• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Meanwhile in Alberta.

Seems like he isn’t a fan of the trucker convoy currently in Coutts.

Does anyone really believe that these protests will accelerate that process?

Yes. Policy has lagged public sentiment throughout this whole thing, starting with the adoption of measures and ending with the relaxation of measures. Active protestors are only a visible fraction of public sentiment. For the sake of face, that the protests have any influence will be denied. But politicians are still mostly weathervanes.

Yes. Policy has lagged public sentiment throughout this whole thing, starting with the adoption of measures and ending with the relaxation of measures. Active protestors are only a visible fraction of public sentiment.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the protestors had articulated a coherent message or goals grounded in reality.

For the sake of face, that the protests have any influence will be denied. But politicians are still mostly weathervanes.

I'd be surprised if some protestors don't attempt to take credit for pre-planned relaxation of the temporary measures they oppose.

Possibly. Do you really think these people want to “talk”?
I don't think it's fair to try and lump everyone together in one collective hive mind.
I think a lot of them probably do want to talk. I think there's a good portion that doesn't, as well.

The Prime Minister has went on the record as being the latter. What's the wisdom behind him refusing to engage in a conversation? Things will just balance themselves and they'll go away?

Does anyone here think the Prime Minister and LPC don't stand to benefit politically from the protest turning violent?

The coherence and substance of the protestors' grievances is much less important to politicians than the fact of unrest.

The immediate action for responding to political pressure is to ignore it. They've skipped straight from that to ridicule and defamation, so they're definitely feeling pressure.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of Canadians are sick and tired of COVID and all of the measures put in place to manage it.

An angry, vocal minority has staged these protests, but I don't believe that they have garnered the broad public support that you seem to think they have.

Most of the ridicule I've seen levelled at them hasn't been from the politicians...

I have no doubt that the vast majority of Canadians are sick and tired of COVID and all of the measures put in place to manage it.

An angry, vocal minority has staged these protests, but I don't believe that they have garnered the broad public support that you seem to think they have.

Most of the ridicule I've seen levelled at them hasn't been from the politicians...
How much of the ridicule is based on the social stigma associated with supporting it?

Trump polled very low before the vote in 2016, because the media made it so toxic to say you supported him that you had to keep it to yourself. There are many anonymous donations to the protest, that tells me people want to support it, but can't risk the social stigma of openly supporting it...

This editorial from CTV sums up my thoughts fairly well.

Don Martin: Trudeau's 'fringe' may keep on truckin' into something bigger

How much of the ridicule is based on the social stigma associated with supporting it?

Trump polled very low before the vote in 2016, because the media made it so toxic to say you supported him that you had to keep it to yourself. There are many anonymous donations to the protest, that tells me people want to support it, but can't risk the social stigma of openly supporting it...

This editorial from CTV sums up my thoughts fairly well.

Don Martin: Trudeau's 'fringe' may keep on truckin' into something bigger

Fully agree that the PM is scoring short-term political points without considering the longer-term effects of his rhetoric re the protestors.

I think the article accurately sums up most Canadians' frustrations with this pandemic and our governments' responses.

But, even Don Martin acknowledges that the protest is incoherent at best:

"No doubt Trudeau will be wildly applauded by most Canadians for his hard red line against a protest whose head-scratching leadership is advocating the overthrow of this government."

Fully agree that the PM is scoring short-term political points without considering the longer-term effects of his rhetoric re the protestors.

I think the article accurately sums up most Canadians' frustrations with this pandemic and our governments' responses.

But, even Don Martin acknowledges that the protest is incoherent at best:

"No doubt Trudeau will be wildly applauded by most Canadians for his hard red line against a protest whose head-scratching leadership is advocating the overthrow of this government."
He'll get some immediate support, but if the protest morphs into something more, his stance may come back to bite him hard.

On an unrelated note, the Canadian Press proves they are biased against conservative views...

