• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Right now Charest is the only one I'd consider voting for. He's in his sixties, far from over the hill.

Leave Houston where he is a few years!
That would be my plan too, if I were a conservative who want to see socially progressive, fiscally responsible government in Canada at some point during this century.

I'm not a political scientist and to be honest I don't earnestly follow the minutiae details of Cdn politics. From what little that I know or think that I understand, I do have the following questions:
How/when to did the CPC moved further to the right of the political spectrum? Are they out of sync with the views of the Cdn mainstream or is this simply a regional difference or perhaps rural vs urban split?
What happened to the socially progressive, fiscally conservative/responsible members of the CPC?
How did the socially conservative members gain control of the party? Or they simply more vocal?

I believe that the majority of Cdns (perhaps concentrated in the urban centres) do support : LGBT rights; responsible spending - balanced budget and pay down debt; free trade (incl between Provinces); less government bureaucracy; tax reform; individual freedoms; free speech; support for small businesses; and so forth. I guess this means me a Red Tory or bluish reddish Tory.

Cheers

I'm not a political scientist and to be honest I don't earnestly follow the minutiae details of Cdn politics. From what little that I know or think that I understand, I do have the following questions:
How/when to did the CPC moved further to the right of the political spectrum? Are they out of sync with the views of the Cdn mainstream or is this simply a regional difference or perhaps rural vs urban split?
What happened to the socially progressive, fiscally conservative/responsible members of the CPC?
How did the socially conservative members gain control of the party? Or they simply more vocal?

I believe that the majority of Cdns (perhaps concentrated in the urban centres) do support : LGBT rights; responsible spending - balanced budget and pay down debt; free trade (incl between Provinces); less government bureaucracy; tax reform; individual freedoms; free speech; support for small businesses; and so forth. I guess this means me a Red Tory or bluish reddish Tory.

Cheers

They didn't move further right, they stayed about the same. The LPC moved further left.

They didn't move further right, they stayed about the same. The LPC moved further left.

You're half right. The PCs have gone further right as the Liberals pushed further left.

The votes are in the centre.

What policy or platform is further right than before?

I quite frankly think that both happened.
One gets the impression from more then a few CPC members they 'd much rather be ideologically pure then in Government .
However once, God ordains their ascension to power all of us lesser types will pay for our transgressions. I have actually met one or two like this.
Where did all the centrists go ? sigh

I quite frankly think that both happened.
One gets the impression from more then a few CPC members they 'd much rather be ideologically pure then in Government .
However once, God ordains their ascension to power all of us lesser types will pay for our transgressions. I have actually met one or two like this.
Where did all the centrists go ? sigh
The center is smaller than one thinks.

There are a lot of centrists voters, but they are camped in the LPC or CPC and not as many swing from one or the other as people think.

What policy or platform is further right than before?

Not everything has to do with policy. Especially when campaign platforms and policy announcements are just empty platitudes like they are today.

Perception = Truth now. When the CPC finally understand that it will decide whether it wants to win nomination races or elections.

The CPC needs to shed the perception that abortion rights and LGBTQ+ rights will be under threat if they are elected. It needs a coherent and practical environmental policy. It needs to show its not anti-immigration. One thing we should do is take up the torch for electoral reform.

Lastly it needs to take the initiative from the opposition. And that comes by putting forth good policy that relates and resonates to the whole country and not just one area, but mostly it comes from not continually holding party votes on things like the issues held above and putting forth a coherent and positive alternative that includes all geo areas of the country.

The center is smaller than one thinks.

There are a lot of centrists voters, but they are camped in the LPC or CPC and not as many swing from one or the other as people think.

I disagree. I think the center is vast. I think the issue is the CPC has lost narrative and instead of providing positive and reasonable alternative it wails about JT in Black Face or groping allegations. The let the Liberals get them worked up and them they become incoherent babbling fringe right wingers.

Everyone else slid "left". Recall that SSM was not in contemplation, until suddenly it was. Essentially similar to what happened in the US (progressive views shifting much more than conservative views). Between two political frames of reference looking at each other, neither can tell which is moving without an external reference point. So pick some issues and see who has moved on them.

I disagree. I think the center is vast. I think the issue is the CPC has lost narrative and instead of providing positive and reasonable alternative it wails about JT in Black Face or groping allegations. The let the Liberals get them worked up and them they become incoherent babbling fringe right wingers.
In the last election, O'Toole published a platform that I thought was reasonable, well presented and sustainable. Unfortunately he shot himself in the foot by changing positions during the campaign and the message became muddled and confusing.

You're half right. The PCs CPC have gone further right as the Liberals pushed further left and took a significant chunk of the ‘less-right’ Ex-PCs with them.

The votes are in the centre.
IMO, of course.

Back