FP's pubs on the list of those eligible for the tax credit) in which they publish an opinion criticizing the government's measures, but in the upper right corner (I've circled it in yellow) their link to the receipt for those who wish to claim the tax credit.

FP tax support of media IRONY.jpg

Attachments

• QCJO_CRA_Rejection_letter_-_February_14__2022-compressed.pdf
    826.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Notice_of_Application__filed_April_7_2022_4884-9788-4699.pdf
    208.5 KB · Views: 2
I don't know if you're employing satire or sarcasm in your comment, or if you're being serious. Specifically, your use of "License". What is this license you speak of? (That's sarcasm. Or is it satire? I suppose it would be ironic if it was neither.) The actual term in the Income Tax Act is "qualified Canadian journalism organization" (not license).
Happy to explain what I meant.

The Liberal government appears to be bringing in a system where they decide who constitutes as an acceptable member of the Qualified Canadian Journalism Organization (QCJO). The Liberal government apparently claim that only 1% of what Rebel media reports is news, for example, so refused to give Rebel news approval as an official media outlet. Regardless of anyone's views of them as a media outlet suggesting they only produce 1% actual news is silly.

We've all seen what the LPC thinks about Canadians who don't share their views and opinions.

It doesn't bode well for Canadians, especially with this government, to have any government control who gets credentials as journalists with the context of being able to keep them out of events.

The Liberal government appears to be bringing in a system where they decide who constitutes as an acceptable member of the Qualified Canadian Journalism Organization (QCJO). The Liberal government apparently claim that only 1% of what Rebel media reports is news, for example, so refused to give Rebel news approval as an official media outlet. Regardless of anyone's views of them as a media outlet suggesting they only produce 1% actual news is silly.

We've all seen what the LPC thinks about Canadians who don't share their views and opinions.

It doesn't bode well for Canadians, especially with this government, to have any government control who gets credentials as journalists with the context of being able to keep them out of events.

IIRC that there is no 'American-like' freedom of speech in Canada.

Remember, we were the people that inspred their Declaration of Independence ;)

IIRC that there is no 'American-like' freedom of speech in Canada.

Remember, we were the people that inspred their Declaration of Independence ;)
There should be a more absolute version in Canada. ‘Freedom of thought, opinion, and expression’ is much more encompassing than simple ‘Freedom of speech’.

There should be a more absolute version in Canada. ‘Freedom of thought, opinion, and expression’ is much more encompassing than simple ‘Freedom of speech’.
in Canada you are allowed complete freedom of thought, opinion, and epression provided it those thoughts are the same as Justin's. Those who disagree, whilst free to think as they would, need not apply and will be ridiculed for voicing dissent.

People confuse freedom of speech with freedom from consequence. That's why we have libel laws for example.

in Canada you are allowed complete freedom of thought, opinion, and epression provided it those thoughts are the same as Justin's. Those who disagree, whilst free to think as they would, need not apply and will be ridiculed for voicing dissent.
There is no freedom from ridicule. The concept of freedom of expression governs your relationship with the state. If means you can drive around with a tacky “fuck Trudeau” bumper sticker and you can’t get a ticket for it. It doesn’t mean your neighbour can’t laugh at you for your views, or that you may be subject to public acorn and disdain. Others may choose to exercise their freedom of association and not have anything to do with you.

The reality is people say all kinds of things about our government and our PM all the time with zero consequence whatsoever. It’s silly to think anyone in Canada is actually experiencing repression for expressing views against our government, and that goes for whichever party is in power.

...And hate speech laws. And things like you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre...

Absolute freedom is a myth and there are always consequences.

It is pretty funny though that people that go on about 'woke snowflakes' take such exception for people thinking they're dumbasses for their opinions or think they are dickheads for taking over downtown Ottawa, crapping on the streets and honking continously for week, and think that equates to real government oppression. Similarly they act surprised that threatening to overthrow the democratically elected government may lead to getting investigated, and arrests for weapon stockpiles.

Can't wrap my head around the kind of doublethink where that's somehow on the same scale as governments putting people in re-education camps by the thousands, disappearing protestors, and throwing opposition leaders in jail on trumped up charges. What happened to Navalny is really nothing like Lich and co, who repeteadly ignored court orders, etc after being given a lot of leeway on things that went far beyond normal democratic protest norms.

...And hate speech laws.
Even this concept. We so barely have any. There are two criminal code sections, one against advocating genocide, and one against wilful incitement of hatred. Simply communicating your own hate speech, no matter how awful, won’t cut it.

There may be complaints under provincial human rights statutes if your behaviour has a discriminatory effect, but even that has little real teeth most of the time.

I think sometimes hate speech consequences are a little more immediate when people get punched in the face, but people seem a lot less outspoken that way unless they outnumber or otherwise stronger than whoever they are attacking. Pretty cowardly.

The Liberal government appears to be bringing in a system where they decide who constitutes as an acceptable member of the Qualified Canadian Journalism Organization (QCJO) to qualify for subsidies. The Liberal government apparently claim that only 1% of what Rebel media reports is news, for example, so refused to give Rebel news approval as an official media outlet to qualify for subsidies ...
FTFY - although if I were completely fair, I'd also note that a reasonably left-of-centre critic of the current government media policy agrees in general with "WTF's with gov't deciding who's a media outlet?"
Happens with all colours of team jerseys who want to manage the narrative, sadly :(

Listen, have you ever had acorns pelted at you in large numbers for your misdeeds? Don’t knock it as a form of censure.

happy ice age GIF

Interesting podcast from CanadaLand, but I think they are ignoring that it starts as a tax status review through the CRA; having been through those on a non-profit it's incredibly dry, and also why it's confidential (and publishers have to self-identify for that reason). The interviewer is pushing a certain viewpoint, but making it sound like it's a political decision, vice the board doing a true independent review and questioning their integrity.

There are a lot of things that shouldn't be considered for this (entertainment, aggregators, op-ed blogs etc). Doesn't look at quality, just that it's original journalistic content (without having to have any background qualifications).

Honestly seems like much ado about nothing, and there is a process for decision review, but it also sounds like a large amount of work and the IAB is doing an independent, thorough review with a broad criteria. Sure, the big newspapers get some money, but also sounds like it will give small local papers a tax break and make them more feasible. In the climate of 'citizen-journalists' that are mostly bloggers with op-eds, don't think that's a bad thing.

Independent Advisory Board on Eligibility for Journalism Tax Measures - Annual Report 2020-2021 - Canada.ca

If folks don't like it being the GCJO tax status being protected, they should bother their MPs to give this one an exception and have the rules changed.

Back