• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Well, if we believe police (like all the times we hear about some people dying or getting injured with police involved elsewhere) ....
I'm happy to stand corrected, but given the similarity of the name of the person who Indian media of some kind claims is dead to this whole fracas from the Capitol Hill riots (down to the hashtag) ...
... I'm going with the woman with the walker ain't dead until someone officially (not "Twitter says," like the whole "Morneau & the RCMP commish are related" thing went) says different. Reminder about "breaking news" attached ;)

Also, Pat King facing some charges

Attachments

• BreakingNewsCaveats.jpg
    BreakingNewsCaveats.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 13
I don’t have a lot of sympathy for protestors, left, right or whatever, who refuse to disperse after given ample warning to do so. From what I have seen, police been quite restrained. Anywhere else would have seen water cannons, tear gas and a phalanx of riot shields moving with speed.

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for protestors, left, right or whatever, who refuse to disperse after given ample warning to do so. From what I have seen, police been quite restrained. Anywhere else would have seen water cannons, tear gas and a phalanx of riot shields moving with speed.
Have water cannons ever been used in sub-zero temperatures? You don’t even need a lot of pressure, people would leave after hypothermia sets in.

Unfortunate things can happen, with or without emergency measures. Consequences can be disproportionate to force, merely by accident. I recall people getting similarly worked up over the old guy who was shoved, and then tripped and cracked his noggin in Buffalo a couple of years ago. Some chalked his injury up to misfortune out of proportion to a bit of his own jackassery; some were adamant that the police involved were reckless and inattentive.

It is kind of neat watching the French and German police practice their crowd control skills, tear gas, water cannons, batons and all.

Of course they get a lot of practice. Fortunately our police don't have nearly as much experience. I hope it stays that way.

We call those "unintended consequences"........like a weapon can be called less lethal, but it doesn't mean it wont kill you if "unintended consequences" happen.

... Some chalked his injury up to misfortune out of proportion to a bit of his own jackassery; some were adamant that the police involved were reckless and inattentive.
Maybe not in the specific incident you cited, but I've also seen a variation of the yellow option in similar situations where someone's dinged in some way interacting with police: FAFO. I've also seen a variation of the red option: "cops suck - full stop."

Every viewer's read'll vary, obviously, depending on how they feel about police in general and the protest/incident in question.

Last edited:
like a weapon can be called less lethal, but it doesn't mean it wont kill you if "unintended consequences" happen.

Sometimes non-lethal measures aren't. The police are bound to occasionally roll a 20 and go to the critical injury table.

We call those "unintended consequences"........like a weapon can be called less lethal, but it doesn't mean it wont kill you if "unintended consequences" happen.
That's BS, Bruce. There is a distinct difference between an aimed less-lethal round causing an injury than the almost certain hypothermia when you soak people with water cannons in the middle of winter in Canada.

Just another thought -

ERROR: As far as I'm concerned the end game here is to develop the ability to break up crowds efficiently.

As far as I'm concerned the end game here is NOT, say again, NOT to develop the ability to break up crowds efficiently.

It certainly isn't to generate enough fear in that efficiency that people will never again gather in opposition to the forces of Peace, Order and Good Governance.

The end state is to generate a government that is sufficiently responsive to all the citizens it represents that none of the citizens feel the need to demonstrate in this, or like, manner.

It's not about putting the boot in. It's about getting people to let their yellow vests and black leotards remain in the closet and forgetting where they left them.

Last edited:
Back