• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I would say because it’s news. I can’t speak to all news outlets but a lot have been contacting the names first to confirm if it was them or not before publishing.

Anyone remember the Ashley Maddison Leak? And all the @forces names that were in there?
One would argue that there is a major difference between the two.
Especially depending on the date of the donations.

One would argue that there is a major difference between the two.
Especially depending on the date of the donations.
Of course. But still news.

I agree about when donations may have been made.

I've always enjoyed taking VIA Rail to visit our nation's capitol.

As a tourist, I was curious to know what life is like for those living there these days,

Wow.

“….there was an man behind her [daughter] and she was scared she had a gun…”

So how did here daughter come to believe the man walking behind her had a gun?

Either: A) she told he daughter the man may have a gun; or B) her daughter saw one of the new GoC ads about gun violence in the streets.”

When did we get so divided ?

Some of you who have more seas under their keel than I may know more but I dont remember a time when we were so divided as a country. I feel like when I was growing up Libs and PCs could talk, compromise and work together...

Am I living in a fantasy land ?

Some of you who have more seas under their keel than I may know more but I dont remember a time when we were so divided as a country. I feel like when I was growing up Libs and PCs could talk, compromise and work together...

Growing up for me there was a big English vs French divide. Mostly driven by the separatist movement

Maybe the “counter culture” events of the 1960s?

I read that the owner of Stella Luna (Ottawa Ice Cream and Gelato joint) got doxed. Now her staff is getting threatening calls.

"But then there’s Tammy Giuliani, the owner of Stella Luna Gelato Café, which has two locations in Ottawa. She made a $250 donation to the convoy on February 5. By Monday afternoon, her staff were getting threatening phone calls, and Giuliani was forced to close shop. We would be surprised if she’s never able to run a business in the town again. "

Last edited:

I know it's a rhetorical question, but 1947 would be a good place to start. In the USA ~ from whence most Canadians get most of their ideas: good and bad ~ some liberal politicians (Republicans who are now called conservatives because the US media and intelligentsia have totally lost the ability to use the English language) wanted to repeal the New Deal. It was, they felt, government overreach which may have been necessary, as a stop-gap measure in the 1930s but was too much "government" for a liberal nation.

In Canada there was the first skirmish of a civil war inside the Liberal Party on socio-economic policy that lasts to this day. The Big Government Liberals won the day. A similar civil war shook the Conservative Party in Canada, too. Diefenbaker was, mainly, a liberal but he faced a Big Government caucus.

By 1964, in America, Barry Goldwater campaigned on formally renouncing and dismantling most of the New Deal and the "New Right" was born. Goldwater lost.

But the divisions in US social and political thought were clear and firm ... and they seeped, slowly at first, and then swept across the border into Canada.

Québec, as always, was and remains the least liberal political jurisdiction in North America and it helped to push and keep the Liberal Party in the Big Government/illiberal camp. The Conservatives were, under Brian Mulroney, equally committed to Big Government and it took Parson Preston Manning to really bring American style neo-liberalism into Canada. Stephen Harper was/is a neo-liberal. It is not clear to me where Pierre Poilievre and other would-be leadership sit on the liberal - neo-liberal - Conservative - Liberal - illiberal - autocratic spectrum.

I read that the owner of Stella Luna (Ottawa Ice Cream and Gelato joint) got doxed. Now her staff is getting threatening calls.

"But then there’s Tammy Giuliani, the owner of Stella Luna Gelato Café, which has two locations in Ottawa. She made a $250 donation to the convoy on February 5. By Monday afternoon, her staff were getting threatening phone calls, and Giuliani was forced to close shop. We would be surprised if she’s never able to run a business in the town again. "

She’s done. No way she recovers from this.

Well, I'm not that old but it seems the WWI conscription issue, the Winnipeg General Strike were pretty divisive as well. I suppose by the nature of the technology and transportation of earlier times, public expressions of discontent were much more local or regional and didn't have much chance to coalesce. Most often, if you wanted to mount a protest, you pretty much had to use the folks who were within a wagon ride.

No social media and limited broadcast media. A sound bite was probably a print reporter extracting a phrase out a long speech (they were more into oratory back then).

I also think politics was much less centrally driven and partisan back in the day and there was more cross-floor collaboration, and the Bill Davis-style 'red-Tory' was more in fashion (with possibly a, what, blue-Grit?). Less power in the PMO, less power by party employees (who are allowed to be in the PMO, which drives me nuts).

'Politics is the art of the possble': Bismarck​

... Some media outlets are already publishing the names and details of some donors. To what end? one might ask.
Another example of good for the goose, good for the gander.

If a similar list of donors to, say, Antifa was hacked & published, would people be curious about who's donating? Including looking for people dumb enough to use their easily-identifiable email addresses? Or is their privacy and right to expression/association just as protected as the folks donating to this cause?

I love that place, went there often.
People are morons.:mad:
I literally passed her place on my way to get a haircut this weekend (where I also witnessed the ‘barely anyone there’ counter-convoy protest at Lansdowne). Little did I know that a favourite local small business employing many middle-to-lower class Canadians and their entrepreneurial boss, may very well all lose their livelihood because the Libstasi judged and sentenced them in absentia to financial destitution.

Well done, Canada. 😠

I literally passed her place on my way to get a haircut this weekend (where I also witnessed the ‘barely anyone there’ counter-convoy protest at Lansdowne). Little did I know that a favourite local small business employing many middle-to-lower class Canadians and their entrepreneurial boss, may very well all lose their livelihood because the Libstasi judged and sentenced them in absentia to financial destitution.

Well done, Canada. 😠

Social Credit Score! Woopie Doo its arrived.

Well done, Canada. 😠
Other businesses have stepped up to offer all her employees jobs apparently.

But I find it quite funny that people who had no sympathy for local Ottawa businesses that feed the beast suddenly have concern.

People vote with their wallets.

Other businesses have stepped up to offer all her employees jobs apparently.

But I find it quite funny that people who had no sympathy for local Ottawa businesses that feed the beast suddenly have concern.

People vote with their wallets.
Hmm, I don't quite get your reasoning here. The loss of business for everyone downtown Ottawa is a concern for all Canadians and what these "protestors" are doing there is not right.
People can vote with their wallets, that is their right. But death threats to employees who's only connection to the owner is that they work there? What kind of person does that? It has been noted by folks like Paul Wells and David Herle that their 60's protest friends are very quick now to advocate for the cops or the army to come in a break some heads. Funny how the comfortable folks become freedom of the land types when their comfort is challenged by what they consider "The Great Unwashed".

Hmm, I don't quite get your reasoning here. The loss of business for everyone downtown Ottawa is a concern for all Canadians and what these "protestors" are doing there is not right.
People can vote with their wallets, that is their right. But death threats to employees who's only connection to the owner is that they work there? What kind of person does that? It has been noted by folks like Paul Wells and David Herle that their 60's protest friends are very quick now to advocate for the cops or the army to come in a break some heads. Funny how the comfortable folks become freedom of the land types when their comfort is challenged by what they consider "The Great Unwashed".

HuW_memKuK_1rPKfQqvW4DtHy5lg6AhdTuLGoxfj9Eo.jpg

Back