• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious or Spiritual Accommodation

jaysfan17

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I just have a general question with regards to DAOD 5516-3, Religious or Spiritual Accommodation. There is a grey area within this DAOD which I can't seem to figure out. If someone requests for a specific accommodation under DAOD 5516-3 are they able to maintain practicing this request whilst the approval for it is pending? (I hope I explained that properly).

1) For example, the easiest one I can think of is a beard or hair request. If someone has their request recommended by the Padre and the request is just waiting for the CO's signature, are they allowed to continue practicing their religion as if this request was approved? Adding to the confusion there is someone at my unit who has requested a beard accommodation citing religious grounds, but was told to shave by the Capt despite the request being recommended by the Padre, however not yet approved by the CO which it needs to be. Is that right?

2) Another example I guess would be if a Sikh requests to wear a turban with his uniform. Would he be allowed to continue to wear it whilst his approval is pending?

I'll attach the DAOD and I've read it over a few times and I'm hoping to get a better understanding, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I would greatly appreciate it if there's anyone that has at least some knowledge of these types of requests to chime in.

Good day everyone,

I just have a general question with regards to DAOD 5516-3, Religious or Spiritual Accommodation. There is a grey area within this DAOD which I can't seem to figure out. If someone requests for a specific accommodation under DAOD 5516-3 are they able to maintain practicing this request whilst the approval for it is pending? (I hope I explained that properly).

1) For example, the easiest one I can think of is a beard or hair request. If someone has their request recommended by the Padre and the request is just waiting for the CO's signature, are they allowed to continue practicing their religion as if this request was approved? Adding to the confusion there is someone at my unit who has requested a beard accommodation citing religious grounds, but was told to shave by the Capt despite the request being recommended by the Padre, however not yet approved by the CO which it needs to be. Is that right?

2) Another example I guess would be if a Sikh requests to wear a turban with his uniform. Would he be allowed to continue to wear it whilst his approval is pending?

I'll attach the DAOD and I've read it over a few times and I'm hoping to get a better understanding, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I would greatly appreciate it if there's anyone that has at least some knowledge of these types of requests to chime in.

For Turbans, I belive that the dress regs a dress that. So I don’t think a request is required at all.

And beards are allowed now so why would that be an issue? Unless the beard is not regulation?

Speaking from experience I risk manage that. I leave it as is until a decision is made. So if it’s a beard issue I wait until a decision is rendered or recommend to the COC that they wait.

I had a weird case that I had never heard of once. To be safe i let it ride until until it went up and decision was made. Turns out the accommodation was legit. I’m glad I waited before a decision was made and the member felt he was treated fairly with the process. In fact we found out the CAF would subsidize the accommodation.

Sometimes it’s just a legit case of not knowing and it isn’t done maliciously.

For Turbans, I belive that the dress regs a dress that. So I don’t think a request is required at all.
Noted
And beards are allowed now so why would that be an issue? Unless the beard is not regulation?
My bad, these particular members are not OFP and belong to a specific unit which requires it's members to shave. Additionally, some religions require members to let their hair/beards grow longer than what the CAF regulations are which I assume is an additional purpose for the accommodation request.

There is no such thing as a unit which requires its members to shave.

There is such a thing as a CO issuing illegal orders.

If a member is not at OFP/DP1 qualified they are not covered in the authorization to grow a beard according to CANFORGEN 158/18.

Also, for operational reasons units can force members to shave. Members serving in HMC Ships must shave because of their fire fighting responsibilities.

Now, religious accommodations might exempt individuals from the requirement to shave, but only if it doesn't impact the use of safety equipment.

A unit with non DP1 personnel and where someone thinks an approved dress item (turban) requires permission, from someone with a username that suggests they are in Toronto makes me assume the knuckle draggers of 32 CBG are at it again.

A unit with non DP1 personnel and where someone thinks an approved dress item (turban) requires permission, from someone with a username that suggests they are in Toronto makes me assume the knuckle draggers of 32 CBG are at it again.
What furniture said above pertains to the question I asked, except they worded it more eloquently.

Anyone who needs to be able to wear an N95 with no notice; all of the SAR units for the last 2 years.

There is no "request" for a Sikh to wear a turban. It's an approved item of wear.

A CO who doesn't know that is, to use the technical term, a fucking idiot unfit to command.

Back