Calling the Ottawa protests 'peaceful' downplays non-violent dangers, critics say

Does the media think the public is this dumb, or do they just assume tribalism will win out every time they post something dumb?

I don't think it's fair to try and lump everyone together in one collective hive mind.
I think a lot of them probably do want to talk. I think there's a good portion that doesn't, as well.

The Prime Minister has went on the record as being the latter. What's the wisdom behind him refusing to engage in a conversation? Things will just balance themselves and they'll go away?

Does anyone here think the Prime Minister and LPC don't stand to benefit politically from the protest turning violent?
He’s already scored political points with all the minor shenanigans. He can tank all the bad actors for providing that fuel.

It has nothing to do with lumping the group. He definitely won’t meet a mob. His security detail is likely doing its job.

So who does he meet? The leaders of this? King, Lich and Lichter? (Sounds like a trio of Dungeon and Dragons bad guys lol). And then who? Unity Canada? They gave a list of demands that shows either a fundamental misunderstanding of how our political system works or they are crazy.

That leaves the legit truckers. Who don’t seem to have a real leader or spokesperson other than the FluTruxKlan three that I mentioned.

So what about the actual voice of the truckers? The CTA. Looks THEY had a meeting with the minister on Jan 31st.

Looks like they said that the protesters don’t speak for the industry.

He’s already scored political points with all the minor shenanigans. He can tank all the bad actors for providing that fuel.

It has nothing to do with lumping the group. He definitely won’t meet a mob. His security detail is likely doing its job.

So who does he meet? The leaders of this? King, Lich and Lichter? (Sounds like a trio of Dungeon and Dragons bad guys lol). And then who? Unity Canada? They gave a list of demands that shows either a fundamental misunderstanding of how our political system works or they are crazy.

That leaves the legit truckers. Who don’t seem to have a real leader or spokesperson other than the FluTruxKlan three that I mentioned.

So what about the actual voice of the truckers? The CTA. Looks THEY had a meeting with the minister on Jan 31st.

The CTA stated as much long before this protest reached Ottawa. They made a point of distancing themselves from this early on.

Maybe he can meet with Rebel News. They seem really good at calming things down ;)

BREAKING: Alberta Truckers have asked for help, so we're crowdfunding a lawyer for them

We've hired the perfect lawyer for this, Chad Williamson and he’s bringing a team with him. Chad will do whatever he can to help — including to help de-escalate the situation.

The CTA stated as much long before this protest reached Ottawa. They made a point of distancing themselves from this early on.

So did the union.

Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa

HOFFA: COVID-19 VACCINE OFFERS FREEDOM​

We can’t let politics infiltrate what is just good policy.

I think his father, wherever he is, would be proud.

Maybe he can meet with Rebel News. They seem really good at calming things down ;)

BREAKING: Alberta Truckers have asked for help, so we're crowdfunding a lawyer for them

We've hired the perfect lawyer for this, Chad Williamson and he’s bringing a team with him. Chad will do whatever he can to help — including to help de-escalate the situation.

Ah so it seems Alberta isn’t taking lightly to a trucker protest. Hope Ottawa starts to get things moving here as well.

Most of the ridicule I've seen levelled at them is from this forum and public servants who get paid to stay home. The general public, that I interact with, largely support this protest.

Most of the ridicule I've seen levelled at them is from this forum and public servants who get paid to stay home. The general public, that I interact with, largely support this protest.

I suppose it all depends on who you interact with - I have had the opposite experience here in AB.

FWIW I work in an industry with requirements that are nearly identical to those being protested.

FWIW I work in an industry with requirements that are nearly identical to those being protested.

My former union sent a rep to hold their hands when they got fired.

That was it as far as support went.

Maybe. Btw it seems that O’toole may be out as leader. Just breaking now.
That’s two now. It’s finally occurred to the party the people they’re putting in place to lead us are the reasons we lose the elections of late.

Back