• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

Another under-exploited pool of candidates?

27%
of Canadians, 18 years and older, participate in sport.

Certainly agree on the under-exploited. Here in the BC Interior we have Junior, Junior A, Junior B hockey teams and CJFL: all with kids that are physically fit, have worked as part of a team so they should have that loyalty / teamwork / respect for coaches (i.e. officers and NCOs) that would make them great candidates for the CAF but, alas we never target them for recruiting and personally I feel that it is an opportunity lost

Certainly agree on the under-exploited. Here in the BC Interior we have Junior, Junior A, Junior B hockey teams and CJFL: all with kids that are physically fit, have worked as part of a team so they should have that loyalty / teamwork / respect for coaches (i.e. officers and NCOs) that would make them great candidates for the CAF but, alas we never target them for recruiting and personally I feel that it is an opportunity lost
That would certainly be something new for the CAF; integrating hockey into the PER recruiting system.

We did that sort of thing before. It wasn’t that successful. Most kids that age still think they have a shot at the NHL or what not and want to play hockey not join the military. Same with most sports at that level. Or they get better deals to play varsity sports in the US or Europe.

Not saying it couldn’t be tried again but it didn’t work that much from what I saw when we did. And we actually had a war on as well.

2 years mandatory service immediately after high school for all. Earn credit towards post secondary, learn to be a #1 rifleman. You can decide to leave after 2, select people would get offers to stay and join the regs as ncm or officer stream to form the professional core. The period of service is treated with honour even after only 2 years. A culture of esprit de corps is society wide.

Everyone wins.

2 years mandatory service immediately after high school for all. Earn credit towards post secondary, learn to be a #1 rifleman. You can decide to leave after 2, select people would get offers to stay and join the regs as ncm or officer stream to form the professional core. The period of service is treated with honour even after only 2 years. A culture of esprit de corps is society wide.

Everyone wins.
Or tie in mandatory basic training following HS. July and august. 8 week BMQ. Those that show potential or want to could be invited to continue down a full time career path. Incorporate the recruiting process with that basic not to waste time. Those that don’t stay on beyond that initial basic would have the option to join the Territorials. Best case scenario is you create a more realistic selection process, worst case is you have a lot of people who get some form of military training that could be called upon if ever.

Problem though is cost.

Everyone wins.

The best way to teach someone to hate their country is to force them into compulsory military service when they're 18.

Or so conscripts from other countries have told me ;)

Caught an odd comment from MND Anand in an article at Global.

Have we been increasing defence spending since 2017? The wording seems odd.
There are troops at my unit that have gone out and bought their own civilian rucksacks, because they can't get issued them. Last year some were buying their own sleeping bags because they weren't issued them.

Everyone wins.
So we've swung from disbanding the Army all together to compulsory military service? I think both are equally unrealistic (and undesirable).

Volunteer is definitely the way to go. Make the commitment just long enough to impart some useful skills but short enough that joining doesn't set you too far back in starting a different career if the Army isn't for you.

Maybe something like 6 months with a Reg Force Battalion for BMQ/DP1 and an exercise. Trained recruits then have a choice to compete for a full-time 1 or 2 year Reg Force contract position, or alternately serve one year on Class A service with a Reserve unit near their home.

So we've swung from disbanding the Army all together to compulsory military service? I think both are equally unrealistic (and undesirable).

Volunteer is definitely the way to go. Make the commitment just long enough to impart some useful skills but short enough that joining doesn't set you too far back in starting a different career if the Army isn't for you.

Maybe something like 6 months with a Reg Force Battalion for BMQ/DP1 and an exercise. Trained recruits then have a choice to compete for a full-time 1 or 2 year Reg Force contract position, or alternately serve one year on Class A service with a Reserve unit near their home.

I think you've just described something like SYEP, which was a big boost for the CAF at the time as I recall...

mandatory service is unnecessary and undesired in my opinion but there are over 400,000 reaching military age yearly many of which could benefit personally as well as the country and the armed forces

mandatory service is unnecessary and undesired in my opinion but there are over 400,000 reaching military age yearly many of which could benefit personally as well as the country and the armed forces

It's a marketing opportunity, not a compulsory service solution.

We suck at sales, in general. It wouldn't take much to change that IMHO.

