• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Sure but only because you asked nicely.
I believed the explanation I read about the incident and thought the prospect of police punishing people who supported the protest was an interesting. The language surrounding who the police will be going after is very ambiguous as you've read.
Speaking of colours and agencies, we're these more kids in uniform or was this crew actual professional officers?
The fact that you see bylaw at the door more than OPS suggests to me that, whatever was going on at that point in time, it was of greater concern to bylaw than to police. I’ve read elsewhere that there was some pro-protester streaming taking place within the cafe, with deliberate and defiance of some of the Covid precautions as an attempt to provoke a law enforcement response.

Smashing into the business to enforce essentially a bylaw matter (while they were streaming live on YouTube) could easily have become a flashpoint in the context of the larger ongoing situation. This took place Sunday afternoon; there were a lot of protesters still in the area, pissed off, but without a specific plan or any focal point for what to do next.

A business can be ticketed later. Suspects can be IDed and apprehended later. Part of professional policing is having the sense and discretion to recognize where a specific enforcement objective might fit into a bigger picture. As it is, that situation did not escalate farther, when it easily could have.

(Edit to add: this is from what I see in a relatively brief look, and the presence of a definite bylaw vehicle parked right in front. I could always be wrong.)

My daughter brought this to my attention. It exploded on both social and traditional media including CNN and AP:

Apparently (I have to say that since I have only 2nd hand), the original TicToc post was made by a CAF member who is being released because of COVID and is hell-bent on going out in a blaze of glory.

I swear we need to find a way to aerosolize Prozac and finally put some truth to the chem-trails conspiracy.
Those planes are there to take Roberta Paulsen to her next protest death. My guess is Ukraine.

The fact that you see bylaw at the door more than OPS suggests to me that, whatever was going on at that point in time, it was of greater concern to bylaw than to police. I’ve read elsewhere that there was some pro-protester streaming taking place within the cafe, with deliberate and defiance of some of the Covid precautions as an attempt to provoke a law enforcement response.

Smashing into the business to enforce essentially a bylaw matter (while they were streaming live on YouTube) could easily have become a flashpoint in the context of the larger ongoing situation. This took place Sunday afternoon; there were a lot of protesters still in the area, pissed off, but without a specific plan or any focal point for what to do next.

A business can be ticketed later. Suspects can be IDed and apprehended later. Part of professional policing is having the sense and discretion to recognize where a specific enforcement objective might fit into a bigger picture. As it is, that situation did not escalate farther, when it easily could have.

(Edit to add: this is from what I see in a relatively brief look, and the presence of a definite bylaw vehicle parked right in front. I could always be wrong.)

This video is 15 minutes and shows more. It does sound like a protestor was inside hiding from the police (comments about calling the hotel to get his stuff put aside).

I noticed the cops at the door have A41 on their vests. I seen that number on a lot of officers. Are those are bylaw officers with the A41 markings? They're doing the majority of the interaction.

In the video the narrator mentions the police are asking to do an inspection. The store owner seems to be saying he doesn't believe they're they're bylaw officers (presumably to come in and do an inspection).

I'm not sure having the presence of the lord is enough to keep the police out like the woman is suggesting.

And the double-speak doesn’t end in the Lower House…

The government's representative in the second chamber said this question was "a preoccupation of many." Gold said the Emergencies Act was less far-reaching with more checks and balances, including parliamentary scrutiny, than its predecessor, the War Measures Act.

He said there were many mechanisms in the act that would allow the Commons and Senate to question its provisions. He said he would be proud to see senators using "all the democratic tools in our kit" to hold the government, or any government, to account.
..so long as it doesn’t mean asking about the secret information that the Government won’t provide the elected and appointed officials of Parliament.

Nothing to see here…move on…

The basis of a lot of the anger towards Trudeau and his PMO is the outright lies they told to the Canadian public.

Remember these hits?

This is the last first past the post election!

We''ll see the Admiral in court!

The budget will balance itself

The Justice Minister experienced things differently

WE, the Keilbergers and Justin's Mom

Norman, SNC Lavalin, WE. If the PMO just came out and said "We F*ed up" I bet a lot of anger would be dissipated but they blocked, evaded, delayed which "proved" to the great unwashed that the PMO and the PM are full of s* and they will do anything to keep the stink off of them.
Look at Ford, he regularly screws things up or make the wrong decisions. But he's quick to admit when wrong and then change tack, and that goes along way with the plebes that this guy is just like us.

The Lawyer and Laurentide sect don't seem to get this.

I'm not convinced our system is properly set up for legislators and policy makers to have access to sensitive information yet maintain effective safeguards. A policy of openness, Parliamentary Privilege and too much temptation to beak off with their thumbs for partisan gain, and not enough ''hauled off to the tower' repercussions.

I'm not convinced our system is properly set up for legislators and policy makers to have access to sensitive information yet maintain effective safeguards. A policy of openness, Parliamentary Privilege and too much temptation to beak off with their thumbs for partisan gain, and not enough ''hauled off to the tower' repercussions.
The unfortunately side to Democratic process.
Occurs down here too.

Possibly not. But at the same time it creates a system where parliamentary privilege et el is easily abused. Providing Canadians are actually compensated for banned firearms, that's a $1B cost to tax payers based on "evidence" no one is allowed to see. The current government has hardly behaved in an open transparent and trust worthy manner.

This emergency act is turning out to be the same thing. Feet dragging and inaction turned a 3 day protest into a month occupation. The situation is brought under control but the government is still going ahead with the temporary Emergency Act, of which the government will be making portions permanent, and the members of parliament we voted in to make decisions for us will not be given the full story to make their decisions. There's some ill defined ambiguous scary threat lurking out there that we just have to trust the government about. Is this intelligence from the same sources that apparently royally screwed up the threat assessment on the truckers? WMD in Iraq kind of stuff.

Good portion of Canadians who vote for left leaning governments don't care about rights and freedoms, they are more than happy letting government control their lives. People vote for their local MPs who are supposed to represent their views and listen to their concerns, not tow the party line. Whatever Canada is, a functioning democracy it is not.

Good portion of Canadians who vote for left leaning governments don't care about rights and freedoms, they are more than happy letting government control their lives. People vote for their local MPs who are supposed to represent their views and listen to their concerns, not tow the party line. Whatever Canada is, a functioning democracy it is not.

Yes it is. You may not like it but it is.

The challenge is for the opposition to provide a suitable alternative. And right now they do not.

So sometime in the next few days, Justin Trudeau is either going to need to tell Canadians, as best he can without jeopardizing lives, what the ongoing emergency is, or he’s going to have to tell Canadians that the emergency has passed and that the emergency powers are no longer needed. The law permits him no other choices. So now we wait and see what happens next.

Says a lot about these protesters having a temper tantrum:

Social media pages under the same names as several of the accused in Coutts have shared conspiracy theories, complaints about the government and inaccurate COVID-19 information.

Back