• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Not sure ‘OP HARRUMPH’ did much for the RCN’s cause. Sailors love to bemoan the ‘slight’ in disproportionately low number of Naval CDS…perhaps they brought it on themselves? Adms Hillborn-Falls (77-80), Anderson (12mos in 93) and McDonald (6wks in 2021) and VAdm Murray (Acting - 11 months 96/97)…so a command duty cycle of 11% (6/54yrs) since integration…is it because they ‘stood by their principles’ or because the Navy thinks it gets it, but doesn’t. McDonald and Baines probably won’t help that RCN-CDS duty-cycle for the next decade or so…

There was a short little story in Maclean's about the admirals revolt. But no, the country was swept up in the Flag debate and preparations for the Centennial Celebrations. Also there was the move to remove many of the trappings of being a colony, with Hellyer leading the Colonel Blimps into the brave new world.
A 100% clear, concise and accurate summary of the era ... and yeah, I was there, on regimental duty in Canada and then in Germany.

Not sure ‘OP HARRUMPH’ did much for the RCN’s cause. Sailors love to bemoan the ‘slight’ in disproportionately low number of Naval CDS…perhaps they brought it on themselves? Adms Hillborn-Falls (77-80), Anderson (12mos in 93) and McDonald (6wks in 2021) and VAdm Murray (Acting - 11 months 96/97)…so a command duty cycle of 11% (6/54yrs) since integration…is it because they ‘stood by their principles’ or because the Navy thinks it gets it, but doesn’t. McDonald and Baines probably won’t help that RCN-CDS duty-cycle for the next decade or so…

I'm not sure that has much to do with anything. Personally I don't know anyone who bemoans not having Naval CDS's. Honestly the CDS is rarely mentioned in conversation; but CRCN and RCN CPO, all the time.

A 100% clear, concise and accurate summary of the era ... and yeah, I was there, on regimental duty in Canada and then in Germany.

Was the Army and RCAF as compliant as Brock, and others, made them out to be ?

Id be interested to know your opinions and observations as you were in during that time. Admittedly that period in our history fascinates me.

Well the stink of being CDS (or not being CDS) hasn't been exclusively draped on the RCN has it? There is enough has-beens, near do wells, and boot lickers from all parts of the CAF to stink up all of Canada. In the end, what CDS has really moved the ball towards anything? We are hostages to the whims of the PMO and always will be.

Brock memoirs are by and large self serving ahh looking for a polite word .... Nope can't find one .
Let's just say you should take anything he says on almost any subject , especially if it concerns umm just about anything with a grain of salt.
It doesn't mean the two volumes aren't a great read they are. He had a marvelous grasp of the English language. Let's just say he may remember something's differently then some others.

I was but a tyke waving my tiny Centennial Flag during the Dominion Day parade being led by the pied piper Bobby Jimbee (sic) during that time. But I had an inkling of what was happening. I vaguely remember watching the RCN gun run in Brandon, or could it just be figment of my imagination.
But you would of had a front row seat on the shenanigan's for sure!

I found VAdm (R) Brock's book "The Thunder and the Sunshine Memoires of a Sailor" to have some good insight into the unification era and the resistance. Its been a while since I have read them but if memory serves me he is firm in his position the the RCAF were onside with it, the Army was ok with and it was the RCN who was the most in resistance.

Again, in the reading I have done that sense didn't seem to be dominant in RCN 1.0, but I am sure it existed to some extent. But I wasn't there...

HMC Dockyard in Halifax was lined with Civis and Sailor alike to wish Landymore fair seas when he was finally subdued.
The perception was, in many places ~ especially where I was serving ~ that we were adopting the RCAF's organization and management principles. There was considerable angst in the Army about the centralization of many support functions into bases. The fear, which proved to be at least partially true, was that it would weaken unit cohesion.

The unified command structure ~ Mobile Command for me and most of my friends ~ was popular with the Army. We, officers and soldiers on regimental duty, liked the idea of organic aviation ~ including "our own" fighters ... OK, they were only CF-5s. but they were "our own" organic, close air support.

Some Air Force noses were out of joint because Air Transport Command and Air Defence Command were "lesser" in command ranks and status than were Maritime and Mobile Commands.

I guess I understood the Navy's feelings about the "jolly green jumper," I cannot recall any of my friends who actually liked Mr Hellyer's new uniform, but most of us didn't;'t understand all of the Navy's objections and I, at least, thought that Maritime Command was, like Mobile Command, a step in the right direction.