The best way to teach someone to hate their country is to force them into compulsory military service when they're 18.

Or so conscripts from other countries have told me ;)
Lots of countries do this to varying degrees:

Denmark
Israel
Sweden
Switzerland
Norway

I doubt the majorities in those places hate their country. To do this we‘d need the general population to see the necessity and have a basic understanding the world is not safe, and mature responsible politicians for bipartisan adoption. Since we have neither, it’s moot, and so is any real defence spending increase because $10 daycare is more important.

Or we could keep doing what we’re doing and expect different results I suppose.

I think you've just described something like SYEP, which was a big boost for the CAF at the time as I recall...

They called it SSEP during my time in, but SYEP sounds pretty similar...

Joined the PRes when I was 16. Gave them three full summers as a student / reservist, before starting my full-time career.

After that, two weeks leave with pay every summer for PRes training.

Employees can take a leave of absence with pay, for the two week period of absence, to attend the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Training Program.

Problem is training courses aren't two weeks, hell mine were 3 months, had to switch jobs many tines because employeers didn't like playing ball, and it's not worth filing a complaint

I'll stick with my model:

1) Recruit during high school - put on ResF BTL;

2) full summer employment to take BMQ from day school ends to day university or community college starts - tailor course to fit the break;

3) pay tuition and fees for those taking specialty course we want (paramedics, mechanics, cooks, heavy truckers) in exchange for obligatory period of service. Minimal 1 weekend per month training to keep in touch and build habit of being there;

4) full summer employment for four month DP1 course;

5) repeat 3);

6) full summer employment for four month DP2 course;

7) repeat 3) and 6) until education completed (especially officers with 4 years university;

8) after education complete transfer from BTL to a RegF or ResF unit with an obligatory period of service commensurate with education supported (2-3 years)

9) ResF units have obligatory training restricted to 10 monthly weekends and a three week exercise - selected reservists could be given a 1 year Class B to fill particular roles e.g. vehicle tech to bulk out a ResF maintenance company with full-time tradesmen and gain civilian work experience;

10) At end of obligatory service offer signing bonus for those considered worth keeping for a further period of obligatory service.

End state - a ResF individual trained to Reg F standards from the get go and capable of immediate CT or augmentation to a RegF unit; a system capable of generating a constant, predictable stream of soldiers;

🍻

Problem is training courses aren't two weeks, hell mine were 3 months, had to switch jobs many tines because employeers didn't like playing ball, and it's not worth filing a complaint
That's why one should concentrate on students, and train the hell out of them for the full summers when they are looking for work anyway.

In three summers and two academic years (five summers and four years for officers and certain others) you should be able to get them BMQ, DP1 and 2 trained in whatever trade. After that you go on a reduced cycle of obligatory training which caters for outside work and the family.

Get them while they're young and needing cash.

😉

I'll stick with my model:

1) Recruit during high school - put on ResF BTL;

2) full summer employment to take BMQ from day school ends to day university or community college starts - tailor course to fit the break;

3) pay tuition and fees for those taking specialty course we want (paramedics, mechanics, cooks, heavy truckers) in exchange for obligatory period of service. Minimal 1 weekend per month training to keep in touch and build habit of being there;

4) full summer employment for four month DP1 course;

5) repeat 3);

6) full summer employment for four month DP2 course;

7) repeat 3) and 6) until education completed (especially officers with 4 years university;

8) after education complete transfer from BTL to a RegF or ResF unit with an obligatory period of service commensurate with education supported (2-3 years)

9) ResF units have obligatory training restricted to 10 monthly weekends and a three week exercise - selected reservists could be given a 1 year Class B to fill particular roles e.g. vehicle tech to bulk out a ResF maintenance company with full-time tradesmen and gain civilian work experience;

10) At end of obligatory service offer signing bonus for those considered worth keeping for a further period of obligatory service.

End state - a ResF individual trained to Reg F standards from the get go and capable of immediate CT or augmentation to a RegF unit; a system capable of generating a constant, predictable stream of soldiers;

🍻

As per 2), you could offer a 'Gap Year' of military service, between Grade 12 and Uni, and probably get alot of interest. Especially if it comes with alot of travel as well as education credits, or whatever.

Back