• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boeing to offer P-8 as CP-140 Replacement

I'm not sure the Japanese are willing (or allowed) to export that.
Japan has been eagerly trying to find an export customer for P-1 for many years.

I've been impressed by P-1 capabilities, but I think spares/parts availability would be a substantial issue for any international operator.

Wonder if Bombardier might try to revive Saab Swordfish (Global 6000 airframe):

Mark
Ottawa

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Japan has been eagerly trying to find an export customer for P-1 for many years.

I've been impressed by P-1 capabilities, but I think spares/parts availability would be a substantial issue for any international operator.
This part here was interesting.

Jointly building a P-1 that taps into Britain’s experience building the Nimrod would allow London to retain rights over radar and sensing technology it would lose by buying a U.S. aircraft regulated by the Pentagon, one source said.

De Havilland launches Dash 8 P-4 maritime patrol aircraft - Air Data News

Or roll on/off maritime patrol kit for a c130 too someone was looking at developing.
"Sea-130" has been proposed many times. No biters yet.

Some other interesting fielded (not paper) MPA options that have popped up just in the past 12 months:

I'm not sure the Japanese are willing (or allowed) to export that.
They seem to been having a change of heart on arms export, quite willing to market their subs. Selling to a "low risk" country like Canada, would be good for future arms sales and build a relationship to potentially sell us subs.

They seem to been having a change of heart on arms export, quite willing to market their subs. Selling to a "low risk" country like Canada, would be good for future arms sales and build a relationship to potentially sell us subs.
Fair.

Still though, the benefits of working off a 737 platform (probably the most common civilian airliner out there) AND having the P-8 adopted by not only all of the other 5-eyes nations, but a bunch of other allied nations, is a big selling point.

Maybe pool logistics/parts/maintenance together or something with the other 5-eyes nations.

Some other interesting fielded (not paper) MPA options that have popped up just in the past 12 months:

Viking enters Chat Maritime Mission | Viking's Aerial Firefighter

Ok my idea from years ago. When there was talk to save Bombardier. Develop the A200 as a MPA, using Lockheed Canada as prime. :)

Made in Quebec! System intergation in Ontario. Win win

Would the Cyclones systems be transferable, plus add others?

Lockheed needs a MPA product and they are buddies with Airbus right now. Developing a joint tanker LMXT for the next tanker order.

Ok my idea from years ago. When there was talk to save Bombardier. Develop the A200 as a MPA, using Lockheed Canada as prime. :)

Made in Quebec! System intergation in Ontario. Win win

Lockheed needs a MPA product and they are buddies with Airbus right now. Developing a joint tanker LMXT for the next tanker order.

Shudders in Cyclone

De Havilland launches Dash 8 P-4 maritime patrol aircraft - Air Data News

Or roll on/off maritime patrol kit for a c130 too someone was looking at developing.
1644535987133.gif
OBE. Longview swung the Dash 8 family back to de Havilland, and as armrdsoul77 notes above, DH and PAL are the latest version of Q400/P4 to be considered for pitching to Canada for CMA. Longview may even throw a bone to QC by asking L3MAS to do some minor work, as L3(Harris) has to date, been the only company to actually make a high-end ISR Q400. de Havilland inherited the work with L3HARRIS from Bombardier.

View attachment 68619

OBE. Longview swung the Dash 8 family back to de Havilland, and as armrdsoul77 notes above, DH and PAL are the latest version of Q400/P4 to be considered for pitching to Canada for CMA. Longview may even throw a bone to QC by asking L3MAS to do some minor work, as L3(Harris) has to date, been the only company to actually make a high-end ISR Q400. de Havilland inherited the work with L3HARRIS from Bombardier.
This also fits the bill. Made in Canada. Plus I doubt it can carry a weapons load. So that's a bonus our government. Plus the accountants will love as no weapons no cost.

Transferable or not, they are not properly sorted out yet or the right gear for a MMA/LRPA. MDMS isn’t a capable or as smooth as DMS (Aurora), the sensors aren’t as capable as Block 3 or 4 Aurora…think about what year the MHWS components were procured; it wasn’t yesterday.

If we’re going to replace a fleet, replace it with something MORE capable than Block 3 is/Block 4 will be.

Take a look at the P-1 radar. That’s the type of replacement we should be looking to; modern sensors that can add to the network centric warfare model that are on a faster, more reliable vehicle.

Back