McDonald-Baines-Edmundson

The Axis of Weasels? 😀

Brock memoirs are by and large self serving ahh looking for a polite word .... Nope can't find one .
Let's just say you should take anything he says on almost any subject , especially if it concerns umm just about anything with a grain of salt.
It doesn't mean the two volumes aren't a great read they are. He had a marvelous grasp of the English language. Let's just say he may remember something's differently then some others.

Interesting. What draws you to these conclusions ?

The perception was, in many places ~ especially where I was serving ~ that we were adopting the RCAF's organization and management principles. There was considerable angst in the Army about the centralization of many support functions into bases. The fear, which proved to be at least partially true, was that it would weaken unit cohesion.

The unified command structure ~ Mobile Command for me and most of my friends ~ was popular with the Army. We, officers and soldiers on regimental duty, liked the idea of organic aviation ~ including "our own" fighters ... OK, they were only CF-5s. but they were "our own" organic, close air support.

Some Air Force noses were out of joint because Air Transport Command and Air Defence Command were "lesser" in command ranks and status than were Maritime and Mobile Commands.

I guess I understood the Navy's feelings about the "jolly green jumper," I cannot recall any of my friends who actually liked Mr Hellyer's new uniform, but most of us didn't;'t understand all of the Navy's objections and I, at least, thought that Maritime Command was, like Mobile Command, a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the info.

Looking back on it, do you maintain the same opinions and positions ? If not how have the changed and why ?

The East Coast Admiral (who was in charge of Maritime Command) was ecstatic that he was getting control of Greenwood. I guess there was a plethora of Flight Lieutenants (Capts) who weren't doing much and he went in there with a scythe and cut a lot of the deadwood. According to the publications I've read at least.

The initial iteration of Maritime Command would have been great, the Navy had been advocating for control of the MPA community for years. But as per all the other maneuvering and backstabbing post Hellyer, the Air Force mafia was able to wrest control of all the flying communities from the Army and Navy.

In the end, a whole lot of churn and burn for not much return.

I read them and did a wee bit of digging . I enjoyed them immensely to be honest . Like I said he's a great writer.
His biggest problems seems to be his ego tended to get in the way and the venom directed at all and sundry at those who opposed him
Well I guess that's what memoirs are for .

Thanks for the info.

Looking back on it, do you maintain the same opinions and positions ? If not how have the changed and why ?

I still remain 100% convinced that Mr Hellyer's unified (joint) commands are much, Much, MUCH better than anything that has come since.

I thought the formation of Air Command in 1975 was an act of policy vandalism perpetrated by a bunch of short-sighted, vainglorious military wannabes which was allowed to succeed only because the commanders of Maritime and Mobile Command (Turcot, Milroy and Waters) were weak, narrow-minded old men who never put their organic Army and Navy Aviation arms on an equal footing with their ships and guns and tanks.

Mr Hellyer was wrong about several things, but his organizational model, of "functional" (his word) unified commands was better than anything we've had before or since.

I read them and did a wee bit of digging . I enjoyed them immensely to be honest . Like I said he's a great writer.
His biggest problems seems to be his ego tended to get in the way and the venom directed at all and sundry at those who opposed him
Well I guess that's what memoirs are for .

How so though ? He defiantly help no punches in his distain for the politicians and officers who pushed the unification program. Feel free to PM is if you wish. The period of unification fascinates me so I tend to pick that subject when I get the chance.

I still remain 100% convinced that Mr Hellyer's unified (joint) commands are much, Much, MUCH better than anything that has come since.

I thought the formation of Air Command in 1975 was an act of policy vandalism perpetrated by a bunch of short-sighted, vainglorious military wannabes which was allowed to succeed only because the commanders of Maritime and Mobile Command (Turcot, Milroy and Waters) were weak, narrow-minded old men who never put their organic Army and Navy Aviation arms on an equal footing with their ships and guns and tanks.

Mr Hellyer was wrong about several things, but his organizational model, of "functional" (his word) unified commands was better than anything we've had before or since.

Would that have more to do with HQ bloat ?

Similar to the USN? Even though the Marines are a "separate" service, they are so integrated with the Navy that their operations are seemless.

Similar to the USN? Even though the Marines are a "separate" service, they are so integrated with the Navy that their operations are seemless.

I have it in my head that Hellyer wanted us to be an organization similar to the USMC. Truth ? Or did I fabricate that ?

Back