• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

Some of the %s are very generous IMO (OR is one of them...). I'm sitting here looking at my Croc's, knowing I can put a patch on them and they're good to go again...but it is tempting to just 'get new ones' when they're more affordable!

Lots of "protest/trucks/pandemic" stuff in the news, Social Media, etc and I'm pretty much tired of hearing about all of it.

Archery - decided to give this art a whirl and purchased a Bear Archery Species EV RTH setup (black), a Tru-Fire wrist release, and am working on arrows (thinking some 55lb draw field points to start). The Species EV is nice in that I can adjust my draw from 55-70lb myself...

Trg/education - primarily Nock On Archery (University of Nock is another name I heard it referred to at first), which also have some great Youtube "Achery 101 Pt 1/2/3" that was pretty good at nailing the basics down (shot protocol and such) and lots of Podcasts (300+).

Anyone who is into archery, for the sport, hunting...and wants to pass on some experience and tips, that would be super. I'm starting off with target shooting at home (we have a little over 2 acres...), and getting some proficiency/comfort built up before taking my provincial bowhunting course and "being a danger to others and myself" in the woods.

* picked up the Species package at Cabela's for on sale for $499.99 CAD, plus the 5% military discount. First bow of any type I've ever owned.

Lots of "protest/trucks/pandemic" stuff in the news, Social Media, etc and I'm pretty much tired of hearing about all of it.

Archery - decided to give this art a whirl and purchased a Bear Archery Species EV RTH setup (black), a Tru-Fire wrist release, and am working on arrows (thinking some 55lb draw field points to start). The Species EV is nice in that I can adjust my draw from 55-70lb myself...

Trg/education - primarily Nock On Archery (University of Nock is another name I heard it referred to at first), which also have some great Youtube "Achery 101 Pt 1/2/3" that was pretty good at nailing the basics down (shot protocol and such) and lots of Podcasts (300+).

Anyone who is into archery, for the sport, hunting...and wants to pass on some experience and tips, that would be super. I'm starting off with target shooting at home (we have a little over 2 acres...), and getting some proficiency/comfort built up before taking my provincial bowhunting course and "being a danger to others and myself" in the woods.

* picked up the Species package at Cabela's for on sale for $499.99 CAD, plus the 5% military discount. First bow of any type I've ever owned.
String bites are common and hurt like a bitch. It may not look cool, but get a forearm guard, at least in the learning phase. Yes, even compound bows can bite you.

String bites are common and hurt like a bitch. It may not look cool, but get a forearm guard, at least in the learning phase. Yes, even compound bows can bite you.

I'm too old to care about looking cool thankfully. tks for the tip!

Soldier On has a really good grant available to anyone with an approved VAC claim, doesn't matter what the injury is. Soldier On will pay for up to $1000 worth of sports equipment which includes Archery (not crossbows AFAIK)

Soldier On has a really good grant available to anyone with an approved VAC claim, doesn't matter what the injury is. Soldier On will pay for up to $1000 worth of sports equipment which includes Archery (not crossbows AFAIK)
Damn! I am definitely going to look into this!

Update:

Due to limited funding and increased demand, our equipment grant program is currently closed. Please connect with your Regional Coordinator or check out Events and Activities in your region to discover alternative ways that Soldier On can support you.

I will also add that a 55lb bow is a bit of a goat to learn proper form on. I know compounds are much easier to draw and hold than recurve/self bows, but that particular muscle group your working is pretty much used for only one thing, and you're doing it. Archery proficiency is achieved by doing the exact same thing 1000s of times, and if you're getting fatigued after 20-30 arrows a day it's going to take a lot longer. I started out on the recurve side of the house with a 30lb bow. I haven't shot much in a few years, so I'd probably go back to that just to get my hunch back muscles back on line. All that aside, have fun with it, it's a great activity.

Mine was 70lb out of the box; I was surprised that 70lb pull and 70lb dumbbells are NOT the same beast and dropped to 55lbs for form and technique.

So far, all I've been doing is practicing the shot process and maintaining release control. Each evening, I'll do about a dozen draws...and the morning after the first night I did that, I was "wtf is wrong with my upper back?". You're 100% right, that is a unique set of muscles doing that draw.

My yard is a mud-mess mostly at this point, once it firms up some I'm going to set up a mini-range with 10/20/30/40yd markers on it and start actually shooting.

I'm looking forward to trying some pheasant and grouse in the fall; bit more challenge than my 12ga.

Damn! I am definitely going to look into this!

Update:

Due to limited funding and increased demand, our equipment grant program is currently closed. Please connect with your Regional Coordinator or check out Events and Activities in your region to discover alternative ways that Soldier On can support you.

Each year the Soldier On grant program is given X amount of dollars to use. Once it runs out it's empty until the next FY when it's restocked with cash for the 1-time grants. It's a first come first serve basis.

I'll do some digging to see if it's been put on a longer hiatus.

Jarn's got the basis of the soldier on program down - pool of money available until money runs out for that timeframe. You can only apply when they have the money to dole out, otherwise you'll be asked to wait.

In my case I got a fat bike.

If the process is the same, you'll be asked to include a quote for the thing you want in the application. If still the same you can use the grant money to finance a part of a piece of equipment, you finance the other part. Fat bikes aren't cheap and so the $1000 did not cover all of it but it sure offset it enough for me to make it affordable! And finally, if it is all still the same you should not purchase anything until approved.

My experience says you might not find much on the program until it is actually active. Before it opened the time I applied there was scant info available on the web as if they took old processes down.

FYI: great bunch of folks, super helpful, spectacular program. When I get more of my stuff dialed in for this disc golf venture I plan to fire an event idea at those guys to see if I might be able to give back a little, in the way of a new pastime for people to try.

Sorting out my backpacking gear and need to/ want to buy some new gear. Looking for a recommendation for a baselayer Tee Shirt to wear while hiking. Will be for late spring/summer/early fall. Obviously, I don't want a cotton shirt, thinking something like Merino Wool. Something to wick the moisture away. Any suggestions, preferably from a Canadian store.

I've become a huge fan of Level 6 clothing. It's designed primarily as paddling gear but...I love it; I've never owned clothing that is more comfortable, paddling or even just chillin' watching Netflix. When I'm out around the property clearing brush, etc, I've gone to wearing this as a baselayer with a Carhartt overtop. Their shirts are in the Layering/Sun Protection section or the clearance section as well.

They usually have some decent prices in their clearance section, too.

Back